Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 12:32 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times

Advertisements

It's a tough call between when I had an ovarian cyst vs. when my dog drug me down our icy steps and caused me to twist my ankle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 01:33 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I developed a Baker's Cyst a couple years ago! Very painful!

And, the pain meds did me no good whatsoever!

Old 09-13-2016, 06:52 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
You'd think child labor was the excruciating.. And indeed it was!
But it was the migraine I had post op.

I no longer believe persons who walk around professing a migraine.

I had one. two days of pure pain... Could not stand sounds... Light or any movement. I laid completely still ..
The raging pain .. Thru my ears and eyes and cranial was boggling! I could not even walk.. Blurred vision , nausea,and poor mobility ...
On day two.. They put the fluid back in my spine.. That had drained during the surgery...
That is what was causing this migraine...
Why? I have migraines like that, courtesy of a fall down an escalator 12 years ago, and they are frequent. Migraines aren't all the same; they vary in intensity and duration. Mine go away fast, courtesy of a brilliant neurologist who has prescribed me a great anti migraine drug. I know that's what they are, because they don't respond to any other kind of medicine, only ice packs and migraine medications, and they don't go away unless I take both simultaneously.

Reading this thread, in my useless opinion, I speculate that the people who experience the most pain would be people with toothache, shingles, ladies with complicated childbirths, liver/kidney/gall stones and joint dislocations. The arthritis problems are terrible too, I've heard. My acquaintances have described these pains to me as nearly unbearable. I believe it's because many of these problems affect the neurons themselves or are long term pain sources. But as one poster mentioned, feeling pain means you're alive, and that's a big plus. There is a very rare genetic disorder, Congenital Insensitivity to Pain with Anhidrosis, in which affected people do not have functioning nerve receptors to feel pain or extremes of temperature. They must be carefully monitored and protected their whole lives to prevent severe injury or death from injuries they can't feel.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why? I have migraines like that, courtesy of a fall down an escalator 12 years ago, and they are frequent. Migraines aren't all the same; they vary in intensity and duration. Mine go away fast, courtesy of a brilliant neurologist who has prescribed me a great anti migraine drug. I know that's what they are, because they don't respond to any other kind of medicine, only ice packs and migraine medications, and they don't go away unless I take both simultaneously.

Reading this thread, in my useless opinion, I speculate that the people who experience the most pain would be people with toothache, shingles, ladies with complicated childbirths, liver/kidney/gall stones and joint dislocations. The arthritis problems are terrible too, I've heard. My acquaintances have described these pains to me as nearly unbearable. I believe it's because many of these problems affect the neurons themselves or are long term pain sources. But as one poster mentioned, feeling pain means you're alive, and that's a big plus. There is a very rare genetic disorder, Congenital Insensitivity to Pain with Anhidrosis, in which affected people do not have functioning nerve receptors to feel pain or extremes of temperature. They must be carefully monitored and protected their whole lives to prevent severe injury or death from injuries they can't feel.
I can empathize with and I understand what you're saying about migraines. I had migraines occasionally for years - tied directly to my hormonal levels (the day I had a hysterectomy was literally the last day I had a migraine, thank God).

I had the full blown deal - the aura, the visual disturbances, the 6 or 8 hours (thankfully not DAYS) of laying in a dark room, trying not to move my head. If I got one at work, someone would have to come pick me up, because there was no way I could drive anywhere. Thankfully, I usually only got about 3 or 4 of these a year.

My doc tried several meds with very little success. Finally one day he said, "OK, this is going to sound crazy, but try this - next time you get that aura, that precursor of a migraine, take one Advil, one Aleve, and one Tylenol or aspirin, all at once. See if that helps."

WOW. INSTANT RELIEF. No, it didn't completely do away with the headache, but it knocked it back down to "normal, do able" levels, EVERY SINGLE TIME. The key was to do it BEFORE the migraine was "entrenched." At the very first hint of an upcoming migraine (the aura or visual disturbance stage). If I waited till the migraine was full blown, nothing would work.

I was truly amazed. I try to share this tip every chance I get. It was much more effective than any prescription drug I'd tried.

I felt like I got my life back.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:07 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
I started to say childbirth (I had 3 horrendously painful ones). But even worse was the uterine biopsy I had done last year. I cannot believe my doctor did that procedure without anesthesia or any kind of pain meds. I literally trembled and cried for days afterwards, almost like PTSD.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
While a crocodile continued to bit at my groin.....

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I started to say childbirth (I had 3 horrendously painful ones). But even worse was the uterine biopsy I had done last year. I cannot believe my doctor did that procedure without anesthesia or any kind of pain meds. I literally trembled and cried for days afterwards, almost like PTSD.
OH MY GOSH, I forgot about that one!

Like you, my doc didn't use any anesthesia. I also, for some weird reason, didn't expect the ultrasound to be, errr, internal. I thought it was going to be like my pregnancy ultrasounds - external. So I went in, and the first thing they did was get out something that looked like a huge, industrial flashlight, stick that into the under yonder parts -which was very distressing - and then they just starting clipping away.

I had planned on going back to work, but like you, I was so trembly and unnerved that I had to call in and say I had to go home and lay down. Which I did. I was trembling and jumpy for several days.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OH MY GOSH, I forgot about that one!

Like you, my doc didn't use any anesthesia. I also, for some weird reason, didn't expect the ultrasound to be, errr, internal. I thought it was going to be like my pregnancy ultrasounds - external. So I went in, and the first thing they did was get out something that looked like a huge, industrial flashlight, stick that into the under yonder parts -which was very distressing - and then they just starting clipping away.

I had planned on going back to work, but like you, I was so trembly and unnerved that I had to call in and say I had to go home and lay down. Which I did. I was trembling and jumpy for several days.
I get that you all are troopers and just do what you gotta do, but you don't have to allow doctors to do things to you that you aren't comfortable with. I've had procedures done under anesthesia that aren't usually done under anesthesia because there was just no other way that I was going to agree to do it. Heck, people get sedated for dental cleanings!

Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I get that you all are troopers and just do what you gotta do, but you don't have to allow doctors to do things to you that you aren't comfortable with. I've had procedures done under anesthesia that aren't usually done under anesthesia because there was just no other way that I was going to agree to do it. Heck, people get sedated for dental cleanings!
I am not particularly a trooper. I just didn't expect it to be painful. I'd had a colposcopy previously after an abnormal Pap, and I just kinda thought a uterine biopsy would be similar. Dr didn't even suggest I take Tylenol (or whiskey!) ahead of time. My god, the suction and the pulling and my screaming----it was horrendous. Actually it was barbaric. There is NO reason for that to be done without at least local anesthesia. I am still furious and traumatized thinking back on it.

I have tried to spread the word to other women, that if you ever need a uterine biopsy, INSIST on something for pain. Something STRONG.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:49 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

I have tried to spread the word to other women, that if you ever need a uterine biopsy, INSIST on something for pain. Something STRONG.

I just don't get this. Give a local, give a percocet and give a person a break. We have the technology for things not to hurt and I would like it used..... all the time.

You DO get a PTSD-like affect when something hurts really bad and you're not expecting it.

With my first liver biopsy (I thought I was going to be put under), I literally felt violated at the end of it. I dunno, like rape of my pain receptors.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness