Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:21 PM

128 posts, read 250,771 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Really looking for some advice or tips on how to improve my health. I feel like I've really messed up and so worried that I won't be able to go back to healthy me from couple of years ago

For the past couple of years I've been eating mostly at fast food restaurants while also consuming a lot of coffee on daily basis. Now it's caught up to me and I feel so tired and out of energy most of the time. I have removed junk food completely from my diet as well as limited my coffee intake to 1 cup in the morning, but still feel incredibly tired.

The only thing that my doctor can tell is that I have a vitamin D deficiency but consuming subscribed vitamin D pills doesn't seem to help much.

What can I do? Please help.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:14 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,942 times
Stay totally away from fads, pseudoscience, unproven things and Internet celebrities.

Go for simple, healthy, proven stuff. Here is a great, free resource for you. SuperTracker | Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion

Old 08-30-2016, 08:52 PM

Thanks a lot, imagineAA!! I've bookmarked the web site and will start using it.

I think I should also mention that I'm only 32 years old, 5'10 and at about 200 lbs or so. I guess a little overweight but not by too much. I try to be as active as possible and like walking a lot as time allows it.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:02 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
This happened to me, then I got hepatitis, and couldn't recover normally because I'd been eating badly - and too much cooked food. I only got better when I went to a nutritionist who had me do a colon cleanse and eat only RAW food. Barely cooked soft-boiled eggs, raw salad, raw beef. Immediate turn-around w/in two weeks, but it still took a year to get back on my feet. Long story.

That was 37 years ago, better now, but I learned my lesson and have been a nut about proper nutrition ever since. Now 74, no health issues whatsoever.

You've gotta start grocery shopping and cooking - or start eating from an organic deli - FRESH, steamed from scratch veggies/salads/main entrees. My local organic hot bar and deli are great.

All my grocery shopping is done at a local organic store and buy everything but citrus and coffee, there. Yes, I still drink coffee daily - ONLY in the a.m. w/breakfast - 2-4 cups w/skim milk. Coffee has a lot of antioxidants so it's not that bad for you I don't believe, but I also don't believe you can drink it all day long. I don't. During the day I squeeze juice of lemon in 16 oz. water, nights I'll have a vegetable juice/lemon. And lots of filtered water. I use a Brita.

Where to begin.

In order of importance:

Have a large fresh salad every day with a wide variety of FRESH vegetables like onions, radish, cucumber, garlic, tomatoes, avocado. Garlic/onions are a must. A fresh salad is health insurance, I firmly believe. This alone will provide a huge energy boast and start body detoxification.

I'm a great believe in organic dairy, and at the very least hormone/antibiotic-free grass fed beef. I only buy beef raised this way. I never buy farm-raised fish. Wild-caught, only. Eggs are organic and/or free range from LOCAL producers - not from a major chain.

Chickens - Amish or similar ONLY. I never buy Tyson, Purdue or any meat products from a chain store
Pork - nitrite/nitrate free.
Extra virgin olive oil (it's dark green) only, occasionally canola oil.
No trans or hydrogenated fats.
Eat only whole grain bread. Mine is a heavy-duty seven-grain - 1-2 slices a day, usually at breakfast.
Shop the perimeters of your grocery store.
Don't buy canned/frozen vegetables/fruit or anything in a box.

My typical diet - I only eat twice a day, now (it's an age thing):

Breakfast:
  • Grapefruit - 1 whole fresh daily. For me this a must.
  • 2 organic eggs w/1 slice whole wheat toast/or almond butter/jelly ww toast/or buckwheat pancakes w/fresh strawberries/blueberries, REAL maple syrup.
  • Orange juice - 8 oz. (Tropicana/Florida Naturals) w/daily vitamins
  • Coffee w/organic skim milk

Snack:
  • Fresh granny smith apple w/almond butter or raw nuts (walnuts/pecans/almonds)

Dinner:
  • Salad
  • Protein - fish/beef steak/pork
  • Veggie - fresh steamed
  • Dessert: Breyer's Natural Vanilla Ice Cream w/fresh organic strawberries/blueberries (Note: I always have fresh organic strawberries, raspberries/blueberries in the fridge.) Insert paper towels into the fruit containers to absorb moisture, put fruit containers into green bags - fruit will last a week, sometimes longer.
I eat like this every day. My food budget runs about $350/mo., sometimes more.

Since you're so fatigued, start by focusing on fresh greens to which you can add a steamed green like spinach.

I could talk about this all day, but you get the idea.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-30-2016 at 09:30 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 PM

275 posts, read 469,982 times
If you start looking at the ingredients in food, there are so many horrible things I don't even know how to pronounce. Watch out for gmo good too. Our dairy is also poisoned with antibiotics. Good luck! You can do it! The more aware you are, the better your health will be

Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 PM

Thank you so much, Ariadne22!! This is so helpful! I will be referencing your post as I go grocery shopping. Coincidentally there is a new fresh salad place that opened next door to my job. I'll try it tomorrow.

I also thought about trying to see a nutritionist regarding my problem. I think maybe cleansing might help a little.

Thanks again!!

Old 08-30-2016, 09:32 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Hi guys,

Really looking for some advice or tips on how to improve my health. I feel like I've really messed up and so worried that I won't be able to go back to healthy me from couple of years ago

For the past couple of years I've been eating mostly at fast food restaurants while also consuming a lot of coffee on daily basis. Now it's caught up to me and I feel so tired and out of energy most of the time. I have removed junk food completely from my diet as well as limited my coffee intake to 1 cup in the morning, but still feel incredibly tired.

The only thing that my doctor can tell is that I have a vitamin D deficiency but consuming subscribed vitamin D pills doesn't seem to help much.

What can I do? Please help.

Steve
Do you sleep well? Sleep apnea can cause some of what you describe.
What Is Sleep Apnea? - NHLBI, NIH

Old 08-30-2016, 10:49 PM

31 posts, read 29,635 times
Do you exercise? Do you get enough sleep?
What you eat is just one part of a healthy lifestyle. There are more factors that you should be considering.
If you'd like, check out the tips here.

45 Tips To Live a Healthier Life

Old 08-31-2016, 02:40 AM

44 posts, read 59,642 times
Great post, Ariadne22! Very detailed and informative. I will print it out for ready reference. Thank you very much.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsandsneer View Post
Do you exercise? Do you get enough sleep?
What you eat is just one part of a healthy lifestyle. There are more factors that you should be considering.
If you'd like, check out the tips here.

45 Tips To Live a Healthier Life
Thanks a lot. I'm afraid I'm not getting anywhere near enough exercise just because I feel so exhausted by the time I get home from work. I loved reading the tips and will start following them. Thank you!!

It used to be I would only sleep up to 6 hours a night, but now I stopped staying up late and get at least 8 hours everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness