Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:33 AM

26,640 posts, read 28,483,062 times

Advertisements

1. Head trauma with unconsciousness --Yes, I was in a car accident a long time ago and the top of my head was torn open.

2. Exposure to insecticide-- Yes, our town sprayed from airplanes with DDT before it was banned. All over our vegetable garden too.

3. Mold exposure-- Yes, very bad. While trying to save money in grad school, living in a house with a leaky roof.

4. Radon-- No. House tested negative for radon.

5. Allergies- I've recently found out from the doctor, that I am now allergic to many foods, such as wheat (need to be gluten free), corn, soy, dairy.
Yes-- but that was a result of the other things. that had already weakened me.

The final straw was that house with the mold issue that also had a faulty furnace that blew oily fumes into the house.

It's an accumulation of issues (dr called them "environmental insults") until your body can take no more. All of that caused what was called chronic fatigue syndrome and was not called fibro in those days. I moved to a "safe" house with no oil heat, no mold, ate an allergy free diet, got somewhat better but developed fibro (the pain) when moving out and lifting heavy furniture and boxes. Wrecked my muscles. Got rid of the pain with aerobic exercise but still had the allergies, fatigue, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 11:51 AM

885 posts, read 1,159,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't have the first four out of the five. I have developed a lot of allergies recently, right along with my latest flare.

What supplements are you taking?

I'm taking 5-htp and magnesium.

I take both of those, plus B-12, Vit D, Turmeric, ocuvite, NAC, and folate.

I really don't have flares. I'm in pain 24/7. Some days or part of a day, I may feel a little more functional and have less pain, but still the pain is always there.

In my feet and toes, back especially, hips, knees, hands and fingers, and jaws. I have trouble even standing for a few minutes to fold laundry, and I must sit on and off to cook.

So tired living like this.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I've had no head trauma but I did have a wreck when I was 16...it's only the grace of God that I wasn't killed, as the car left the road and spun around. I was not wearing a seat belt, so it flung me around pretty good and left a hairline fracture in my pelvic bone on one side. I've read that kind of trauma to the muscles can precipitate FM.

And yes, we ran behind the mosquito truck when we were small also. Our parents made us quit when they saw us, but they didn't always see us. Small town, we ran around outside and up and down the streets freely. My parents also came in our rooms whenever there was a mosquito loose at night and said, "Cover your head" and then they bombed the whole room with Raid with a spray can...one of those kind that had the long tube on the back and you pumped the handle forward to spray. Remember those?

I don't know about mold or radon. I don't have allergies.

I take Lyrica. I didn't want to, and I resisted for about 2 years after the doc suggested it, but finally caved and it does help me a lot. I still hurt really bad if I stand a lot, as in doing housework or laundry or cooking. When I know I'm going to have to do something "out of the ordinary" like a clothes-shopping trip with my daughter, I take tramadol and acetomenophin together (37.5 mg tram, 325 mg acet) and it works wonders. I don't do that very often, though...do NOT want to get dependent on that stuff. There is actually a pill where these are combined, called Ultracet (I read about it online and since I have some tramadol here already, I made my own). It seems they have a synergistic effect when taken together...IOW, each enhances the effect of the other, the result being that you can take less of each one and still get the same relief as a larger dosage of each separately. Tylenol had never helped my pain on its own (nor has naproxen or any other anti-inflammatory med), but that combo works wonderfully for my worst times.

Do any of you have terrible back pain? If so, I recently found a "trigger point" self-massaging tool at Bed Bath & Beyond that works great for me: Trigger Point Massager | Neck Pain Self Massage Tool | BackJoy Finally I can reach that itchy, achy spot in the middle of my back without my hubby's help, and I can press as hard as I want and do it as long as I want! I used it in the car all the way home after I bought it. LOL

Tried tramadol- nothing, tried lyrica- I had personality changes and couldn't walk. it increased the pain, so I had to come off it after 1 week. tried savella- go for a couple months, then stopped working, tried Cymbalta- stopped working after a few months. Tried some antidepressants- didn't do anything. I'm so disgusted with it all.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I know the Fibro dx was triggered by an emotional trauma, lost a job at 61 that I planned to retire from at 65...I needed the job and money...so that shock caused fight/flight/fright mode in my body.

During that above trauma I had been trying for many years to get thyroid supported without help as the so called lab numbers were OK....that mantra on the numbers. We are not numbers we are symptoms. Long long drama on this thyroid business. Over the years on a thyroid support group everyone kept telling me Fibro and Thyroid are so connected.

Finally in 2002 I was given desiccated thyroid by my D.O. without labs etc. 10 yrs of depression lifted in a short time and overall I'm doing pretty well with this Fibro "stuff". I take a lot of supps and my worse issue is OA, so just how much FM is left over I don't know.

Many say Fibro is a basket of a lot of stuff gone wrong in our bodies.

My thyroid tests always come back ok so no dr will give me any thyroid support and I've been to 3 so far.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,599,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
My thyroid tests always come back ok so no dr will give me any thyroid support and I've been to 3 so far.
I went for 10 yrs seeking thyroid support and at least 3 worthless endo's and the GP that I started with in 1991...all worthless as they went by numbers.....one endo said I was fine and have FM. Wanted to put me on his guaifinson drug protocol...I did Not. The GP kept writing scripts for A/D's....

It was THYROID.

After yrs of talking and researching thyroid, it's Symptoms that need to be treated regardless of lab numbers.

Before thyroid labs, doctors gave desiccated thyroid to their patients with their long list of symptoms: depression, fatigue, weakness, cold/hot, weight gain/loss, hair loss and more and more.

After the theraputic dosing, the MD's went from there. It's not like that in today's medical world. Best if one can find an MD who thinks out of his medical box. (integrative MD's, naturopaths, maybe D.O.s)

Old 09-06-2016, 12:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,755,293 times
Quote:
I take both of those, plus B-12, Vit D, Turmeric, ocuvite, NAC, and folate.

I really don't have flares. I'm in pain 24/7. Some days or part of a day, I may feel a little more functional and have less pain, but still the pain is always there.

In my feet and toes, back especially, hips, knees, hands and fingers, and jaws. I have trouble even standing for a few minutes to fold laundry, and I must sit on and off to cook.

So tired living like this.
I take B-12 also. My kids take NAC for OCD but I hadn't thought of trying it for fibro.

I used to have trouble standing but I take gabapentin for diabetic neuropathy and that helps with standing and walking. It doesn't seem to help at all with my hips or my shoulders, but it stops the feeling that my legs are giving out or are too heavy to pick up. I take alpha lipoic acid also and it helps with the crawling sensations that neuropathy causes.

Does yours ever go away? Mine goes away completely for a year or two, then comes back worse than before. My husband doesn't understand and thinks I just go through lazy stages where I complain that it hurts to move and I gain a lot of weight, then get interested in moving around and exercising and lose weight.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
1. Head trauma with unconsciousness --Yes, I was in a car accident a long time ago and the top of my head was torn open.

2. Exposure to insecticide-- Yes, our town sprayed from airplanes with DDT before it was banned. All over our vegetable garden too.

3. Mold exposure-- Yes, very bad. While trying to save money in grad school, living in a house with a leaky roof.

4. Radon-- No. House tested negative for radon.

5. Allergies- I've recently found out from the doctor, that I am now allergic to many foods, such as wheat (need to be gluten free), corn, soy, dairy.
Yes-- but that was a result of the other things. that had already weakened me.

The final straw was that house with the mold issue that also had a faulty furnace that blew oily fumes into the house.

It's an accumulation of issues (dr called them "environmental insults") until your body can take no more. All of that caused what was called chronic fatigue syndrome and was not called fibro in those days. I moved to a "safe" house with no oil heat, no mold, ate an allergy free diet, got somewhat better but developed fibro (the pain) when moving out and lifting heavy furniture and boxes. Wrecked my muscles. Got rid of the pain with aerobic exercise but still had the allergies, fatigue, etc.

Like you I think it's an accumulation of everything, plus age.

However I still feel crummy no matter the cause. Just getting very frustrated.

We have the house for sale- if we can sell- nothing is moving. want to get into a smaller, 1 story house- have trouble going up and down stairs which I didn't have problems with before.

Went out on sunday to the NYS fair for about 7 hrs (with lots of sitting and parking in handicapped area with tram to and from parking), and when I got home, I slept 12 hrs (only because the dogs wanted to go out) so I got up. It takes me 2 days to recover from anything "strenuous" like going to a fair, flea market, etc.

This is 360 degree turnaround for me.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:22 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,220,573 times
Just because a doctor ruled out Lyme disease doesn't mean you don't have Lyme disease. A lot of cases of Lyme disease are very hard to diagnose and get ruled out as not being Lyme disease. It's likely a lot of cases of fibromyalgia are actually undiagnosed Lyme disease.

You can also be treated for Lyme disease and the doctor can say you're cured when you actually aren't cured yet. They jump to conclusions about it, because of how hard it is to test reliably.

I don't have fibromyalgia or Lyme disease myself, nor any symptoms of them. I'm just summarizing what I've read about them.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:43 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Quote:
I am a registered nurse, but also someone with severe fibromyalgia. I am curious and was thinking- altho the medical community indicates that fibro has no known cause- what common factor, if any, do fibro sufferers have. I have been exposed to the list below, and wondered if anyone else also had the same exposure. (If you think of any thing to add- please mention it). If yes, please explain:

1. Head trauma with unconsciousness - I was in a car accident in '74 (I was 18 yrs old). Hit the windshield (and broke it along with my neck, at C1). I was knocked out for a short time.

2. Exposure to insecticide- In the mid to late 60's it was not uncommon for kids-including me- to play in the "fog" when the town trucks came around weekly to spray for mosquitoes. I remember how "nice" the insecticide smelled, and we would follow the trucks and run in and out of the insecticidal fog.

3. Mold exposure- I've always lived- and currently live- in old houses. My current house especially has a VERY damp basement, sometimes with active seepage. Although I don't see mold, I wonder if it is still there. I was achey- just before we moved- in my other house (which was over 200 yrs old) but I was still riding my horse at 61, so I just thought of my achiness of just being 61 yrs old. I moved to this house (built in the 1890's) and my fibro increased a lot. At age 62 I could no longer ride since moving to this house 2 yrs ago. (I'm 63 now) Coincidence??

4. Radon- My other house was just below the unsafe level and according to the report we received back, did not need remediation. I haven't tested this house yet. Anyone out there who has fibro and high radon in their house?

5. Allergies- I've recently found out from the doctor, that I am now allergic to many foods, such as wheat (need to be gluten free), corn, soy, dairy, eggs, peanuts, etc. I don't feel sick/ different if I eat them. It was picked up when I was tested along with my blood work to rule out other diseases. So I don't know if I was always allergic to them or if this was something new.

There may be other things that I can't think of right now, so add your own ideas, if any.

BTW, the doctor ruled out Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, Lyme's, MS, and heavy metal toxicity. However, my ANA (antinuclear antibody) results are high which shows some systemic inflammation. All other blood work is normal. The doctor has me taking 8 different supplements and I need to be gluten free. (Also I've tried 4 different medications, acupuncture, physical therapy, and chiropractor without any luck- not even short term relief)

I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Thanks.
I read your thread earlier today..and as a fellow Nurse who also suffered for decades with Fibromyalgia..I feel for your plight! I did however come across this article that addresses a lot of the confusions and ability to treat this phenomena.

I say phenomena because the symptoms are so diverse and multi-symptom affects that one feels when suffering..I found this article rather interesting. Us Medical types always want to know the source of symptoms..and treat that cause..in the meantime..often doctors end up treating symptoms.

I found stress, poor sleep, shift work often aggravated my symptoms. Ii never would describe my experience as "Chronic Fatigue" tho, because of full time 12 hour shifts, raising kids and stressful work-environment ( ER/Trauma) I often found it hard to settle down to get some proper sleep!

Anyway, take this for what's it's worth, and as a fellow medical peep, I think you may get some insight to what is being described. It appears they seem to dwell on the "Lyme Disease" but I believe it could be far more other infectious cases that could do the exact same thing!!

https://www.envita.com/lyme-disease/...m_term=5396230

I was lucky to have had great Family Doctors, and caught on right away to what was going on..so never got hooked on many of those quick fix remedies..Treat a symptom, sure..BUT also recognize if the pain from Neuro system/Muscular System, Joints.. and only treat that particular system. I was also advised to exercise..not strenuous, just doing stretches, resistant exercise..NO heavy weight..walking and finding someway to unwind..I often used meditation (not to be confused with MEDICATION)..which helped balance my mental/physical levels in order to relax.. Any way Karen..Good luck!!

Old 09-06-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I take B-12 also. My kids take NAC for OCD but I hadn't thought of trying it for fibro.

I used to have trouble standing but I take gabapentin for diabetic neuropathy and that helps with standing and walking. It doesn't seem to help at all with my hips or my shoulders, but it stops the feeling that my legs are giving out or are too heavy to pick up. I take alpha lipoic acid also and it helps with the crawling sensations that neuropathy causes.

Does yours ever go away? Mine goes away completely for a year or two, then comes back worse than before. My husband doesn't understand and thinks I just go through lazy stages where I complain that it hurts to move and I gain a lot of weight, then get interested in moving around and exercising and lose weight.
My fibro never goes away, although once in a while I have a "better" day. Gabapentin- forgot about that- did not work for me. I am health otherwise- no high BP, no diabetes, no heart problems, etc. I now go to a Functional Medicine dr but still seem to be getting no where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness