Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:15 AM

932 posts, read 899,482 times

Advertisements

Its not about virus and germs on the seat its about how nasty the seat is period!! People spit on the seat, vomit, poop,pee along other things. I refuse to sit on the seat without cleaning or tissue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
The food is packaged. Big differnce. So that means germs arent getting on the food bought
Right! How about those fresh vegetables you just bought? The ones in the ventilated bag? Those are quite secure against contamination, aren't they! How many times have you seen people sorting through unpackaged vegetables to find the ones that "look good"? How many people handled that cucumber or broccoli before you bought it?
How about all the people who touched the cans and boxes before you picked them up? they may be the no-hand-wash types, and they spread traces of feces all over everything they touched, then YOU picked it up, bought it, took it home, and put it on the shelf in your pantry or kitchen!
The point is, it is a filthy world, full of filthy people. You can NOT avoid bringing microorganisms home every time you go anywhere! You can use "sanitary wipes" as much as you want, it won't make all that much difference. Deal with it.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 AM

932 posts, read 899,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Right! How about those fresh vegetables you just bought? The ones in the ventilated bag? Those are quite secure against contamination, aren't they! How many times have you seen people sorting through unpackaged vegetables to find the ones that "look good"? How many people handled that cucumber or broccoli before you bought it?
How about all the people who touched the cans and boxes before you picked them up? they may be the no-hand-wash types, and they spread traces of feces all over everything they touched, then YOU picked it up, bought it, took it home, and put it on the shelf in your pantry or kitchen!
The point is, it is a filthy world, full of filthy people. You can NOT avoid bringing microorganisms home every time you go anywhere! You can use "sanitary wipes" as much as you want, it won't make all that much difference. Deal with it.
Is this your justification for sitting on a toliet seat without wiping it off or using toliet paper hat has been peed on, pooped on, spit on, vomitted on, maybe had sex on etc?

Let me get this right, you go to a hotel and see dirty sheets, your just going to lay and sleep in it or are you going to alert the clerk?

Old 10-07-2016, 10:49 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Is this your justification for sitting on a toliet seat without wiping it off or using toliet paper hat has been peed on, pooped on, spit on, vomitted on, maybe had sex on etc?
We obviously frequent different types of establishments.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:03 AM

339 posts, read 665,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well....it's also about why people *don't * .

And the reasons most have given is that the risk is so minute that words like "theoretically" are used. And that too is a valid response.
Helmets have also been deemed to be rather useless in preventing injury. Brain surgeons, universities, etc have studied this and found helmets aren't going to make you any safer. Yet many states and countries have mandated helmets be used when riding bikes.

Same principle goes for using some type of barrier method on toilet seats. Just because there is a "minute" risk doesn't mean people should do without hovering or covering a toilet seat (whether it be with TP, paper towels, toilet seat cover). What cracks me up is the people who think avoiding a dirty stall means the "clean" seat they opted for is any less germy. I've used bathrooms where the toilet flushing is so powerful that dirty toilet water splashes on the seat. You know what I do if I use this? I wipe it off before I exit the stall. I only use TP. So I'm not actually cleaning anything. The germs are likely still there.

I do think it's worth noting that many men and women prefer to be hairless "down there" in today's culture... So the risk of microscopic tears or cuts from waxing or shaving is more likely than you think.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We obviously frequent different types of establishments.
Boy, howdy, THAT'S for sure!

Old 10-07-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Let me get this right, you go to a hotel and see dirty sheets, your just going to lay and sleep in it or are you going to alert the clerk?
After thinking about this for a while, I do believe it merits a more in-depth response.
IMO, it shows one of the major problems with internet forums. There are entirely too many armchair psycho-analysts who like to "read between the lines", even though it is pretty well known among thinking people that between the lines there is generally nothing but empty space.
NOWHERE did I or anybody else say anything remotely like the garbage spewed in the quoted post! Even "reading between the lines" one would be hard pressed to get that out of anything written in this thread.
Of course, the post is also a fine example of the need to proof-read before hitting the "Submit Reply" button. It may also be a fine example of the best that person can do, as well.
Whatever...

Old 10-07-2016, 12:35 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Almost all nasty things one can get die quickly on DRY surfaces. So toilet seats are pretty safe. Just pick a dry one. Proper hand washing will take of a lot of things too. Proper hand washing takes a few rounds of Twinkle Twinkle or Happy Birthday in your head as you rub your soapy hands together, and give them a good rinse, too.

I've done janitorial for 18 years...people are way too crazy hysterical over germs. There are people who really need to be, but most of us aren't unlucky to really have to be that way...

Old 10-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
After thinking about this for a while, I do believe it merits a more in-depth response.
IMO, it shows one of the major problems with internet forums. There are entirely too many armchair psycho-analysts who like to "read between the lines", even though it is pretty well known among thinking people that between the lines there is generally nothing but empty space.
NOWHERE did I or anybody else say anything remotely like the garbage spewed in the quoted post! Even "reading between the lines" one would be hard pressed to get that out of anything written in this thread.
Of course, the post is also a fine example of the need to proof-read before hitting the "Submit Reply" button. It may also be a fine example of the best that person can do, as well.
Whatever...
Key2success asked valid questions to further the conversation of this topic. In response, you seem rather butt-hurt. No pun intended. all kidding aside I think those are valid questions. Where does one draw the line? Sitting bare bottom on a dirty toilet seat doesn't bother someone yet sleeping in a dirty hotel bed may. It's an interesting and valid point to ponder/discuss.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Almost all nasty things one can get die quickly on DRY surfaces. So toilet seats are pretty safe. Just pick a dry one. Proper hand washing will take of a lot of things too. Proper hand washing takes a few rounds of Twinkle Twinkle or Happy Birthday in your head as you rub your soapy hands together, and give them a good rinse, too.

I've done janitorial for 18 years...people are way too crazy hysterical over germs. There are people who really need to be, but most of us aren't unlucky to really have to be that way...
Out of curiosity, do you change gloves when cleaning toilets before you start cleaning other surfaces? I've never seen a janitor do this. I've actually reported a few of the cleaning staff members in hospitals when visiting my family members that were battling cancer. Here these poor people have weakened immune systems to the point where visitors need to wear a mask and gloves, yet the cleaning staff comes in wearing gloves, touches doorknobs, lifts the toilet seat, cleans it with dirty scrub brush, then touched all the bathroom surfaces to clean them while wearing the same gloves. The cleaner then proceeds to touch hospital room doorknob wearing dirty gloves. I don't understand why this is common protocol amongst 99% of the janitorial staff I've witnessed cleaning bathrooms, whether it be hospital, workplace, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness