Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
There are other treatments besides ones that make your hair fall out and you may have caught it early so that limited treatment is needed. The treatment is always your decision and should be based on outcome. Find out. It is painful to die of cancer.
Yes, I know. I watched my favorite cousin suffer for 7 years til it spread to his brain. I am watching my father-in-law wasting away of Leukemia right now.

I feel fine right now, so I'd just as soon not know. I'd rather live while I'm alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:12 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
Can they decide to stop treating me for other things (thyroid, cholesterol) if I don't want to get a CT scan on my liver? They keep calling me and I just want to tell them I don't want to right now....but worried they will decide not to continue treating me for other things. They are saying I haven't had a blood test in a while? I had a full one at the end of May. Not even 4 months ago.
You have every right to refuse tests you don't want. I've done it myself. The dr. wasn't happy but oh, well. It's my body.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:04 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
It's your body and it's your right. But as others have said, it may affect the way your medical insurance covers certain things.

My sister first got cancer at 43, got treatment, and had it return several times. She always gets treatment - usually with few side effects. She was a teacher and never missed a day of work during chemo and radiation. (Yes, she's lost her hair several times - and rocks cool wigs, wraps, and caps.)

She's now 67, retired, and still travels the world - with bone cancer and getting chemo. Just came back from a month in Austria (hiking). So - it's all how you look at things, and how much you love your life and want to live it. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
I had an ultra sound that showed a mass and legions. Blood tests are normal, no symptoms. She said they are "hoping it isn't cancer" most likely it is then or they wouldn't be so diligent.
Oh my Lord. Get the CT.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:51 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
They did send me a certified letter though but I haven't been home to get it? Weird.
It must be important - they are laying a paper trail to show they did their due diligence in trying to get you to do it so you can't come back on them later and say you didn't know you should do it.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes, I know. I watched my favorite cousin suffer for 7 years til it spread to his brain. I am watching my father-in-law wasting away of Leukemia right now.

I feel fine right now, so I'd just as soon not know. I'd rather live while I'm alive.
Guess you'll "know" once it hits your brain! But hey, sometimes cancer is actually treatable - guess you're not interested in that possibility?

Old 09-14-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Cured? Most people I know who have cancer go through hell with treatments and then die anyways so I'd rather not know. Plus every time I go to the dr and finds something else she wants to test me on. I don't have time for all of this. I work full time. I already got an echo (which found the mass) and a stress test and those were normal. Then she said there is a fibroid on my uterus and I need to get that checked.. Also needed a thyroid ultrasound which I did and that was fine.
And then there's the complete opposite - my mom was told she had 6 months to live - put her on morphine. When she was still alive 10 years later she had some tests done and they said it was "all clear". Too bad she was addicted to the morphine by then!

Sounds like you're doing a lot of picking and choosing without a real rationale behind it. Liver is pretty serious - it's not a hangnail.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:18 PM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I would be the same way. I hate Dr.s and tests. I can put things off, but I have to go eventually. My conscious will force it.

When I do go, I try to pretend that I am not there, if that makes any sense.

You can refuse treatment but they are concerned and want to catch the problems early. You can't change your mind later, but you can change it now.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:18 PM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
In this litigious society of ours the practice is covering themselves in the event that you do have cancer or other life threatening event going on and they must document that you will not agree to being treated. They do not want your estate coming back with a lawsuit for malpractice. I bet the letter will spell that out to you but not mention anything about your estate litigating them for malpractice....that just about sums it up. I would get that letter if I were you. Certified letters are used to show the practice did what they could to assist you in compliance and there will be little your estate can do if you refuse treatment. The certified letter would be proof that you refused treatment and yes, if you refuse treatment for what could be cancer they could and would fire you. You do not have to accept treatment. Just write a letter saying such with your signature and send it certified mail back to them as proof positive you have refused treatment. If you do have a life threatening illness that will mess with your other medical conditions big time so will you be treated for those conditions as they change.

I am not a doc but was married to one for a gazzilion years and I learned a lot about the administrative part of the medical practice.

TMKSarah

Old 09-14-2016, 02:32 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
“A person's intelligence and common sense are evidenced by the person's actions, and not by the person's looks. In other words, a stupid person is a person who does stupid things.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness