Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:15 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here had their back, (L4 & L5) fused and if so
how long were you out of work, was it real painful?
How long until you were normal again?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 02:20 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Has anyone here had their back, (L4 & L5) fused and if so
how long were you out of work, was it real painful?
How long until you were normal again?

Thank you
I've had my entire lumbar spine fused in two separate operations. Was it painful? Well, I was sedated so no. If you mean afterwards, I took pain pills to eliminate the pain. How long before I was normal again? Probably a month or so. Not a big deal.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
L4-5-S1 fused. Not painful after but I was on major pain killers. Probably 6 months to get back to myself.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
L4-5-S1 fused. Not painful after but I was on major pain killers. Probably 6 months to get back to myself.
I had my knees done and was wondering what the pain level was....afterwards...hope to get back to work in 6 weeks? I sit all day....
When you say to get back to yourself what does that mean?
Do you mean pain wise, can you be more specific....

What things shouldn't you do? And why?

Do you have any suggestions...to help me know what I'm looking at here?

I'm a bit apprehensive about this....? How long did you take the pain killers?

My doctor says it is a 2 - 3 hour surgery? But the fusion scares me.
I also have some spinal stenosis, which isn't bad, a herniated disk and bone spurs which must be shaved off.

Thanks so much

Old 08-21-2015, 03:32 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,719 times
Quote:
I had my knees done and was wondering what the pain level was....afterwards...hope to get back to work in 6 weeks? I sit all day....
When you say to get back to yourself what does that mean?
Do you mean pain wise, can you be more specific....

What things shouldn't you do? And why?

Do you have any suggestions...to help me know what I'm looking at here?

I'm a bit apprehensive about this....? How long did you take the pain killers?

My doctor says it is a 2 - 3 hour surgery? But the fusion scares me.
I also have some spinal stenosis, which isn't bad, a herniated disk and bone spurs which must be shaved off.

Thanks so much
I have to revise my estimate of how long it will take to be back to normal. My first fusion took me about two months to get back to mostly normal, however my second fusion, which was more complicated, and I also have stenosis, took about four months plus to almost get back to normal. Then I was rear ended (long story). Yes there is a LOT of pain pills involved which will certainly impair your working and driving. I wasn't supposed to drive for at least six weeks, mostly due to the pain pills you have to take and I don't mean mild pain pills either.

Also, I don't understand why you are nervous about a fusion. It's just another operation. If you have a good surgeon there shouldn't be any reason to be nervous.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
I needed pain pills for about a week after I got home. I was tired and it ached to walk too much I went back to work after 1 month but only 1/2 time. At 6 months I had to go back full time.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I needed pain pills for about a week after I got home. I was tired and it ached to walk too much I went back to work after 1 month but only 1/2 time. At 6 months I had to go back full time.
Thank you so much SouthernBelleInUtah....what did you do for a living...at the time?

Wow, I surely hope it doesn't take me 6 months?
I was told to eat a lot of protein.

Greatly appreciate your help.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:46 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
I just had my first epidural steroid injections (L5 and a facet joint) a few days ago. The first 12 hours was nice until the local wore off.

Really hoping the injections "take" as we were planning to go on vacation in three weeks.

I have a synovial cyst and an appointment with a neurosurgeon to discuss removal of it. They tell me sometimes the cyst removal solves the problem, sometimes (apparently) the region is too unstable to leave un-fused. So I expect I will be told soon I need the same area fused (L4-L5-S1). I always plan for the worst, so I'm wondering is it true that you can't bend over after a lumbar spinal fusion?

On recovery, I've heard 3 months minimum to know whether or not the bone graft has taken.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I just had my first epidural steroid injections (L5 and a facet joint) a few days ago. The first 12 hours was nice until the local wore off.

Really hoping the injections "take" as we were planning to go on vacation in three weeks.

I have a synovial cyst and an appointment with a neurosurgeon to discuss removal of it. They tell me sometimes the cyst removal solves the problem, sometimes (apparently) the region is too unstable to leave un-fused. So I expect I will be told soon I need the same area fused (L4-L5-S1). I always plan for the worst, so I'm wondering is it true that you can't bend over after a lumbar spinal fusion?

On recovery, I've heard 3 months minimum to know whether or not the bone graft has taken.

I'm so sorry to hear that, back pain can be a real disability....I hope you feel better soon.

I used to get the injections, 6 years ago, but they no longer work.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:52 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear that, back pain can be a real disability....I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks. I share your sense of unease about the fusion. I'm sure it'll probably be fine, but I'm 61. I didn't expect anything like this to happen so soon -- but I'm probably not alone in feeling that way, right? (she said ruefully...)

Like you, I think, I want to know what my new limits will be if I have to have this done. Fun stuff like, will I be able to climb stairs while I'm recovering? All our bedrooms are upstairs, we haven't bought the "retirement house" yet! I guess I'd better be looking at ranch-style homes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness