Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:54 PM

465 posts, read 303,987 times

Advertisements

Last weekend I came down with a cold. People get colds all the time so like every year I battled it out throughout the last week. I took clartin D a few nights and another few nights I took some Nyquil. By the end of the weekend, my cough died down but I still had a lot of congestion. Despite lying around all weekend and taking it easy, I felt weak and light headed all day today. I'm going to bed early again tonight but I don't remember having a cold lasting more than a week. Being in the Northeast isn't helping either as the temperature just dropped about 15 degrees in the last day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 06:36 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
It's probably the flu. It lasts longer than a cold. My husband had his for almost a month! He said the congestion would not go away! He could not breathe too well. He went and bought a device from Costco that puts out a fine mist and you inhale the mist to keep passages open. He had to use that thing for almost 3 weeks until the flu finally left him.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:54 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
There is a cold "type" bug going around (at least Hawaii and Cali) that is pretty tenacious. A few of us have had symptoms for more than a week. Mainly head congestion.

I seem to be low on energy. I did a pretty easy 7 mile hike and fell asleep in the car, and the next day an intensive 1 hour workout and was pretty much worthless for the day. That's not really like me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-31-2017, 02:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I am in Texas and there's been a nasty cold type thing going around here too that lasts for a month or more. In fact, I got it the first week in December and it laid me really low, with a fever and chills and terrible congestion, for a solid week, then I was still stopped up and sickly feeling for another week, and THEN I lost my voice completely for another five days or so. I'm still occasionally coughing and occasionally stopped up and it's what - nearly two months now? And lots of other people got the same thing around here and have been remarking about how long it takes to get completely over it. I wouldn't know - I'm still not completely over it.

And this was with going to the doctor, getting on antibiotics, getting a shot in my butt, resting completely for a week (my doctor said, "Go home and get in the bed"). So yeah it's bad.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:15 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,322,524 times
I'm in Ohio... Whatever it is that's going around here has been lasting at least 3 weeks. Headaches, congestion, sniffles, etc. It's brutal. I even had chest and lower back pain for a few days. I finally started feeling back to my old self about 1.5 weeks ago.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:44 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
I don't think you need to be concerned, but I would go to the doctor. If it's a virus, you just have to wait it out. But they may be able to give you some meds that will make waiting it out a lot easier.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:59 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,758,762 times
"They usually resolve in seven to ten days, but some can last for up to three weeks. The average duration of cough is eighteen days and in some cases people develop a post-viral cough which can linger after the infection is gone." -- Wikipedia

Old 02-01-2017, 07:44 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am in Texas and there's been a nasty cold type thing going around here too that lasts for a month or more. In fact, I got it the first week in December and it laid me really low, with a fever and chills and terrible congestion, for a solid week, then I was still stopped up and sickly feeling for another week, and THEN I lost my voice completely for another five days or so. I'm still occasionally coughing and occasionally stopped up and it's what - nearly two months now? And lots of other people got the same thing around here and have been remarking about how long it takes to get completely over it. I wouldn't know - I'm still not completely over it.

And this was with going to the doctor, getting on antibiotics, getting a shot in my butt, resting completely for a week (my doctor said, "Go home and get in the bed"). So yeah it's bad.
We are in Florida and my husband had the exact same thing, around the same time as you. It lasted for WEEKS. Only in the last week or so did he finally stop coughing. I have not gotten it, but this morning I have some congestion and a slightly sore throat and hard to swallow. I hope it doesn't get worse!

Old 02-01-2017, 11:38 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
Flu comes on suddenly and you HURT all over...high fever and respiratory symptoms.
A cold comes on more slowly and can last 10 days to 2 weeks....antibiotics will NOT help a cold...and seldom helps the flu (both are viruses), unless there is an underlying INFECTION....and even then, it will run it's course and heal on its own.

Give yourself a few more days. Rest...drink lots of liquids...but NOT alcohol...that makes respiratory things worse!

Old 02-01-2017, 03:58 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
Last weekend I came down with a cold. People get colds all the time so like every year I battled it out throughout the last week. I took clartin D a few nights and another few nights I took some Nyquil. By the end of the weekend, my cough died down but I still had a lot of congestion. Despite lying around all weekend and taking it easy, I felt weak and light headed all day today. I'm going to bed early again tonight but I don't remember having a cold lasting more than a week. Being in the Northeast isn't helping either as the temperature just dropped about 15 degrees in the last day.
You probably have a bad cold or flu like some of the others mentioned and it will take a little while longer to go away. I'm in Pennsylvania so not too far from the Northeast and they have a real bad strand of that going around where it takes forever to recover from it. I had it about a month ago and it took over 2 weeks to get well and I'm still having congestion in my lungs from it. I had to work during it too so that's likely why it took even longer, so if you're not resting completely every day (which a lot of people can't do), it's going to take even longer to get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness