Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:55 PM

335 posts, read 1,529,663 times

Advertisements

what do folks think about this trend toward diagnosing young kids with mental illness as a way to give them drugs?

kids who are depressed? hyper active? Oh, and my new favorite manic-depressive...

i have a neighbor with a 5-year-old who she says is bipolar and the doctors are giving him meds. the kid (it's a boy) has these wild temper tantrums and she says it's because he is manic.

I'm sorry, but I have my serious doubts. I have been in that household numerous times and the kid is a spoilt brat and the parents have no boundaries at all. The boy does something he's not supposed to and the mother says, "no" fifty times without following up on it. Finally, she does something, like puts the kid in his room for a time out, and the kid flies into a wild temper tantrum, while she does NOTHING...

She basically gives him medication as a way to excuse her own failings. I think it's deplorable. Oh, and the father, a controlling, passive-aggressive nightmare.

The whole thing is so sad.

What do others think of all this medication stuff for kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 PM

170 posts, read 475,803 times
You know....I've only had children for 3 years but in that short time, it seems that doctors and such are easy to diagnose people with something. I mean, now a days my kids can't take a dump without being "something". What ever happened to just being a kid.

and as far as your neighbor...maybe the kid needs an ol' fashoned butt woopin'??

Old 02-22-2008, 05:11 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,276,472 times
I agree with both of you.
When I was a kid, there was no such thing as this ADHD crap and whatever else.
It's the parents fault for letting these doctors put there kids on drugs and for feeding them too much sugar and junk foods that make them hyper. The parents are also too lazy to research and try an alternative approach and common sense. They rather do the easy thing and give the kid a pill or two and we wonder why kids are the zombies and druggies in todays world.
What a kid needs is discipline, exercise and a decent diet. That takes care of most physical and mental problems.
Wake up parents and do the right thing for your kids.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:11 PM

i guess it's just an easy out to give the kid drugs and label him as "bipolar."

craziness.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,936,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthySailor View Post
You know....I've only had children for 3 years but in that short time, it seems that doctors and such are easy to diagnose people with something. I mean, now a days my kids can't take a dump without being "something". What ever happened to just being a kid.

and as far as your neighbor...maybe the kid needs an ol' fashoned butt woopin'??
I totally agree!! Drs' push medication on everyone. The one that gets me is the restless leg syndrom. Just watching the commercial is enough to give it to you. They have meds for this and that..I unfortunately have been on meds for a long time now, and hate every minute of it. I sure as heck dont want the kids of today turning out to be drugged up zombies in the future. They medicate way too much IMO. The school tried to tell me that my oldest daughter needed ritalin because they thought she had ADD. We got her tested, she never had it. They said she needed speech classes because she had a hard time with her R's, she out grew it and never had speech. I didnt want to put her in it. I think the schools are to blame too. And as far as gettin a butt woopin, yeah try that out here where I live, they will report you for child abuse..It is ridiculous. I got spanked when I was a kid and I turned out just fine. I learned also what was acceptable and what wasnt. Ok sorry, I get a bit flustered about this topic.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM

i think that's exactly what happens. the doctor says, "well it looks like add (or whatever) and we have a wonderful drug to help you with that." they'll give you a prescription before they're even sure what the problem is!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:22 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,936,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
i think that's exactly what happens. the doctor says, "well it looks like add (or whatever) and we have a wonderful drug to help you with that." they'll give you a prescription before they're even sure what the problem is!
Yes, exactly!! Pretty frustrating I'll tell ya. I wonder why all these disorders are on the rise? Are all the medicines causing people to get sick?? I swear they are coming up with new disorders everyday...With all the new medicines out there, why are people sicker than ever?? Just my thoughts..

Old 02-23-2008, 02:23 AM

498 posts, read 1,514,779 times
Smile Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
what do folks think about this trend toward diagnosing young kids with mental illness as a way to give them drugs?

kids who are depressed? hyper active? Oh, and my new favorite manic-depressive...

i have a neighbor with a 5-year-old who she says is bipolar and the doctors are giving him meds. the kid (it's a boy) has these wild temper tantrums and she says it's because he is manic.

I'm sorry, but I have my serious doubts. I have been in that household numerous times and the kid is a spoilt brat and the parents have no boundaries at all. The boy does something he's not supposed to and the mother says, "no" fifty times without following up on it. Finally, she does something, like puts the kid in his room for a time out, and the kid flies into a wild temper tantrum, while she does NOTHING...

She basically gives him medication as a way to excuse her own failings. I think it's deplorable. Oh, and the father, a controlling, passive-aggressive nightmare.

The whole thing is so sad.

What do others think of all this medication stuff for kids?

Yes, the Head Start Program here told me that my son was Addsomething or other. I don't know which letters they used. Anyway, they told me that if I wanted him to be able and continue attending there, that I would have to put him on Ridlin. No Way!! I told them they better come up with a better plan than that. THey did. It is called THe Strong Willed CHild. I was very happy with it. I learned some really good stuff about children. Mind you, I had to be very insistant about this, so I did not just sit around on my thumb, nor did I put my 3 yr. old on physicotic drugs.
Another thing that really bothers me about the law is that a brother and sister cannot even fight anymore without going to jail or getting a record for battery. That is insane. THere are extreme cases that definitely need to be taken care of, but I fought with my bothers and sisters at home and I never even came close to going to jail and neither did they, even if you did call the law. We are in a rapid world of change.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,201,299 times
Oh yes...drugs are the "cure-all" for everything from acting like a normal child and keeping a child seen but not heard to curing the sniffles! Give me a break....how are these poor babies of today ever going to develope the immunities to protect themselves in the future? How are these children going to develope into "normal" personalities when they won't even know what their own personality really is? It scares the heck out of me personally! It boils down to the FDA and the drug pharmas making lots and lots of money off of so many innocent children.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:04 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,210,918 times
Ahhh, we have already had this debate many times in the special needs forum.

Here's what it is: some kids are overmedicated (mainly because pediatricians just pass out meds), some kids actually do need medication and could absolutely not function without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness