Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 02:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

No TV in bedroom.
Dohm white noise if needed.
No caffeine after noon.
Not too much alcohol.
Don't eat 2 hours before bed.
Keep room 68 degrees.
Good mattress and sheets.
Try a Spoonk.
Try warm bath.
Try sleeping in your own bed in your own room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 05:43 AM

994 posts, read 967,835 times
Honestly, weed works very well for me to sleep like a baby .

Old 09-27-2016, 06:24 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I have taken all sorts of meds, both natural and not natural, to help me sleep over the past few years. This was due to high stress and having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I used Benadryl for awhile daily but stopped because I don't want to take any med long term. Same with prescriptions for sleep aids and even anxiety meds and that sort of thing. I most recently take Melatonin but it's not really working and it keeps me drowsy the next day.

I'm looking for all natural ways to get a good nights sleep. I still lead a stressful life but less so than the last few years. I tend to look on my phone right at bed time too which I heard is a major no no. I also have been getting up to use the restroom a few times due to drinking water before bed. So here's the obvious I plan on doing:

No more liquids after say 6 pm outside of a quick sip to quench thirst.
No more reading the phone/tablet/computer say an hour before bed.

Exercise? I don't do traditional exercise but I walk quite often and chase my 3 year old around. I read that exercising too close to bed can be bad so maybe I need to do it earlier in the day?

What else would you recommend? It would be a dream to be able to sleep soundly without taking any kind of pills or anything.
Been there and done all you have. Never had a problem with sleeping in my life until a stressful life changing even.

All the things you are trying to do are going to be helpful. Just stick with it. I started walking in the morning 3 to 4 days a week and it seems to be helping as well. Gardening and being outside is also something I do.

Try the Melatonin again. Try 10mg, and give yourself a month to let it get in to your system. If you can find 10mg time released, that's better. I still take Melatonin, Benadryl and Ambien, but trying to get off the later and have been splitting pills.

There are a lot of suggested things you can do to try and sleep - here's just one site:

16 Foods That Help You Sleep | Reader's Digest

A good hot, relaxing bath could help too.

I never had a tv in my bedroom, except as a kid. When I started watching shows on my tablet in bed, it didn't help. My BF kept telling me it wasn't good. It wasn't until the tablet broke that my sleeping started to improve. My BF is right, a lot!

If you take other meds of any kind, they may interfere with sleep as well. I was taking D3 and Calcium per my Dr. I swear, I thought I was going through menopause again! I couldn't sleep, night sweats - horrible. Went on for months. Finally realized when it started what I had started to do differently and made the connection. Stopped taking it, 2 days later, no more problems. I refuse to take it any more. Thanks to all the people who reported that they were having the same issue!!!

The only other thing I can think of was counting backwards, and breathing slow as you count. Think of taking in "white" oxygen, and blowing out "black" picture it in your mind. My friend told me to try this.

Maybe, as a long shot, try hypnosis from someone that's certified? That could help.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:32 AM

638 posts, read 978,444 times
1 word. Ambien

Old 09-27-2016, 12:10 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Been there and done all you have. Never had a problem with sleeping in my life until a stressful life changing even.

All the things you are trying to do are going to be helpful. Just stick with it. I started walking in the morning 3 to 4 days a week and it seems to be helping as well. Gardening and being outside is also something I do.

Try the Melatonin again. Try 10mg, and give yourself a month to let it get in to your system. If you can find 10mg time released, that's better. I still take Melatonin, Benadryl and Ambien, but trying to get off the later and have been splitting pills.

There are a lot of suggested things you can do to try and sleep - here's just one site:

16 Foods That Help You Sleep | Reader's Digest

A good hot, relaxing bath could help too.

I never had a tv in my bedroom, except as a kid. When I started watching shows on my tablet in bed, it didn't help. My BF kept telling me it wasn't good. It wasn't until the tablet broke that my sleeping started to improve. My BF is right, a lot!

If you take other meds of any kind, they may interfere with sleep as well. I was taking D3 and Calcium per my Dr. I swear, I thought I was going through menopause again! I couldn't sleep, night sweats - horrible. Went on for months. Finally realized when it started what I had started to do differently and made the connection. Stopped taking it, 2 days later, no more problems. I refuse to take it any more. Thanks to all the people who reported that they were having the same issue!!!

The only other thing I can think of was counting backwards, and breathing slow as you count. Think of taking in "white" oxygen, and blowing out "black" picture it in your mind. My friend told me to try this.

Maybe, as a long shot, try hypnosis from someone that's certified? That could help.
10mg Melatonin...Good Grief. I get 8-10 good hrs with my sleep remedy (I posted it above) and it's 1/4mg melatonin.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:46 PM

236 posts, read 259,083 times
I've been a lifelong poor sleeper but a few things are somewhat helpful: take cal-mag a couple of hours before bed, make sure your room is totally dark and quiet, take a hot shower before bed, read before bed (nothing scary or too interesting -- sometimes I read a medical textbook). I don't use melatonin because it gives me nightmares and I already have vivid dreams many nights and sometimes nightmares.

Kind of surprised that people can sleep up to 10 hours (not sure I could) -- is it helpful to get that much sleep? On good nights I sleep 7 hours and am still exhausted so maybe I need more sleep, or maybe it's the vivid dreams that are tiring.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:53 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
You could have apnea. It's common to wake up tired after a normal night's sleep if you have it.

I have apnea if I sleep on my back. I'm not overweight and I don't snore.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2016, 12:16 AM

236 posts, read 259,083 times
Do you still have sleep apnea if you don't sleep on your back? I don't snore or gasp for air and I'm not overweight, but I do sleep on my back and grind my teeth so maybe.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:06 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nja2016 View Post
Do you still have sleep apnea if you don't sleep on your back? I don't snore or gasp for air and I'm not overweight, but I do sleep on my back and grind my teeth so maybe.
Nope if I'm on my side I'm good. DH keeps an eye out tells me to roll over if he sees me on my back. I gasp for air on my back. I also have bruxism.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-11-2016, 10:21 PM

74 posts, read 183,735 times
Does anyone have issues with Zolpidem not letting you sleep through the night? I always seem to wake up sooner than 7-8 hours after taking a pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness