Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 06:36 AM

50,356 posts, read 36,005,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am not liking aging. I am 53 and suddenly everything seems to be going wrong. I feel like I am in the same shape as my dad who is 86.

I was athletic, but I cannot do much of anything to exercise now. My knees hurt a lot all the time - running is out. My lower back is terrible I cannot bend over and pick anything up off the ground, sometimes I cannot tie my shoes and I have to have my wife tie them for me. At random times I feel like I am being stabbed int he back and the pain radiates down into my hip and leg. It is severe. Sometimes it makes me cry out in pain, much to my embarrassment. I apparently have planar facietis (or whatever). If I do not put pad thingies in my shoes, then after sitting for a while my heels/feet hurt so much I can barely walk. My hip hurts often maybe all the time, but I think that is probably because of my back. I have to sleep on my back with a pillow under my upper legs or my back hurts so much in the morning I cannot get out of bed without Advil. This is not a comfortable way to sleep. However I do not sleep well anyway. I have not slept well in more than 20 years.

My back has been a problem for decades, but not like this. It wodl just go out once in a while and i would evntually be able to exercise again and as long as I stayed strong, it would not be a problem. My knees have hurt for a while too (maybe ten years), but it was always when I got weak, and by exercising a lot I seemed ot build up the muscle to wear there was no longer a problem.

Now I cannot exercise much. If I do weights, I cannot get up off the bench by the second set. Leg workouts are out of the question. I do long walks it hurts a little, but it is bearable. I can do some bicycle riding without pain. Running is impossible. I also climb a lot of stairs due to where I park for work - lots of pain there, but not unbearable. Most of my exercise now is yard work. However I can only pick one or two things up then I need someone to hand them to me. As long as it is at waist level I can carry 150 pounds or so with no trouble, but I could not even think about picking that up off the ground. I can use a rake or hoe to pick up some items as long as I do not bend over to pick them up. If I sit in the ground, I need a person or a walking stick to get back up. If I sit in a chair, I need a hard seat/back and arm rests to push myself out of the chair. I cannot get out of those soft camping chairs without my walking stick. I also throw axes, knives and atlatl and that actually provides some exercise/strengthening. Problem is I need someone to pick them up for me if I miss.

It seems like I should not have this much trouble already. However maybe it is normal. One Dr. said it is just aging and that is how it is.

It is normal to have everything break down all at once like this? Is there anything that can be done about it? I have been to various doctors who all give me different diagnosis and different suggestions. Knee replacement, removal of torn cartilage, physical therapy, just grit your teeth and bear it, you are getting old. . . . Chiropractor gives me some temporary relief form the back pain, but it lasts for a day at best.

One Dr. said I should have surgery on my back, another said they will cut through the muscles and do more damage than good in all likelihood and I will never recover. Family Dr. said go get cartilage surgery for m knees, but he spent about 45 seconds diagnosing my issues. My brother had knee surgery and it made him worse. On the other hand, my mother had both knees placed and in six months she was able to walk without a walker. I have not been able to try physical therapy because they are never open except when I am at work.

They are suggesting these things without really doing a lot of testing or anything. I have had some X-rays that showed nothing, but the insurance company will not approve an MRI - at least so far. I have no idea whether an MRI will really tell them anything or not.

So I am curious about other people's experiences. Did others have this happen? At what age? Is this something that I should just expect from aging and live with? What helps? What kind of dr.s did you find provided the best advice?

I have always prided myself on being the hardest worker. I have a desk job, but I do a lot of community service/charity work and work on the yard/house. However now I cannot do a lot now except manage/organize. I feel like a chump walking around telling younger people what I need them to do and then standing there watching them sweat. I really want to be strong again. Is there any way to get there?
Yes, it's normal. I am 54 and getting ready to have back surgery on Sept. 7. I too was very athletic, in fact I competed for a few years in Olympic weightlifting, beginning at age 40. I used to be a gym rat, run, etc. I live on a second floor, and used to pride myself on getting all my groceries up in one trip...I looked at it like a challenge.

The problem is, those things, while they may be good for muscles, are horrible for your spine. All those little traumas to your spine and other bones become arthritic. I also have a genetic history of arthritis, and no amount of exercise can defeat genetics totally. But honestly the things I was doing, thinking they were good for me, were the worst things I could have done. You should not be even trying to lift heavy once you start having spine problems.

About your back problems, I don't see where you have gotten an MRI yet? That is first step, and you might have to fight for it. Second is P.T. I don't see if you mentioned P.T.?

Don't go by others regarding your back surgery. I never wanted it either, but I went from a tolerable pain in my left hip and leg when I walked too far or stood too long to waking up one day in March unable to even walk to the bathroom (I crawled). I had 4 epidurals, and now trying the surgery because I just want it over with either way (it sucks never knowing when the epidurals are going to wear off, my longest only lasted 5 weeks).

I have crappy insurance, but my surgeon thank God has a good rep (my pain mgmt doc recommended him). It is not as invasive as you might think. He is scraping some bone off the vertebrae where the nerve is being impinged, putting in a spacer, and adding some reinforcement with something called Coflex. I don't even have to stay overnight but come home same day.

I will say your experiences with the medical community sound all too typical. You have to be assertive and insist on good care (I had to lodge a complaint about my first doc with his practice before he would allow me to get an MRI, then after the results (herniations at L5-S1 and spinal stenosis) proved he was wrong about my diagnosis (tendonitis, he insisted), he dismissed me to pain management

Don't give up, but you really have to change how you do everything, from how you pick things up (should be ideally in a lunge position, squat second best, but if you can't do either bite the bullet and buy a reacher, I have 4 right now) to how you sleep to what exercises you do. This will apply to every body part that is now bothering you.

Again, you need MRI first, then P.T. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 08:45 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,884,536 times
Regarding back surgery:

With surgery, you will continue to have back pain. That is what the surgeon will tell you. You will also have scar tissue that most likely will become an issue in the future. And you may, eventually, need a second surgery to fix that (little fact most will NOT tell you).

I would go through every single option you have available to you before resorting to surgery, because surgery will only lesson the pain, not remove it completely. Any surgeon SHOULD tell you that.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:46 AM

18,754 posts, read 11,739,079 times
Yikes if you're this bad in your early 50's I can't imagine what your quality of life will be like in your 60's.

Do you have a low tolerance for pain?

I'll be 60 in January and I do have pain issues from time to time, especially after a 3 hour strenuous night bike ride. My knees and ankles hurt for a day or two but I try to ride every two or three nights. You just suck it up and do it. The more I work through the pain the stronger I get and the less it hurts.

I went to work on a broken ankle for a week. Yes it was crazy and yes I had some good pharms, but mind over matter goes a long way.

I love my bike but I can't wait for ski season. In the mean time I'll do those strenuous rides and keep my legs ready for those snowy hills. I plan on being this way well into my 80's. Pain and all.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:17 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,626,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Regarding back surgery:

With surgery, you will continue to have back pain. That is what the surgeon will tell you. You will also have scar tissue that most likely will become an issue in the future. And you may, eventually, need a second surgery to fix that (little fact most will NOT tell you).

I would go through every single option you have available to you before resorting to surgery, because surgery will only lesson the pain, not remove it completely. Any surgeon SHOULD tell you that.
I agree with the above comments.

I would do ALL to avoid back surgery. I have heard horror stories from those going for a 2nd and a 3rd...it's a vicious cycle once you start. I talked my 72 brother out of fusion/lam back surgery over a year ago. He's doing OK, stretching, PT, exercising and he golfs just about every day.

Once back surgery, I understand one can barely bend over. I have a 60 yr back mess and bend every day. Work with it in many other protocols. And do my stretching. I'm 78 and have been using a back support for years.

After this surgery now your dealing with screws in the back and then the concern about infection.

I'm a pretty narley mess from hip replacement in 2010.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yikes if you're this bad in your early 50's I can't imagine what your quality of life will be like in your 60's.

Do you have a low tolerance for pain?

I'll be 60 in January and I do have pain issues from time to time, especially after a 3 hour strenuous night bike ride. My knees and ankles hurt for a day or two but I try to ride every two or three nights. You just suck it up and do it. The more I work through the pain the stronger I get and the less it hurts.

I went to work on a broken ankle for a week. Yes it was crazy and yes I had some good pharms, but mind over matter goes a long way.

I love my bike but I can't wait for ski season. In the mean time I'll do those strenuous rides and keep my legs ready for those snowy hills. I plan on being this way well into my 80's. Pain and all.

I would surely work on NOT beating up my only body.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:54 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,536,196 times
OP,
I see many have recommended swimming. I just wanted to add to my original comment about signing up at the YMCA for a water exercise class for seniors and those with arthritis - that the exercises are done in the low end of the pool or with noodles, so, no swimming is required to take this type of water exercise class.

Being one of about 50% of the adult population who did not learn to swim as a child- after my experience with the water exercise classes I decided I wanted to overcome my fear of the deep end of the pool. With another non swimmer from my exercise class, we approached the local YMCA to see if they had an instructor who was willing to give semi private adult lessons once a week. It took me two 8 week sessions - but, I did learn to swim just before I turned 50. The YMCA had never considered offering adult beginner semi private swimming classes until we asked. They made it a regular offering after that and it proved to be quite popular. (For years I thought I was the only adult who could not swim - I was surprised to discover a large percentage of the adult population never learned to swim. I wish I had asked about adult swim lessons much sooner rather than waiting until I was 50.)

Old 08-20-2016, 03:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,865,875 times
As some have said, surgery is probably in your future if you keep doing what you're doing. Just remember, you'll find people that had a great result from surgery, you'll find people that say it didn't help, and you'll find people that actually are worse after surgery. Its kind of a crap shoot. Let the buyer beware. Personally, I try to stay away from doctors.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
As some have said, surgery is probably in your future if you keep doing what you're doing. Just remember, you'll find people that had a great result from surgery, you'll find people that say it didn't help, and you'll find people that actually are worse after surgery. Its kind of a crap shoot. Let the buyer beware. Personally, I try to stay away from doctors.

Just heard my weekend PRP/Stem Cell MD on the radio. And he is so against surgery, unless a real emergency. Elective, we elect and we live with outcome from our election. I live with a hip mess going on 6 yrs that I elected in FAITH that I would be better. I'm NOT.

The MD talks about every other patient he gets is either thinking of surgery or living with failed surgery and many in more pain than before.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,237,372 times
Keep moving. Keep trying. Just do it. My back goes out if I don't keep it strong. (I'm 55)

I've been taking joint supplements for years. Me, the dogs, the horses, we all take them. Hard to move without them. Glucosamine can help lubricate and rebuild cartilage.

Anyway, don't despair. Don't give up. We all have good days and bad days.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,253,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
For the swimmers, it would beneficial to NOT swim in fluoridated water. OA, fractures are aggrevated more by fluorides.
Can you cite some research on this, please? Necessary because unless you're gonna go swim in lake, river or swimmin' hole, it's pretty much impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness