U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 14,011,798 times

Advertisements

I have taken all sorts of meds, both natural and not natural, to help me sleep over the past few years. This was due to high stress and having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I used Benadryl for awhile daily but stopped because I don't want to take any med long term. Same with prescriptions for sleep aids and even anxiety meds and that sort of thing. I most recently take Melatonin but it's not really working and it keeps me drowsy the next day.

I'm looking for all natural ways to get a good nights sleep. I still lead a stressful life but less so than the last few years. I tend to look on my phone right at bed time too which I heard is a major no no. I also have been getting up to use the restroom a few times due to drinking water before bed. So here's the obvious I plan on doing:

No more liquids after say 6 pm outside of a quick sip to quench thirst.
No more reading the phone/tablet/computer say an hour before bed.

Exercise? I don't do traditional exercise but I walk quite often and chase my 3 year old around. I read that exercising too close to bed can be bad so maybe I need to do it earlier in the day?

What else would you recommend? It would be a dream to be able to sleep soundly without taking any kind of pills or anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 AM

34,327 posts, read 14,687,441 times
There is no TV in my bedroom, it is just for sleeping and dressing. No sugary snacks, actually no food after 7. I take 1/2 mg of melatonin an hour before bed and Z Quill. Sorry it's all that works, my problem falling asleep, I can lay there 3 hours no problem. My Dad, on the other hand, won't take anything and doesn't get good sleep (87), but he naps, short ones during the day.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:49 AM

17,128 posts, read 11,736,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
There is no TV in my bedroom, it is just for sleeping and dressing. No sugary snacks, actually no food after 7. I take 1/2 mg of melatonin an hour before bed and Z Quill. Sorry it's all that works, my problem falling asleep, I can lay there 3 hours no problem. My Dad, on the other hand, won't take anything and doesn't get good sleep (87), but he naps, short ones during the day.
What does that mean? Do you sleep in the living room with the TV on? Anyway, there are no hard and fast rules that work for everyone. First of all, insomnia comes in many forms, but there are three typical types:

1. People who have trouble falling asleep.

2. People who have trouble staying asleep and wake up too early.

3. People who wake up many times during the night.

Some insomniacs have a combination of these.

I am a chronic insomniac due to a head injury and my main problem is waking up too early. I have to take heavy duty sleep medication (Quetiapine and Hydroxyzine). I have tried every imaginable sleep remedy, people have given me all sorts of well meaning advice, and the only thing that works for me is drugs. I take a short nap during the day also. Do what you have to, and don't get too hung up on going the "natural" route. Medications are there for a reason. If they help you, use them. Quetiapine and Hydroxyine are the only medications that have worked for me consistently long term. I sleep 6 to 7 hours with that drug combination. Without them, I only sleep 3.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:36 PM

29,240 posts, read 14,375,789 times
I get at least 8 good hours of sleep nightly and my main ingredients are: low dose melatonin, inositol, gaba, calms forte'. No electronics in the bedroom, never had a tv in my sleep room.

//www.city-data.com/forum/alter...my-remedy.html

Old 09-22-2016, 07:34 PM

45,159 posts, read 29,842,003 times
I'm working on reducing my use of Lunesta. I've always found that hemisync music puts me in sleep mode.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets

Old 09-23-2016, 12:25 PM

52 posts, read 86,246 times
i don't ingest caffiene at all so i'm not sure how this plays out for others. some people tell me this can get them through the day. i think i tried a 5 hour energy a couple times over the years at others urging when i was having a rough morning with little sleep. i can't remember it waking me up.

i definately have to cut off liquids 10 hours before i want to wake up. this usually allows me to go before bed and when i wake up without getting me up in the middle of the night.

when im at my peak and doing my exercise each day i find i get myself into a nice routine. i really believe we were meant to move and if you don't it will screw up your mood, etc. if you can't go crazy a nice walk in nature at a pace for 30 minutes a day might do it. i also don't think we are meant to be stuck inside, its depressing. i like to take breaks myself and a day or two is great to veg out and catch up on movies, etc. but i find any longer and i start to feel lethargic, body aches, etc. it messes with my mental outlook on everything.

definately make sure you don't have sleep anea and all of that stuff. if you toss and turn you may not be getting quality sleep.

i have found i like to sleep on a thinner air mattress for the way it comforms to my body and doesn't kink me. i would have never thought it would be my answer after all the beds i have tried over the years.

also i recall years ago finding a video on youtube about sleep position and using a wedge under your knees to prop your lower legs up and take the edge off your lower back. i got a firm wide one that stays in place in case i would try and roll over. i would have never thought this would work, pinning you down to one position but it helped me for kinks and i find myself many times waking up 8-10 hours later! before i would roll all over the place, pinch my back, then shoulders.

i actually like to force myself to turn the lights out and browse on my phone a bit before bed so i'm in my own little world and wind down. then i don't let time drag on like watching useless tv, doing tasks like laundry, etc.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:48 PM

25,666 posts, read 25,571,149 times
I have posted in the insomnia threads because for years I've tried everything. The only caffeine I drink is a cup of tea in the morning. Cutting out the tea had no effect. Exercise, supplements, nothing had any effect. No matter how tired I was, I couldn't sleep. Nothing ever worked except prescription clonopin.

For many years I have had a documented magnesium deficiency. I took magnesium glycinate but apparently I can't absorb magnesium. On here, someone talked about magnesium oil. The "oil", which is actually a magnesium solution, is easily absorbed through the skin.

I started applying the oil and the sleep gradually is getting better! The last two nights I totally covered my body with the oil and I SLEPT! Not perfectly, but I only woke up once! Everyone is different but magnesium oil has finally done it for me!

Old 09-23-2016, 01:06 PM

29,240 posts, read 14,375,789 times
Good on the SLEEP. I've used some mag oil and still mix it in some of my topicals but I can take mag tabs/caps thru the day. That probably helps me big time. I sleep so well.

Maybe mag is the key factor to all the insomnia comments I read so much. I could never understand insomnia, never had it...thank goodness. I may take 1000mg mag thru the day, I don't count.

Speaking of air mattress, I love my sleep # bed, which is air. Years ago I slept on waterbeds and talk about comfort, comforming to the body and waking up NOT stiff....at this point I can't deal with the water.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-23-2016 at 01:15 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 02:39 PM

12,713 posts, read 14,011,798 times
If I wanted to try magnesium what exactly should I buy? Is it just called magnesium pills? And when do I take them and at what strength?

Old 09-23-2016, 02:48 PM

25,666 posts, read 25,571,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If I wanted to try magnesium what exactly should I buy? Is it just called magnesium pills? And when do I take them and at what strength?
The best absorbed are probably magnesium glycinate or magnesium citrate. I think they come in 500 mg capsules. I got mine at a health food store or at Vitacost online. The ones you get in the drugstore usually cause diarrhea and are not as well absorbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness