Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:59 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

When I order from Zenni, it is not using insurance. The office visit is paid for by insurance, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 11:18 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Here we go again. Luxottica doesn't own 80+% of the glasses industry. That is a myth, people. I'm an optician, and I know they don't own the industry. Buy your glasses wherever you want. I have seen many patients who have come into the optical regretting their online purchase after they ordered glasses that didn't work for them online. One patient came in complaining about our doctor's exam. She was convinced he gave her the wrong prescription, when the fault was actually Zenni's. I read the prescription in the two pairs of "progressives" Zenni sold her and found that the prescription was wrong and both frames were too small to fit the required space for reading inside them.

If people are thinking about buying online, I recommend those with simple prescriptions go the online route and people with complex prescriptions use a brick and mortar optical. People with simple prescriptions have more satisfaction with their online eyewear purchases. Contrary to what others have accused me of, I never pressure people to buy from us. I always recommend they go to however many places they want until they are satisfied with their selection, and I will even do the pupillary distance measurement for them if they want to buy them online. An accurate PD measurement is essential for clear vision in any glasses.
they certainly do own quite a large share of the optics industry. They even own vsp which is the most popular eye insurance company.

Luxottica's two main product offerings are sunglasses and prescription frames. The company operates in two sectors: manufacturing & wholesale distribution, and retail distribution.[19]

The house brands include:[20][21]

Alain Mikli
Arnette
Eye Safety Systems (ESS)
Oakley
Oliver Peoples
Persol
Ray-Ban
Sferoflex
Vogue Eyewear
The company also makes eyewear under license for the following designer labels:[20][21]

Giorgio Armani
Emporio Armani
A|X - Armani Exchange
Brooks Brothers
Bulgari
Burberry
Chanel
Coach
Dolce & Gabbana
DKNY
Michael Kors
Miu Miu
Polo Ralph Lauren
Paul Smith Spectacles
Prada
Ralph
Ralph Lauren
Starck Eyes
Tiffany & Co.
Tory Burch
Versace
The most recent deal was with Michael Kors. These brands are sold in the company's own shops, as well as to independent distributors such as department stores, duty-free shops, and opticians.

Retail[edit]
Luxottica Retail has more than 7,200 retail locations[1] in the United States, South America, Canada, China, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and United Arab Emirates.[12] The headquarters of the retail division is in Mason, Ohio, United States (North America).[12] Their retail banners include:[22]

Sunglass Hut International
LensCrafters
Pearle Vision
Sears Optical
Target Optical
OPSM
ILORI
EyeMed Vision Care
Optical Shop of Aspen
Laubman & Pank
GMO
Oliver Peoples
Alain Mikli
Oakley
David Clulow
Glasses.com
Econópticas

yea they dont control very much of the market at all.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:55 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
One possible solution to the problem of getting the right frame sizes online is to order a bunch of them with slightly different numbers to see which fit best and work best. Then, once you have some that work perfectly for one purpose, such as distance vision, you can order the same frames with the more expensive lenses you really need. And then order the same pair with the same numbers and lenses a month later, to compare and make sure they got everything right. If they got anything wrong, the two you ordered a month apart would be different than each other. All those extra frames etc. would probably still not add up to anywhere near what one pair of your glasses locally would cost. Also doing it that way you learn more about fitting, for the next time you get a new prescription. You might even be able to save on doctor's appointments by testing your own eyes with slightly different lenses under the assumption your eyes will probably get worse so increase some numbers slightly and see how they work. The more you do that kind of thing, the more you learn about doing it. If you need new glasses more than once per year, you might save thousands of dollars that way over the long run.
That just seems like an awful lot of work. I've got a tricky prescription, and I really don't mind paying a little extra to actually sit with a professional optician who does fittings every day, who knows their inventory, and who can answer questions.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:39 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
it's not that simple for those of us with unusual rx, bifocals or trifocals, etc. Believe me I have tried. Mature eyes need special care.
Or progressives, which are notoriously difficult to fit. Online really isn't always a good source.

The best prices I've found have been Costco and Sam's Club. And it's still $200+ a pair for progressives.

Most Costco's do have an optician but they are independent professionals, not employees of Costco. I've used several and been happy with them. The one at Durham Costco (Dr. Catherine Mauro) was actually recommended to us by a retinal surgeon at Duke. Mauro actually managed to get me into monovision contacts after 3 prior opticians failed.

And she regularly recommends buying glasses online for single vision or readers. Not progressives, and I assume, other complicated perscriptions.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 09-22-2016 at 01:59 PM..

Old 09-22-2016, 02:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's sounding like, for many of us with complicated prescriptions, it's time to join Cosco!

My glasses usually cost $800 but after the recent cataract surgery, they were $450 (with $200 paid by Medicare as their one time payment for post cataract glasses.) That's because, with the surgery, my eyes are somewhat better than they used to be. I'm not trusting Zenni with trifocal progressives. I wonder if you can just buy frames there and take them elsewhere for the lenses?
I don't think you have to join Costco to purchase glasses from them. And I KNOW you don't have to join to buy hearing aids. I think most do join because they are there anyway so why not shop.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:50 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post

I have wanted for years to try the online route but I don't think the prescriptions I get from Lenscrafter's gives all the info I need - and I tried once to get them to tell me about the fitting aspects (distance between eyes, etc.) but they would not. I haven't yet tried Costco though but I may soon.

Those of you touting Zenni's .. do I have to go to an independent optometrist or eye doctor (i.e. I am gathering that going to Lencrafter's for that part would not be ideal?) to get all the info I need to try Zenni's? And how long do you wait for your glasses generally?
I'm one of those Zenni's Zealots. Any optometrist will give you your prescription. IMHO, if they won't give you the measurements for pupillary distance, find one who will.

Took me less than a week to get my glasses. The first pair I tried transitional bifocals and couldn't get used to them. I sent them back and they replaced the lenses and credited my account with the difference. I ended up spending $35 instead of $300+. If your Rx isn't right, they will fix it.

I figure if the frames don't fit me right and need adjusting, I can take some of the $300 I saved and pay an optician to adjust them for me. Miraculously, both pairs I bought from them fit just fine. I have no idea how, my ears are not symmetrical.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't think you have to join Costco to purchase glasses from them. And I KNOW you don't have to join to buy hearing aids. I think most do join because they are there anyway so why not shop.
It's better if I don't have to join since there's no Costco nearby. I can't believe they'd give you those cheap prices without being a member--if so, that's great.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:59 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
When I used their pharmacy for opiods pre and post hip replacement, I was not a member and still am not. I don't need to buy large qtys of anything since I'm one person. After I got off the opiods my other meds are manageable from CVS. You can always call the Costco nearest you and ask.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815
glasses arent expensive. You just need to shop around if out of pocket or check insurance for how much they cover.

Zenni has them as low as under $10. You just need your prescription info.
I hate how most places try to force this plastic garbage on everyone now!!!

I DONT WANT PLASTIC,I WANT GLASS LIKE I HAVE ALWAYS HAD!!! (They are too cheap these days to use glass,they try every lie,etc to get plastic on you)

PLASTIC IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR EYES...... GLASS is and always has been WITH NO FILTERING!!!!!!!

I have been trying to get a new pair of glasses for along time THAT ARE AS GOOD AS THE 1 LENS I HAVE LEFT IS NOW!! (I cannot find one -- I cant see as clearly UP CLOSE so I am doing everything I can to save my 1 lens I last got many years ago thats perfect..... (The other one fell out and broke years back))

Old 09-23-2016, 04:22 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I hate how most places try to force this plastic garbage on everyone now!!!

I DONT WANT PLASTIC,I WANT GLASS LIKE I HAVE ALWAYS HAD!!! (They are too cheap these days to use glass,they try every lie,etc to get plastic on you)

PLASTIC IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR EYES...... GLASS is and always has been WITH NO FILTERING!!!!!!!

I have been trying to get a new pair of glasses for along time THAT ARE AS GOOD AS THE 1 LENS I HAVE LEFT IS NOW!! (I cannot find one -- I cant see as clearly UP CLOSE so I am doing everything I can to save my 1 lens I last got many years ago thats perfect..... (The other one fell out and broke years back))
ok? Thats not Zenni's fault. Most places ( brick & mortar) dont do glass anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness