Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:42 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondutch View Post
Melatonin

Buy at gnc or walmart 5mg
Just FYI for readers here, more Melatonin is not a good thing. Too much can cause you to stay awake and/or give you headaches the next day (at least from my experience). My suggestion, start with lower dose and find dose level that works for you. It is not for everyone, I've tried it and found it helped about 30-40% of the time. Costco is a good place to find this for pretty reasonable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 07:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Just FYI for readers here, more Melatonin is not a good thing. Too much can cause you to stay awake and/or give you headaches the next day (at least from my experience). My suggestion, start with lower dose and find dose level that works for you. It is not for everyone, I've tried it and found it helped about 30-40% of the time. Costco is a good place to find this for pretty reasonable price.
I agree. Melatonin's benefits are exaggerated, IMO. My grandmother took it and she told me it made her feel really spacey and strange. She was sure it was the Melatonin because she took no other medications, was a nonsmoker, and drank no alcohol, so there was nothing else in her system that it could be. I tried it myself but it did not help me one bit. However, I need enough sleep medicine to take down a horse, so I'm not exactly representative of the population as a whole.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:31 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,164 times
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Maybe I'll start with one of the Costco suggestions (it's an easy enough drop off on the way home). Just to clarify, yes I'm annoyed by the paying $50 for basically no service other that writing a prescription, but it's really more that I would have to lose half a day's work also. I start my day at 8 and don't get home until 8 with a sizable commute. That's really more the frustration than the money (the doctor's office is near my home, not my workplace). I would gladly just give him a charge card for the payment over the phone if his office could just call in a prescription.

I did get to a point where I thought of going to an on-line pharmacy out of the country and just ordering Ambien, but was concerned about the quality control.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:36 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
I use hypnosis tapes. A twenty minute tape is adequate most nights, but I also like the 8 hour tapes. I have cut out sleep meds entirely. It is simply a way to put yourself into a state of relaxation. No voodoo.

I like Thomas Hall. You can find him on youtube.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Agreed, 1mg is enough.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:06 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
A good round of SEX does it for us!

Old 08-30-2016, 08:07 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
If I do need help, a benedryl does the trick!

Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
A good round of SEX does it for us!
That's funny. I had forgotten that I used to pass out after sex when I was younger. My wife still does, but not so much me any more.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 AM

190 posts, read 167,520 times
Benadryl, baby! best drug ever. The actual best thing to do to get restful sleep is daily exercise, not just walking, but a workout that raises heart rate and produces sweat. When I was in good condition, exercising hard every other day, I fell asleep quickly and didn't wake through the night.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:22 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,349,149 times
I take a "swig" of liquid Children's Benadryl, cherry. Works like a charm. Yes, i'm probably addicted.

It doesnt knock me right out, i lay in bed and read til i hits and i get drowsy, and it helps my allergies as an added boost. I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness