Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:49 PM

586 posts, read 831,434 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of losing weight but my arms sticks out like a sore thumb, the rest of my body is smaller in comparison. Its also very jiggly. I heard that the arms are one of the hardest parts to work on, so my question is what is the best way to lift weights so that I can lose fat while toning them? Is the heavier the better and how many reps? When I try to lift heavy, my arms really give out by the 3rd rep, I can only lift halfway (I do 10 in each rep).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 08:07 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Losing fat is about diet, not exercise. Eat lean proteins and lots of vegetables. Cut out junk, soda, bread and pasta.

Lift weights that you can do 3 sets of 12 to 25 reps. Be consistent in your exercise.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:44 AM

586 posts, read 831,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Losing fat is about diet, not exercise. Eat lean proteins and lots of vegetables. Cut out junk, soda, bread and pasta.

Lift weights that you can do 3 sets of 12 to 25 reps. Be consistent in your exercise.
I am already doing good with the diet. I eat lean meat, fish, and eggs and lots of fiber. No junk food at all (I hate soda anyways). I've lost over 20 lbs. In the beginning, I wasnt consistent with working out because couldnt find the time, but In the past week, I've decided I would wake go an hour before work...

I always thought that additional fat could be burned through physical activity, but either way, I need to tone my arms without making it bigger if you know what I mean since its gotten jiggly with weight loss. I will try your suggestion, thanks.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Pilates

Old 09-14-2016, 11:30 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I am in the process of losing weight but my arms sticks out like a sore thumb, the rest of my body is smaller in comparison. Its also very jiggly. I heard that the arms are one of the hardest parts to work on, so my question is what is the best way to lift weights so that I can lose fat while toning them? Is the heavier the better and how many reps? When I try to lift heavy, my arms really give out by the 3rd rep, I can only lift halfway (I do 10 in each rep).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Heavy weights, as heavy as you can lift for at least 8 reps for at least the first of 4 sets is what has worked for me to build strength and firmness. Once I reach 13 reps in a set, I increase the weight starting with the next workout. If you can only do 3 complete reps in your first set of an exercise, you need to lower the weight down to where you can complete at least 8 reps in your first set - doing the lift halfway isn't really helping you any. It's better to only do 3 complete reps in a set than to do 8 half reps.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:29 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post

Sorry, I meant 12 to 15 reps.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:03 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Push ups. 3 sets of 12-15 reps. twice a day. every other day.

If you can't do a standard push up you can start with a modified push up. Use a wall, counter top, and/or stairs to start out. Progress to girl or standard push ups on your own time table.

Modified push ups are nice because you can do them anywhere and anytime.

You could also add some bent over rows and overhead presses.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:58 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Eat less...move more! Weight bearing exercise!

Old 09-20-2016, 08:42 AM

72 posts, read 113,501 times
It's probably not what you want to hear, but there's really no trick beyond diet and exercise. Cut out sugar, empty calories like sodas or fancy coffees, etc. and lift weights. Go for low weight and high reps at least to start (doing three reps with a really heavy weight really wont accomplish much of anything) and move up as you feel more comfortable.

It's pretty much impossible to lose weight in a specific spot, but if you're overall eating and living healthier those problem areas will catch up.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:24 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capp16 View Post
It's probably not what you want to hear, but there's really no trick beyond diet and exercise. Cut out sugar, empty calories like sodas or fancy coffees, etc. and lift weights. Go for low weight and high reps at least to start (doing three reps with a really heavy weight really wont accomplish much of anything) and move up as you feel more comfortable.

It's pretty much impossible to lose weight in a specific spot, but if you're overall eating and living healthier those problem areas will catch up.
My body has a priority for the areas where it either deposits or uses up fat. No. 1 happens to be the worst place I'd want it to be. But, on the other hand, if I lose weight, that's the first place it goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness