Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If it was for a virus, then antibiotics wouldn't have done anything at all.
To be fair, plenty of docs prescribed antibiotics for viral illnesses because they were trying to prevent a bacterial infection on top of the virus. For instance, a bad cold (virus) can depress immunity enough that the cold leads to pneumonia (bacteria). A doc doing this would have understood full well that the antibiotic was not for the virus, but the patient might not have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It seems like doctors used to hand out antibiotics like candy and we never heard anything about antibiotic resistance back then. I'm glad it's changed. It's kind of funny though that the reason that antibiotics aren't sold OTC is because we might overuse them, when it used to be the doctors overprescribing them.
Yes, they sure did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 02:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
The doc prescribed the medicine to ward off infection saying diabetics are more prone to infection,he said make sure you take all the pills. The pharmacist said the same thing. I had no intention of not following through with the whole cycle i was just curious as to the reason for their insistence on taking all the pills.
I now have the answer.
Thanks

Old 08-04-2016, 04:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Had a few teeth removed last week and doc gave me a prescription for Antibiotics,pharmacist said take 4 pills a day for 7 days,he really emphasized taking all the pills,got me wondering what happens if i stop taking the pills halfway through the cycle?
I think all doctors and pharmacists stress the importance of finishing the antibiotics. apparently it is meant to assure no infection sets in or if there is an infection it is completely gone before stopping meds. I also think many do not take them the entire time: shame of us!!! my feeling, if the doctor prescribes you obey. You have nothing to lose and would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:00 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
My answer would be "probably nothing" if you had routine dental extractions and basic good health. However, if you have a significant underlying health condition or the extractions were complicated, not only do you risk resistance, but you also may get the infection (ie. endocarditis? dry socket?) your dentist is trying to avoid. Dental extractions release a huge bacterial load into your boodstream, but regardless prophylactic antibiotics are often overprescribed (but may not be in your case).

Last edited by west seattle gal; 08-04-2016 at 08:08 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 02:05 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
When -- and if -- a secondary bacterial infection actually occurs following a virus is the time to prescribe antibiotics to treat the (non-existent) secondary bacterial infection. SMH!

Old 08-08-2016, 02:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The doc prescribed the medicine to ward off infection saying diabetics are more prone to infection,he said make sure you take all the pills. The pharmacist said the same thing. I had no intention of not following through with the whole cycle i was just curious as to the reason for their insistence on taking all the pills.
I now have the answer.
Thanks
They always want to prescribe more antibiotics when you're diabetic. Last time I had a UTI, I had to take cipro for 10 days instead of the usual 3, which was really hard on my stomach.

I'm glad you took the meds in case they were needed!

Old 08-08-2016, 02:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I've finished the bottle and tossed it but the pills were big round and orange in color.
looked like these=
http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomen...ls-940x626.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness