Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:33 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I had an ultra sound that showed a mass and legions. Blood tests are normal, no symptoms. She said they are "hoping it isn't cancer" most likely it is then or they wouldn't be so diligent.
I can understand. Getting the test means you would have to find out for sure whether you have cancer. Not getting the test means you don't have to know.

I am under the same pressure right now. I know I should go to the doctor, but doing that means I have to find out, and there's a 50/50 chance I have it. Of course, there's a 50/50 chance I don't, but if I do, I'll have to make a decision about whether or not I want to treat it. And saying no will upset my family. And saying yes will cause my hair to fall out. But then again, I might lose some weight & I could always get a wig. But I might feel like crap all the time. But I might feel like such crap that I'd not want to keep drinking so much beer every night....Back & forth...

That's what runs through my mind.

I know where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
They did send me a certified letter though but I haven't been home to get it? Weird.
They probably have to make sure you got the letter and still aren't responding. I don't know why; maybe for legal reasons. Likely so that if you do wind up being very ill, you can't sue them for not treating you? That's my guess.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:38 AM

305 posts, read 330,950 times
Cured? Most people I know who have cancer go through hell with treatments and then die anyways so I'd rather not know. Plus every time I go to the dr and finds something else she wants to test me on. I don't have time for all of this. I work full time. I already got an echo (which found the mass) and a stress test and those were normal. Then she said there is a fibroid on my uterus and I need to get that checked.. Also needed a thyroid ultrasound which I did and that was fine.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Cured? Most people I know who have cancer go through hell with treatments and then die anyways so I'd rather not know. Plus every time I go to the dr and finds something else she wants to test me on. I don't have time for all of this. I work full time. I already got an echo (which found the mass) and a stress test and those were normal. Then she said there is a fibroid on my uterus and I need to get that checked.. Also needed a thyroid ultrasound which I did and that was fine.
The only thing is, while you can certainly not take any extra tests, IF you do have cancer, your body will start telling you. You'll have to decide at some point whether to continue your life in pain or take the 50/50 chance of overcoming it. Problem is, the longer you wait, the higher the likelihood the cancer will spread, and then your chances of overcoming it are lowered.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:01 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
It really is insane today with this Fear and Push for more tests and more tests. My MD finally quit asking about mamograms and colonscopies as I refuse them. Had a couple mams in my 50's and never a colonscope. I'm 78.

I go back to my parents lives and there was none of this push and fear and they lived into their 90's.

More fear, more tests, more $$$ for medical industry. This is my take on it all. There may be a lot I don't want to know but again I could be just fine. I do a lot of my own prevention medicine.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:13 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I can understand. Getting the test means you would have to find out for sure whether you have cancer. Not getting the test means you don't have to know.

I am under the same pressure right now. I know I should go to the doctor, but doing that means I have to find out, and there's a 50/50 chance I have it. Of course, there's a 50/50 chance I don't, but if I do, I'll have to make a decision about whether or not I want to treat it. And saying no will upset my family. And saying yes will cause my hair to fall out. But then again, I might lose some weight & I could always get a wig. But I might feel like crap all the time. But I might feel like such crap that I'd not want to keep drinking so much beer every night....Back & forth...

That's what runs through my mind.

I know where you are.
There are other treatments besides ones that make your hair fall out and you may have caught it early so that limited treatment is needed. The treatment is always your decision and should be based on outcome. Find out. It is painful to die of cancer.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:20 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Fibroids are nothing. If you are still young get it looked at because each month they will cause you pain as they get larger. It is also entirely possible that the mass on the liver is related to the fibroids. Menstrual tissue can end up in some very weird places. Get the tests. Get a biopsy of the mass, it is highly unlikely to be cancer but will cause you pain.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:26 AM

305 posts, read 330,950 times
If it's unlikely cancer then why is the DR so diligent about the CT scan?

Old 09-14-2016, 11:27 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
You and I think alike .

They did an article on Cancer Treatment Centers of America and how some gave false hope until they had drained the patient out of every penny then told them their cancer was uncureable.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:33 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
If it's unlikely cancer then why is the DR so diligent about the CT scan?

Because there is the possibility it is cancer, and the earlier it is caught the better chance you have of surviving.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness