Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:04 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I used them a bit in the 90s, had the little bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk, but stopped pretty quickly.

Anyone know if you can still get Wet Wipes that are NON-antibacterial? I like to keep a few in the car and I can't seem to find them anymore - had to buy a pack of the antibacterial ones when I ran out.
Do you mean something like Burt's Bees wipes? That's what I take when I travel.

Burt's Bees | Facial Towelettes

It says they're for the face but I just use them as regular wipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:27 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Do you mean something like Burt's Bees wipes? That's what I take when I travel.

Burt's Bees | Facial Towelettes

It says they're for the face but I just use them as regular wipes.
Thanks - Love Burt's Bees! Except those look like they are not individually packed. I actually managed to find something on Amazon this morning that I couldn't find last time I looked. I like to keep a few packs in each glove box and sometimes the 10+ per pack dry out before I finish using them.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:21 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Thanks - Love Burt's Bees! Except those look like they are not individually packed. I actually managed to find something on Amazon this morning that I couldn't find last time I looked. I like to keep a few packs in each glove box and sometimes the 10+ per pack dry out before I finish using them.
I'm glad you found some. I just remembered, the Burt's Bees wipes did come in a pack and you just pulled one out when you needed it. I took the entire pack on a long car trip but I had the same problem you did with finding something in individual packets.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:33 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Both sides seem overstated.

Antibacterials are good because they work when you're not close to water...or soap - as in no restrooms around. So they work in a pinch. That's different than a preschool making kids squirt it on themselves 20 times a day for no good reason because there's only one lavatory and "let's just be sure". In those cases using AB "soaps" becomes superstitious and causes problems.

If only we could use things appropriately...but some probably chose to gargle with it so now it is poison for people who used it a couple times a week when there was no other option available.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:24 AM

4,064 posts, read 5,646,222 times
I've avoided antibacterial soap products for many years! When I'd stay at my DD's house occasionally, I'd have to bring my own soap. She had the Triclosan soap in all the bathrooms in her house.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:11 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Both sides seem overstated.

Antibacterials are good because they work when you're not close to water...or soap - as in no restrooms around. So they work in a pinch. That's different than a preschool making kids squirt it on themselves 20 times a day for no good reason because there's only one lavatory and "let's just be sure". In those cases using AB "soaps" becomes superstitious and causes problems.

If only we could use things appropriately...but some probably chose to gargle with it so now it is poison for people who used it a couple times a week when there was no other option available.
I think you are confusing hand sanitizers with antibacterial soap...

Antibacterial soaps are typically in bar form

Alcohol based hand sanitizers foam or gel aren't going away....

Old 09-08-2016, 05:31 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
I have major skin sensitivities and antibacterial soaps is one. It's all they use in schools. I brought in my own plain bar of soap. Yes, you can still buy a non-antibacterial bar of soap. Read labels. My hands get raw, cracked, and bleed. Better I bleed all over the place? I also wore non-latex disposable gloves a lot. Latex gloves make my hands bleed too.

Nothing is safe for everyone. There has to be a choice. Wish I had known about those Burt's Bees Wipes.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:39 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
No one needs to use antimicrobial soap for every hand washing or bath every day. However, if someone in the family is sick, they can be useful.

Alcohol based (at least 60% alcohol) foams and gels can be used when hand washing is impractical because there is no convenient access to soap and water. These products do not induce bacterial resistance, although they are not effective against all organisms, particularly spores from Clostridium difficile. Combined with hand washing rubs can help against norovirus to some extent.

Rubs cannot remove dirt. You need to wash that off.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Surgeons would disagree. Sanitizing the hands are standard . Anti bacterial solutions in soaps or liquid form have evaded infections thru contamination.

I mainly use what's available.. Then use my alcohol based sanitizer... A mild hand lotion to ease the skin... Alcohol tends to dry the skin.

Still old fashion and use beta dyne... For cleansing some wounds.. I'm sure that's been outed as unsafe... Oh well

Old 09-09-2016, 06:06 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Surgeons would disagree. Sanitizing the hands are standard . Anti bacterial solutions in soaps or liquid form have evaded infections thru contamination.

I mainly use what's available.. Then use my alcohol based sanitizer... A mild hand lotion to ease the skin... Alcohol tends to dry the skin.

Still old fashion and use beta dyne... For cleansing some wounds.. I'm sure that's been outed as unsafe... Oh well
Surgical scrub solutions don't contain Triclosan and antibacterials used in hospital settings are not included in this rule regardless

Betadine isn't best for cleaning wounds as it kills healthy cells along with bacteria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness