Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 12:00 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

My husband is having shoulder surgery 6 months after the first on to repair shoulder ACL Level 3. First doctor tied it off to clavicle (or something in that area) and it came lose. Bone is now suspected to be poking through muscle.

Much better doc this time. MRI on Saturday to ensure that they know everything possible before going in. They will be removing cartilage from his knee area and using that to reattach everything and ensure that it will all grow back together.

I feel horrible for him having to go through a 2nd surgery, I know how painful the first one was once the nerve block wore off. I'm also more worried because there is so much more involved and at 50, the body don't heal like it used to.

What things can be done from a nutritional standpoint. I'm always the one that talks to the doc to make sure he does everything pre- and post- op. I bought probiotics for post op.

I have no trouble waiting on him the week he will be home. He returns to work after that but needs to keep his arm immobile for 3 weeks.

I feel helpless.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 12:59 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
I'm sorry, I can't really offer any suggestions that might help, but I will say that most of the people I've talked to who have had shoulder surgery said it usually takes two to get it right.

Sorry that has been your experience too.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:38 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Hope the outcome is more positive this time. The shoulder can be quite complicated due to its huge range of motion. I would definitely only have a shoulder procedure done by an Orthopedic surgeon who is fellowship trained in either shoulder and elbow (preferably) or Sports.

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2016, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the good wishes.

His doctor is one who specializes in shoulder surgeries that didn't work the first time.

All I can think of is making sure he goes in well hydrated, well fed, and rested. Meeting him today to do some good cardio exercise.

I have the probiotics to counter the antibiotics of surgery.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:47 AM

696 posts, read 905,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My husband is having shoulder surgery 6 months after the first on to repair shoulder ACL Level 3. First doctor tied it off to clavicle (or something in that area) and it came lose. Bone is now suspected to be poking through muscle.

Much better doc this time. MRI on Saturday to ensure that they know everything possible before going in. They will be removing cartilage from his knee area and using that to reattach everything and ensure that it will all grow back together.

I feel horrible for him having to go through a 2nd surgery, I know how painful the first one was once the nerve block wore off. I'm also more worried because there is so much more involved and at 50, the body don't heal like it used to.

What things can be done from a nutritional standpoint. I'm always the one that talks to the doc to make sure he does everything pre- and post- op. I bought probiotics for post op.

I have no trouble waiting on him the week he will be home. He returns to work after that but needs to keep his arm immobile for 3 weeks.

I feel helpless.
I would recommend against removing cartilage from the knee. The knee is prone to arthritis and there is only so much cartilage there.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I'm sorry, I can't really offer any suggestions that might help, but I will say that most of the people I've talked to who have had shoulder surgery said it usually takes two to get it right.

Sorry that has been your experience too.
That is not true. A good surgeon should get it right the first time.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I would recommend against removing cartilage from the knee. The knee is prone to arthritis and there is only so much cartilage there.
That's the only place with a tendon (I used the wrong term initially) to spare. There is usually one in the wrist area (it's not used) but he does not have it (20% of people don't).

The knee is such a minor surgery there is no recovery time or crutches needed.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
That's the only place with a tendon (I used the wrong term initially) to spare. There is usually one in the wrist area (it's not used) but he does not have it (20% of people don't).

The knee is such a minor surgery there is no recovery time or crutches needed.
Don't let them fool you he will need crutches. I just had ankle surgery and they told me I would only need crutches for 2 weeks. It has been 6 weeks and I am still on them. Even after a knee scope you will need crutches.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:

I feel helpless.
Aww; poor guy ! I'm thinking maybe some of the extreme pain experienced from the 1st surgery was due to the fact that it was done wrong?

There is a good chance that a correctly done procedure (meaning not as much post-op inflammation) will result in your husband having much less post-op pain this go-around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness