Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 03:30 AM

36,961 posts, read 40,898,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And the doctors are forever saying there is so little radiation going into your body. My daughter was pushed to these in her 40's and now at 53 will do no more.
Doctors do still recommend mammograms. They have difficulty agreeing on when to start and how often to do them.

https://www.uspreventiveservicestask...cer-screening1

"For women who are at average risk for breast cancer, most of the benefit of mammography results from biennial screening during ages 50 to 74 years. Of all of the age groups, women aged 60 to 69 years are most likely to avoid breast cancer death through mammography screening. While screening mammography in women aged 40 to 49 years may reduce the risk for breast cancer death, the number of deaths averted is smaller than that in older women and the number of false-positive results and unnecessary biopsies is larger. The balance of benefits and harms is likely to improve as women move from their early to late 40s."

The link describes how the benefit/risk equation varies with age and risk factors.

The problem with "over-diagnosis" with mammograms is that two women can have the same mammogram results and same biopsy results. One might never have had a problem from her tumor; the other might die. There is no way a doctor can tell which one is which. The only safe alternative is to treat both, because waiting for one's tumor to get big enough to feel might reduce her chances of cure.

Radiation from mammography:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/824999

http://doseoptimization.jacr.org/Con...University.pdf

"By using data such as that, he said, the risk of dying from cancer because of mammography in a woman aged 40 years is 1/70,000; the risk declines rapidly with age."

At age 70 the risk is 1 in 500,000.

Risk of dying from breast cancer for a US woman is 1 in 36.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:39 AM

7,980 posts, read 5,328,586 times
https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-que...30.html?ref=gs

"Mammograms do catch some deadly cancers and save lives. But they also find many early cancers that are not destined to grow or spread and become a health threat. There is no good way to tell which ones will, so many women get treatments they don't really need. It's a twin problem: overdiagnosis and over treatment."

I often wonder that ^. I find them a very barbaric. Every time I get one I swear it will be my last. I find it hard to believe smashing of the breasts is all they have come up with. My last one was three years ago. I am 59.
I also agree with the paragraph I posted. I am not convinced.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:08 AM

14,197 posts, read 11,436,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I find it hard to believe smashing of the breasts is all they have come up with. My last one was three years ago. I am 59.
You can get an MRI, but they're very expensive. I've had breast cancer twice, and the second one was found only by MRI. I'm 47.

Of course everyone is free to play the odds if they like. The odds are 88% that you will not get breast cancer in your lifetime.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I have a good friend in her early 50s who is the picture of health, exercised frequently, ate mostly plant-based organic diet and had no history of breast cancer in her family. Went for a routine mammogram and they found early stage breast cancer which was fortunately curable. Her routine screening saved her life.
One point of the study is that even if a cancer is found there is a good chance that the cancer, if left untreated, would not necessarily kill you. You can't make the assumption that all cancer is malignant and aggressive enough to kill. People and certain cancers can coexist for many years.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:31 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Quote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-que...30.html?ref=gs

"Mammograms do catch some deadly cancers and save lives. But they also find many early cancers that are not destined to grow or spread and become a health threat. There is no good way to tell which ones will, so many women get treatments they don't really need. It's a twin problem: overdiagnosis and over treatment."

I often wonder that ^. I find them a very barbaric. Every time I get one I swear it will be my last. I find it hard to believe smashing of the breasts is all they have come up with. My last one was three years ago. I am 59.
So right - if that was how guys got tested for TESTICULAR cancer you can be danged sure they'd figure out something else really quick!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:57 AM

36,961 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Quote:

See the sentence in bold. Until they can somehow tell whose early cancer will kill and whose will not, what are doctors supposed to do?

It's similar to the situation with appendicitis before better diagnostic test came along.

A surgeon was expected to operate on people who turned out to have a normal appendix a certain percentage of the time because not operating on someone who did have it could be catastrophic.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,554,682 times
Smashing the breasts NEVER felt like the right thing to do. Barberic for sure. I stopped after 2 in my early 50's and then did years of my own research. There is the thermography if one is dead set on testing and too bad the insurance world doesn't pay for these. I'm counting on the iodine protocol for my breast health, and OPC's which are powerful antioxidants.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:21 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,161,197 times
What are OPC's?

My breast cancer (which does NOT run in my family) was detected with a routine mammogram and confirmed with ultrasound and biopsy's. I chose a double mastectomy without chemo or radiation as I didn't want to have to go for mammograms every 6 months to ensure the cancer didn't return. I had two different kinds, lobular & something else I can't remember. Insurance paid for reconstruction (we can thank Bill Clinton for that).

My BC was discovered 8 months after my husband died and in joining a breast cancer forum I discovered that quite a few women were diagnosed after a traumatic event, perhaps proof that we all have cancer in our bodies but it takes something triggering it to become malignant?

Old 10-15-2016, 03:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,554,682 times
Stress I've read is a major factor in these cancers. OPC's are powerful antioxidants which include pycnogenol and grape seed extract. I've been taking them since 1995.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:11 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,161,197 times
Grape seed extract is on my list for my next trip to the Vitamin Shoppe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness