Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 03:48 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

It's true so many drink caffeine drinks later in the day or a lot during the day and wonder why they can't sleep. This is huge with young and old. I have a couple older friends who sip on coffee all day and can't sleep....duh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 04:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Have her take an evening sports class. My kids have been doing Taekwondo for a few years now. I recently signed up for the adult class and I can tell you it kicks my but. Best sleep ever too after we get home. I also drink lots of water as well and when it is warm I like to have the window open. Then again in our area we have a cool evening breeze coming off the Pacific.

If she does not want to take a class have her run in the evening.

I am not a fan of taking any drugs to sleep or wake up.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:02 PM

285 posts, read 262,325 times
I've had sleeping issues my whole life, mostly falling asleep, and agree with the exercise at night. Works like a charm. I go crazy at night and can't sleep, go to a gym, and literally work away my energy levels. Leave out exhausted and sleep like a baby. Best part is my internal alarm isn't waking me up at 7am all the time with it.

Only downside is sometimes my mind is wired and I do, rarely, take a sleeping pill to help me. Some people need them and some don't. I just happen to be someone who needs it sometimes.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:10 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Some people don't tolerate melatonin well in high doses. I'd suggest looking for a low dose first - 1 mg. If that doesn't work, she can increase the dosage but it's harder if you purchased a higher dosage to dial it back. I take it occasionally and I found that 1-2 mg is all I need. If I take more, I have very vivid dreams!
I definitely second this. I've used Melatonin relatively infrequently for almost 20 years and when I need it, I take the 1 mg, which I have always gotten from GNC. I ran out once and could only find 3 mg at the grocery store, so I took it a couple of nights and found that it made me feel edgy and anxious.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Does she drink caffeine in coffee or tea later In the day? On her phone or pad before going to bed? Getting to bed at pretty much the same time each night? Not eating or drinking after 7 in the evening and going to bed with a relatively empty stomach may help too. Is she getting any exercise in to tire her out? I would look into modifying any of those, if applicable, before going the supplement route.
I agree. Since you described it as a more recent onset, she should check what her routine is, and make adjustments. No TV or radio on at bed. No caffeine.

Does she read? Sometimes a hot bath, (look for lavender or mineral bath soak, very inexpensive at Walmart) some herbal tea, and nice clean bed sheets, comfortable pillows....fan for background noise, or soft restful music will help relax you, than a good book and you can fall asleep.

Unless she has some physical or neurological conditions...this should help. Otherwise maybe some counseling, in case something has happened that she hasn't shared with you that is causing her stress.

Natural Sleep Aids and Remedies

Old 07-29-2016, 10:52 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I can relate as I have always been a night owl. Having to get up in the mornings was always torture. I was lucky enough to have found a job with shift work. The 3pm til 1130pm was perfect for me.

Your daughter may just be a night owl. It's not something you can help, it's just in the DNA.

I still to this day only sleep 5 or 6 hours a night. Anything more and I feel like crap. My usual bed time is between 3am and 4am and up at around 930. It's just the way I'm wired.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I definitely second this. I've used Melatonin relatively infrequently for almost 20 years and when I need it, I take the 1 mg, which I have always gotten from GNC. I ran out once and could only find 3 mg at the grocery store, so I took it a couple of nights and found that it made me feel edgy and anxious.
YOu could have just bitten off a piece of that 3mg tab. I buy 1mg Source Naturals and bite 1/2 off so I figure it's 1/2mg which I take nightly, some nights a little less.

You can bite off little pieces and start from there with a 1mg tab.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:23 AM

506 posts, read 651,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For a couple of years now my daughter has had a hard time sleeping,shes usually up all night and complains she is tired all the time,shes broached the subject with the doctor with little success as she doesnt want to take sleeping pills, when i ask her what she is thinking is keeping her awake she cant give a reason for it. Any experience with this malady?

I take one Benedryl at 8pm every single night. Then, at eight thirty, I take ONE , 1mg sublingual Melatonin and I can actually "feel" it knocking me out. With melatonin , less is more . That's why I only take 1mg. I've tried higher doses, capsules with valerian , hops, etc in them, so many compounds but only the 1mg peppermint sublingual works for me . Not cheap. By Source Naturals.
Of course, I avoid caffeine after 1pm.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:31 AM

I recall this info when I read and heard about benzos and alzheimers. I've never taken benadryl and what I takes works good as a "knock out".

Benadryl Can Up Your Risk of Alzheimer’s

Old 07-29-2016, 11:56 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Make sure she does not have an overactive thyroid (and no, 26 is not "too young").

Symptoms are, inability to sleep, elevated pulse rate, weight loss, a feeling of being too warm, and after a while, a general feeling of not being well. No amount of melatonin or Benedryl will stop this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness