Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:58 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times

Advertisements

My doc says my blood work (BUN and creatinine are fine, just the ratio is off but he doesn't care about that).

Phew! Now I just have to worry about my liver labs which have not been good and I've been tested 2+ times for everything known to man to no avail.

He now wants to do a liver biopsy :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 09:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
OP - did you fast before your blood draw? If you weren't drinking anything for some hours than you could have been dehydrated, especially in summer time weather.

Ask your doctor to redo the BUN test just to be sure.

I've sometimes gotten funky readings on blood tests because while I'm fasting before the blood draw I forget that it's OK to drink water. LOL
yep, in fact they are encouraging us to drink water. There was a time we could not. I think the only time we can't drink water is when certain tests are being done: in that case the doctor or nurse will stress "NO WATER"

Old 08-13-2016, 05:29 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
My doc says my blood work (BUN and creatinine are fine, just the ratio is off but he doesn't care about that).

Phew! Now I just have to worry about my liver labs which have not been good and I've been tested 2+ times for everything known to man to no avail.

He now wants to do a liver biopsy :-/

Do you take meds for high cholesterol? I took Simvastatin for years & started getting unusual results on blood tests for liver. Doc took me off Simvastain & 3 months later the blood tests results were normal, and remain normal.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:00 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
What's the GFR?

Glomerular filtration rate (kidneys). Search engine is your buddy.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Do you take meds for high cholesterol? I took Simvastatin for years & started getting unusual results on blood tests for liver. Doc took me off Simvastain & 3 months later the blood tests results were normal, and remain normal.
I had a similar reaction after years on Simvastatin. My doctor cut mine dosage way down and I am doing fine now. I think we all realize for all the good so many meds do, there are side effects that have to e considered.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I had a similar reaction after years on Simvastatin. My doctor cut mine dosage way down and I am doing fine now. I think we all realize for all the good so many meds do, there are side effects that have to e considered.

So true. Supposedly one day they'll have DNA tests that will show which meds are safe for each person.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:57 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Glomerular filtration rate (kidneys). Search engine is your buddy.
I was ASKING the OP what her GFR was, not asking for a definition. If you had read the thread, it would have been obvious that no one else even mentioned GFR.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:16 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I was ASKING the OP what her GFR was, not asking for a definition. If you had read the thread, it would have been obvious that no one else even mentioned GFR.

Actually, you said "What's THE GFR" as opposed to "What's YOUR GFR."

For all I knew, you were someone who saw a discussion of kidney issues and wanted to know what a GFR is, having heard at some point that a GFR is a relevant measurement.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:16 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:

For all I knew, you were someone who saw a discussion of kidney issues and wanted to know what a GFR is, having heard at some point that a GFR is a relevant measurement.
Actually, I think it was pretty clear what city living was asking and it was pretty obvious based on context..

Reading comprehension is your buddy....

Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:

Uh huh. And that's what I would have used that Google thing you so KINDLY pointed out. Why would I come to this forum to ask what GFR is with half of this board is full of quackery promotion?

THE vs. YOUR. Hm. Oh the confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Actually, I think it was pretty clear what city living was asking and it was pretty obvious based on context..

Reading comprehension is your buddy....
Thank you. Given that I replied to her BUN/CREAT. values, since creatinine is used in the calculation of the eGFR, it wouldn't even make sense that I was asking what it was, randomly, in the middle of a conversation. MAYBE if I was one of those random posters who you'll see roll in and doesn't know how to use a forum but it doesn't seem that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness