Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:06 PM

339 posts, read 665,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, unless you have open sores on your buttocks, or are putting your hand straight from your rear end to your mouth , the danger is going to remain theoretical.

Staph, E. coli, etc., do not burrow through intact skin.
Staph can absolutely result in an infection from intact skin. Simply Google "staph infection transmitted" and the first hit is a mayo clinic site explaining how simply touching a contaminated surface can result in staph.

An entire peer reviewed study showed how hospital bathrooms showed positive for MRSA and that protocol was implemented to reduce that risk. The toilets that weren't being wiped down/cleaned properly showed positive for staph. The entire purpose of the study was because of concern that public would be exposed to/have an increased risk of staph infection due to multiple people using bathrooms at the hospital.

Read for yourself:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2965062/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 07:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
I wasn't cherry picking. I know the article said exactly what many others said- that skin is normally an effective germ barrier and that hand washing is your best defense (common sense). My point was to reiterate that these germs can and DO live on toilet seats and although the risk is low there is still a risk.

And yes that's one type of contact dermatitis. From chemicals used to clean seats. All the more reason to use toilet seat covers! Not to mention, if you've ever seen how most cleaning personnel/janitorial staff clean a bathroom you would cringe. I've never once seen a cleaner change their gloves after using toilet brush/lifting dirty toilet seat. I've seen them use the dirty toilet water to clean the seat! the same dirty gloves they use to touch toilets are then used to touch doorknobs, wipe down sinks, etc. Overall hotel, workplace, and public restrooms in general are disgusting. Using a toilet seat cover is like washing your hands- common sense.
There is risk getting out of bed in the morning. *Theoretically*, I could slip, hit my head on the nightstand and die. I do not avoid hard furniture because there is a small risk associated with it. It is simply not how I choose to live.

I take precautions based on the circumstance.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:18 PM

339 posts, read 665,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
There is risk getting out of bed in the morning. *Theoretically*, I could slip, hit my head on the nightstand and die. I do not avoid hard furniture because there is a small risk associated with it. It is simply not how I choose to live.

I take precautions based on the circumstance.
Ok that's nice but this is a thread about why people choose whether or not they use toilet seat covers. Many people explain why they do, or why they hover, due to the chance of contracting something. Whether the risk is small or not, it's there and it justifies why people want to use toilet seat covers

Old 10-06-2016, 08:49 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
The ones who give me a chuckle are those who walk into a store, grab the disinfectant wipes, and scrub the shopping cart handle thoroughly. Then they walk through the store, putting the food they will eat into the basket. They have no idea how clean that basket is, but that never occurs to them.
Then they put that food on a belt that people have sneezed on, slobbered on, and put their filthy hands on. The checker picks the food up with hands that have touched who-knows-what, scans it across a scanner of unknown cleanliness, and puts it in bags.
Then the customer takes it outside and tosses it into the trunk of his/her car, gets in, and grabs the filthy steering wheel that probably hasn't been cleaned since the car was new, after fastening the seat belt which also hasn't been cleaned.
BUT, he/she is SAFE, because they wiped that shopping cart handle!

No, I do not bother with seat covers. I don't wipe the shopping cart handle, either!
But, I do wash the steering wheel a couple times a year.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So if you're away from home on a road trip, you just fill your Depends? The smell must be terrible.
No...a lot of women have mastered the hover....about an inch from the seat.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:27 AM

997 posts, read 937,346 times
"Don't sit, Hover" was how I was coached by my high school friend.

I found hovering to be uncomfortable and a little messy. The paper seat covers are messy too. I don't have to explain why but sometimes it causes more problems for the next party-goer...

I gave up on other systems a long time ago and decided to take my chances. I don't think it is a big deal, all things considered. If I was that concerned then I would throw some disinfectant wipes in my purse rather then hover or use those paper things.

Everybody is right. A bottom is not as much of a threat as everything we touch. People are so unsanitary. I have noticed the people who come out of the bathroom dry handed. I don't check every hand for moisture but there have been times that I have caught people dry handed. I took an informal survey about that before.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:05 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Hands are the grossest. I do de-germ my grocery cart handle. If everyone did before they came in the store, the products and everything else wouldn't be so germy.

Hovering is good.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, unless you have open sores on your buttocks, or are putting your hand straight from your rear end to your mouth , the danger is going to remain theoretical.

Staph, E. coli, etc., do not burrow through intact skin.
LOL and so true. I still don't believe that "most people hover over the toilet seat." No one knows for sure unless you have installed a spycam into a bathroom stall and review the footage regularly, and if that is YOUR habit, you have bigger issues than judging the behaviors of women in the bathroom It's politically correct for a person to claim he/she hovers, but I theorize that most people don't. I sure don't. I don't because it's silly due to our immune system defense and it's hard for me to do, even though I work out. I can squat 50 times in a row if it's not a static squat, but a still squat is very difficult. I will check to see if the seat is wet or nasty before sitting down. If it is, I go on to the next stall.

As an aside, I used to see those paper toilet seat covers in public restrooms everywhere. Now I rarely see them. I tried to use them on several occasions and had little success. When I did, I found they did not work well, both because they were hard to aim properly on the seat, thus I ended up touching the seat anyway, and they didn't want to flush down the toilet. So I believe that's why the dispensers were removed from many bathrooms.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:17 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Ok that's nice but this is a thread about why people choose whether or not they use toilet seat covers. Many people explain why they do, or why they hover, due to the chance of contracting something. Whether the risk is small or not, it's there and it justifies why people want to use toilet seat covers
Well....it's also about why people *don't * .

And the reasons most have given is that the risk is so minute that words like "theoretically" are used. And that too is a valid response.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:12 AM

932 posts, read 899,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The ones who give me a chuckle are those who walk into a store, grab the disinfectant wipes, and scrub the shopping cart handle thoroughly. Then they walk through the store, putting the food they will eat into the basket. They have no idea how clean that basket is, but that never occurs to them.
Then they put that food on a belt that people have sneezed on, slobbered on, and put their filthy hands on. The checker picks the food up with hands that have touched who-knows-what, scans it across a scanner of unknown cleanliness, and puts it in bags.
Then the customer takes it outside and tosses it into the trunk of his/her car, gets in, and grabs the filthy steering wheel that probably hasn't been cleaned since the car was new, after fastening the seat belt which also hasn't been cleaned.
BUT, he/she is SAFE, because they wiped that shopping cart handle!

No, I do not bother with seat covers. I don't wipe the shopping cart handle, either!
But, I do wash the steering wheel a couple times a year.
The food is packaged. Big differnce. So that means germs arent getting on the food bought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness