Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:25 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times

Advertisements

Yes, having more pain - especially in joints - is normal for our age group. I find that if I stay in one place too long, everything gets sore and stiff. Even though it hurts to start moving, once I going, it doesn't hurt (as much).

I agree that shoes and mattresses CAN make a difference. I know I need new shoes when my legs, then my back starts hurting more than usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 12:20 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Pilates instructors go through at minimum two years training/experience, hundreds of hours of observations, written tests, student teaching and some even work as an apprentice. Each type of equipment used has a different certification (mat, reformer, cadillac, etc.). You cannot get a certificate online, take a few classes and "teach" Pilates. It doesn't work that way. You know nothing about Joseph Pilates and how he created his method or his philosophy of fitness.

PTs do NOT have the equivalent of a PhD. Far from it. They are taught to address the problem. That is, if someone comes in with a lower disc issue, they do body mechanics to maneuver the spine. HOWEVER, if the disc issue was caused by muscle weakness and inflexibility in the leg, core and shoulder that torqued the body into a position where the spine was compromised and resulted in pressure on the disc ... the PT does NOT help. Not at all. That person could spend a lifetime in PT and never have relief because the underlying problem of weakness and inflexibility is NEVER fixed. But they sure do move that spine around.

I know five people who have had a lower back injury -- all went to PT. Not one benefited from PT, and in three cases, PT made the injury WORSE.

Get a good chiro, and get into pilates, swim and walk.
You have no idea what you are talking about

Old 08-21-2016, 03:24 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
YMMV:
Chicken Collagen Review | Natural Joint Pain Relief
What is Chicken Collagen?

Chicken collagen, also known as chicken type II collagen or chicken cartilage, is the protein found in the cartilage, bones, and other tissues of a chicken. Many animals – including humans – have collagen in their skin, joints, and bones. Chicken collagen, however, is the most popular collagen product regularly used in medicine.

Chicken collagen contains joint-boosting chemicals: chondroitin and glucosamine, both of which might help rebuild cartilage.
= = = = = =

FWIW - you may find improvement adding chicken collagen into your diet.

You can get chicken collagen from soup - there are plenty of chicken collagen recipes online. Typically, they’re labeled as chicken stock recipes or bone broth recipes.

These recipes all work the same basic way: you boil chicken bones for a long period of time in water (like 12-24 hours). This eventually causes the bones to become brittle, unlocking the valuable collagen inside. Then, you add various spices and herbs to make a tasty and nutritious soup.

Of course, it takes less time if you use a PRESSURE COOKER.
(Embarrassing admission - I love to chew on softened bones and eat the marrow. I keep picturing a cavemen grunting to his mate. Tim Allen grunting.)

Another enhancement - splinter the bones in a blender (with plenty of stock / liquid to prevent jamming), and strain out the chunks. You will have a rich, brown gelatinous stock.
CAVEMAN BONE MARROW SOUP STOCK !!!

Old 08-21-2016, 03:47 AM

248 posts, read 194,269 times
I do Tai Chi which has been very helpful. Water exercises are also good and less stressful on the joints. Go on line and find some workouts. Many athletes have these type of problems. Too much of a so-called good thing can cause you harm. Perhaps you have arthritis of some type. Also exercise to help w/ these ailments.

Try not to compare yourself to others. I also went sugar and gluten free and NO caffeine!!!! Avoid highly refined foods and artificial sweeteners. We are what we eat.

Only a few suggestions. What works for one person does not work for another.

Another one of we oldies, but goodies...

Old 08-21-2016, 03:56 AM

I have found aging to be a challenge. does not mean I go to a doctor for every little pain. Personally, I avoid them. Mostly if they cannot prescribe some new-fangled medication they don't feel like an MD. The power is in the prescription pad...POOH!

Old 08-21-2016, 05:24 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Arthritis often settles into joints that formerly suffered injuries or excessive use. Muscles and tendons deteriorate with use.

My brother played football for a Big Ten school. He participated in multiple competitive team sports in his younger years and continues to this day running, exercising at at gym, and playing in a basketball league. If you watched him walk and didn't see his face, you'd think he was an 80-year-old man. He's had shoulder surgery, multiple knee surgeries, and hip replacements. My other brother had an almost identical youth and also earned a college football scholarship. After graduating he stayed fit but participated in far less abusive methods. Today, nearing retirement age, he walks instead of runs, does yoga every day, and plays golf. He looks younger than his age, instead of older and he spends far less time in a doctor's office.

What this tells me is we need to go easier on our bodies as we age. Of course we need to exercise and eat right, but the abusive routines that many Americans pursue in the name of physical fitness often cause more problems than they solve. Just ask Jane Fonda, fitness queen of the 1980s. She's had to have practically every joint in her body replaced.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:29 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I lift heavy and train hard and know I am one injury away from ending my action hero career.
It tends to be the odd moment of inattention that causes injuries.
The hardest thing is not doing anything while the affected area heals.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:54 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I think sometimes we do some damage through years of exercise too.. but our joints start to age... I noticed at around 60 that wearing high heels was starting to hurt my lower back... I hated giving into this and only wore them on special occassions. going down an inch in heel height and wearing wedges more.. which are much more comfortable.. Its going over the three or three and a half inch heel thats the killer.. so somethings got to give as we age... Ive also noticed less strength in my arms , but all these things are to be expected..

Old 08-21-2016, 06:47 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Pilates instructors go through at minimum two years training/experience, hundreds of hours of observations, written tests, student teaching and some even work as an apprentice. Each type of equipment used has a different certification (mat, reformer, cadillac, etc.). You cannot get a certificate online, take a few classes and "teach" Pilates. It doesn't work that way. You know nothing about Joseph Pilates and how he created his method or his philosophy of fitness.

PTs do NOT have the equivalent of a PhD. Far from it. They are taught to address the problem. That is, if someone comes in with a lower disc issue, they do body mechanics to maneuver the spine. HOWEVER, if the disc issue was caused by muscle weakness and inflexibility in the leg, core and shoulder that torqued the body into a position where the spine was compromised and resulted in pressure on the disc ... the PT does NOT help. Not at all. That person could spend a lifetime in PT and never have relief because the underlying problem of weakness and inflexibility is NEVER fixed. But they sure do move that spine around.

I know five people who have had a lower back injury -- all went to PT. Not one benefited from PT, and in three cases, PT made the injury WORSE.

Get a good chiro, and get into pilates, swim and walk.
Ummm---the American Physical Therapy Association may disagree with you. The minimum education required now is a Doctorate in Physical Therapy. It's a 3 year program after high school. I like pilates as well, but you can't compare a two year program where you take a class or two at a study and take an online anatomy and physiology course with three years of full-time education at a university.

And your description of all the spinal manipulation sounds more like chiropractic than true PT.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Arthritis often settles into joints that formerly suffered injuries or excessive use. Muscles and tendons deteriorate with use.

My brother played football for a Big Ten school. He participated in multiple competitive team sports in his younger years and continues to this day running, exercising at at gym, and playing in a basketball league. If you watched him walk and didn't see his face, you'd think he was an 80-year-old man. He's had shoulder surgery, multiple knee surgeries, and hip replacements. My other brother had an almost identical youth and also earned a college football scholarship. After graduating he stayed fit but participated in far less abusive methods. Today, nearing retirement age, he walks instead of runs, does yoga every day, and plays golf. He looks younger than his age, instead of older and he spends far less time in a doctor's office.

What this tells me is we need to go easier on our bodies as we age. Of course we need to exercise and eat right, but the abusive routines that many Americans pursue in the name of physical fitness often cause more problems than they solve. Just ask Jane Fonda, fitness queen of the 1980s. She's had to have practically every joint in her body replaced.
You get a multitude of kudos for your comment. This is someone who has done hard physical labor nearly my entire life thinking it would keep me physically fit...WRONG. As we age we need to adjust and change our way of life. I would not go back and change what I have done because of all of the delightful encounters and people I have known and still know although some have passed . I now am helping others to learn better how to take care of their health.

There are other comments as well. Aging can be either a positive or negative experience. It is up to each individual how they want to go into the older years. Sit in front of a TV being blasted with so much negativity 1st thing in the morning, watch cooking shows, talk shows about nothing but drama...try some gentle movements, try some positive thinking...smile at someone.

These are called the "Golden Years"...I call them the "Pewter Years" as both are soft metals. Whining gets no one anywhere except miserable and alone. Life can throw some ugliness and it has for this member. I remind myself of Phil. 4:8 and think on these things.

Dismounting soapbox once again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness