Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 02:55 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times

Advertisements

I've heard that mammograms don't detect many occurrences, that ultrasound is better HOWEVER, thank goodness for the ones that they do detect.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:05 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've heard that mammograms don't detect many occurrences, that ultrasound is better HOWEVER, thank goodness for the ones that they do detect.
Mammography cannot pick up all cancers, but ultrasound is not better than mammography.

Ultrasound scan for breast cancer screening - Moose and Doc

Old 10-22-2016, 05:11 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But if you are using that as a reason to not trust MDs, you can't disregard the very same attribute for someone else.

You can obviously trust whomever you'd like, but stop saying the reason to not trust MDs is because they make money, because it makes no sense when you have no issue with alternative practitioners making money.
Everyone and all doctors be they pharma only or the integrative alternative/holistic MD's...make money. I've been thru damage from pharma drugs myself, trip to ER with stomach ulcer and my daughter on life support due to drug interactions. I don't want to get burned anymore..I've posted a lot of my history on these issues over the time I've been here.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:45 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Jaminhealth, it has to do with your genes, not iodine or OPC's. Breast cancer runs in families, as does diabetes.
That doesn't make sense, breast cancer isn't always genetic. You can get it with no family history at all. Many cancers can be environmentally caused.

Also, people here say mammograms don't cause cancer. Well, they involve radiation. It's a known fact that radiation is carcinogenic (yes, a known scientific fact and not one of those debatable topics). So yes, in some sense, mammograms can cause/contribute to cancer because radiation is carcinogenic.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:12 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
That doesn't make sense, breast cancer isn't always genetic. You can get it with no family history at all. Many cancers can be environmentally caused.

Also, people here say mammograms don't cause cancer. Well, they involve radiation. It's a known fact that radiation is carcinogenic (yes, a known scientific fact and not one of those debatable topics). So yes, in some sense, mammograms can cause/contribute to cancer because radiation is carcinogenic.
A cancer can have a genetic cause even if the gene was not inherited from a parent.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/breast-cancer#genes

"Cancers occur when a buildup of mutations in critical genes—those that control cell growth and division or repair damaged DNA—allow cells to grow and divide uncontrollably to form a tumor. In most cases of breast cancer, these genetic changes are acquired during a person's lifetime and are present only in certain cells in the breast. These changes, which are called somatic mutations, are not inherited. Somatic mutations in many different genes have been found in breast cancer cells. Less commonly, gene mutations present in essentially all of the body's cells increase the risk of developing breast cancer. These genetic changes, which are classified as germline mutations, are usually inherited from a parent. In people with germline mutations, changes in other genes, together with environmental and lifestyle factors, also influence whether a person will develop breast cancer."

I posted this earlier in the thread. Apparently you did not read it.

http://doseoptimization.jacr.org/Con...University.pdf

The risk of getting breast cancer from the radiation from a mammogram is about 1 in 70,000 at age 40, 1 in 125,000 at age 50, 1 in 250,000 at age 60, and 1 in 500,000 at age 70.

The lifetime risk of an American woman developing breast cancer is 1 in 8.

By age:

"According to the current report, the risk that a woman will be diagnosed with breast cancer during the next 10 years, starting at the following ages, is as follows:

Age 30 . . . . . . 0.44 percent (or 1 in 227)
Age 40 . . . . . . 1.47 percent (or 1 in 68)
Age 50 . . . . . . 2.38 percent (or 1 in 42)
Age 60 . . . . . . 3.56 percent (or 1 in 28)
Age 70 . . . . . . 3.82 percent (or 1 in 26)
These probabilities are averages for the whole population. An individual woman’s breast cancer risk may be higher or lower depending on a number of known factors and on factors that are not yet fully understood.

https://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/risk-fact-sheet

In case arithmetic is not your strong suit, at age 40 the risk of having breast cancer is 1750 times the risk that a mammogram will cause cancer."

Old 10-22-2016, 09:54 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post

Kind of like the accuracy of mammograms over thermography....

A known scientific fact and not debatable

Old 10-22-2016, 10:02 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's true and I trust the Mercola's and Perlmutter's and Brownstein's, Sinatra's etc etc...much more than I can trust the conventional one's writing their scripts. These doctors are helping a lot who work on their own health. I know enough here who attack their work.

It all boils down to one's mindset: Holistic/Alternative or Pharma OR both to degrees.
It does boil down to one's mindset: Unproven nonsense or well researched scientific treatment

Why anyone would trust the Mercola's, Brownstein's and Sinatra's of the world that are just out to make a buck selling there wares and books without a shred of evidence to support their nonsense is beyond me..

Old 10-22-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It does boil down to one's mindset: Unproven nonsense or well researched scientific treatment

Why anyone would trust the Mercola's, Brownstein's and Sinatra's of the world that are just out to make a buck selling there wares and books without a shred of evidence to support their nonsense is beyond me..
Oh, please and your doctors aren't out to make a buck. Thank goodness for these doctors and all their research and giving it to the public.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:52 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A cancer can have a genetic cause even if the gene was not inherited from a parent.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/breast-cancer#genes

"Cancers occur when a buildup of mutations in critical genes—those that control cell growth and division or repair damaged DNA—allow cells to grow and divide uncontrollably to form a tumor. In most cases of breast cancer, these genetic changes are acquired during a person's lifetime and are present only in certain cells in the breast. These changes, which are called somatic mutations, are not inherited. Somatic mutations in many different genes have been found in breast cancer cells. Less commonly, gene mutations present in essentially all of the body's cells increase the risk of developing breast cancer. These genetic changes, which are classified as germline mutations, are usually inherited from a parent. In people with germline mutations, changes in other genes, together with environmental and lifestyle factors, also influence whether a person will develop breast cancer."

I posted this earlier in the thread. Apparently you did not read it.

http://doseoptimization.jacr.org/Con...University.pdf

The risk of getting breast cancer from the radiation from a mammogram is about 1 in 70,000 at age 40, 1 in 125,000 at age 50, 1 in 250,000 at age 60, and 1 in 500,000 at age 70.

The lifetime risk of an American woman developing breast cancer is 1 in 8.

By age:

"According to the current report, the risk that a woman will be diagnosed with breast cancer during the next 10 years, starting at the following ages, is as follows:

Age 30 . . . . . . 0.44 percent (or 1 in 227)
Age 40 . . . . . . 1.47 percent (or 1 in 68)
Age 50 . . . . . . 2.38 percent (or 1 in 42)
Age 60 . . . . . . 3.56 percent (or 1 in 28)
Age 70 . . . . . . 3.82 percent (or 1 in 26)
These probabilities are averages for the whole population. An individual woman’s breast cancer risk may be higher or lower depending on a number of known factors and on factors that are not yet fully understood.

https://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/risk-fact-sheet

In case arithmetic is not your strong suit, at age 40 the risk of having breast cancer is 1750 times the risk that a mammogram will cause cancer."
I knew two women who died of breast cancer. One was in her late 30's and the other in her early 50's. This is when they died, not when they were first diagnosed. They each only lived about 5 years after first being diagnosed. Mammograms didn't do either very much good because there is no CURE for breast cancer. So at age 30 there is only a 0.44 percent chance of breast cancer? I suppose this one woman's odds were totally against her having a grandmother, mother, sister, and aunt who all died from breast cancer. Maybe she should have gotten a mammogram in her 20's?

THE major factor is a family history of breast cancer, not just statistical AGE to promote "one size fits" ALL women getting more unnecessary testing.

I am well past age 40 and never had a mammogram. None of my women in my family ever had breast cancer, including those who lived into their 70's, 80's, and even 90's.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:55 PM

As my canadian friend says, this may be a life saving story she lived thru.

((This is going back 30 odd years so here goes. I am now 73.

I was always worried about having lumpy breasts. There were some huge fibroids in there.

So when I was 40 (and a dummy) I decided that I was going to have a Mamm every year around my birthday, to use that as a reminder.

So I did.

Then when I was 41, I had a second one booked and before I left that room that day, a door opened on the other side and in walked this man. He introduced himself as the Radiologist and said, “Were you in here last year for a Mammogram?” “Yes I was”. “Then why are you in here again this year?”
I replied that I had decided that I was going to have a Mammogram every year.
And his reply (bless his heart) was, “Don’t you know they can GIVE you Cancer?”

No I didn’t know that, 30 years ago. So that was my last Mammogram until around 2005 maybe and I was pressured into having another one by my doctor.

Then I read somewhere that someone famous said that your Mind is so powerful that looking at your breasts each month and examining them with INTENT to finding something, could actually cause a change in cells. Wish I could remember who it was.

Anyway, that Radiologist might have saved my life.))

This friend now takes 12.5mg Lugols daily at this point. No mamms anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness