Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 05:00 AM

167 posts, read 167,973 times

Advertisements

1 unit = 1.5 oz
I've been drinking 5-7 units a day for many years right up until bedtime. I recently read that this is bad for sleep. I never thought so because I'm usually asleep within minutes of laying down. Anyway, I just completed my second night of only 2 units and stopping at least 2hrs. Before retiring. The only thing I've noticed is the difficulty I've had falling asleep. I still woke up many times throughout the night. I realize there will probably be an adjustment period but I'd like to have an idea of when I may start to see some improvement in my sleep? Anyone else been they this yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 11:33 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
A family member drank all his life and not a little, and he was always out like a light when he hit the bed. I'm not condoning this. He was an alcoholic. Drank every day after 4PM.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:24 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
I think it interferes with REM sleep, or something like that, so that you don't wake up well-rested. You sleep but it isn't a very "deep" sleep.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:49 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,064 times
1.5 ounces of what?

If you mean liquor, that means you are a heavy drinker and you are now in alcohol withdrawal. You should seek medical attention; alcohol withdrawal is dangerous, even when medically supervised.

Quote:
I recently read that this is bad for sleep. I never thought so because I'm usually asleep within minutes of laying down.
Alcohol helps you fall asleep but disrupts the ability to stay asleep and get restful sleep.

Now that you are withdrawing, you will have the opposite effects of alcohol until your body adjusts, which may be quite a while, especially if you do not receive medical care. Google "post acute withdrawal syndrome".

Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
1.5 ounces of what?

If you mean liquor, that means you are a heavy drinker and you are now in alcohol withdrawal. You should seek medical attention; alcohol withdrawal is dangerous, even when medically supervised.

Alcohol helps you fall asleep but disrupts the ability to stay asleep and get restful sleep.

Now that you are withdrawing, you will have the opposite effects of alcohol until your body adjusts, which may be quite a while, especially if you do not receive medical care. Google "post acute withdrawal syndrome".
I would agree, that seems to be a lot of alcohol and I am one of those who loves my wine, but not 5 to 7 drinks a night. Yes, he appears to have a drinking issue and yes, to the OP: drinking helps you fall asleep but it usually interferes with your ability to stay asleep.
usually interferes with your ability to stay asleep. OP, eventually you will balance out and be able to both fall asleep and stay that way. Glad you cut back. Seems like the amount you are now drinking is within a normal range. At least it probably will never hurt you.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
1 unit = 1.5 oz
I've been drinking 5-7 units a day for many years right up until bedtime. I recently read that this is bad for sleep. I never thought so because I'm usually asleep within minutes of laying down. Anyway, I just completed my second night of only 2 units and stopping at least 2hrs. Before retiring. The only thing I've noticed is the difficulty I've had falling asleep. I still woke up many times throughout the night. I realize there will probably be an adjustment period but I'd like to have an idea of when I may start to see some improvement in my sleep? Anyone else been they this yet?
Only two days into a change of routine isn't nearly enough to adapt to it. It takes people almost a week to adjust to a large time change (jet lag). Expecting your body to adapt in a few nights is simply not realistic. As you know, alcohol is a sedative. If you took a sedative to go to sleep for many years, then stopped, it would probably take a while to adjust. Give it some time.

Also, with enough exercise, you will sleep. Consider getting more, at least temporarily. There are natural sleep aids that work pretty well. I'm not a fan of seeking pharmaceutical solutions for simple problems, but if you simply CAN'T sleep, there's a pill for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness