Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:58 PM

14,924 posts, read 12,116,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
One point of the study is that even if a cancer is found there is a good chance that the cancer, if left untreated, would not necessarily kill you. You can't make the assumption that all cancer is malignant and aggressive enough to kill. People and certain cancers can coexist for many years.
So it might, but do you want to play those odds if they find a cancer when you have a mammogram done?

Therein lies the problem.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:21 PM

10,087 posts, read 6,413,509 times
My mother had breast cancer at age 62 and my sister at age 74 (both were treated and survived the cancer). There is NO way I am skipping my annual mammogram!

Old 10-16-2016, 06:33 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,378,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Stress I've read is a major factor in these cancers. OPC's are powerful antioxidants which include pycnogenol and grape seed extract. I've been taking them since 1995.
After watching this documentary: "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies" I came to the conclusion we have no idea what causes Cancer.
Nor any real answers to how to cure it and keep it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So it might, but do you want to play those odds if they find a cancer when you have a mammogram done?

Therein lies the problem.
I just don't know. I play the odds the last couple of years and not getting a mammogram. Do I want to know? Do I want to make that decision? I just don't know.

Again after watching that documentary I just wonder. It is as if we have no answers and it is all about $$$$.

It was a painful, heart wrenching documentary to watch. If left me bewildered. It left me with many questions. Sadly it seems the only real winners are the Pharmaceutical Companies and some of the doctors that get the kickbacks from ordering the drugs.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,035,126 times
I've had 2 doctors tell me there are already known cures but the pharmaceuticals are not letting that info out cause they stand to lose too much money. Cancer is BIG BUSINESS

Old 10-16-2016, 06:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,035,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My BC was discovered 8 months after my husband died and in joining a breast cancer forum I discovered that quite a few women were diagnosed after a traumatic event, perhaps proof that we all have cancer in our bodies but it takes something triggering it to become malignant?
That might be true but it is too close to extrapolate that stress causes cancer. How would you apply that to little children or babies born with cancer or people who have endured untold stress who never get cancer like life long poverty and illness, POWs etc?

Old 10-16-2016, 06:47 AM

15,217 posts, read 10,291,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That might be true but it is too close to extrapolate that stress causes cancer. How would you apply that to little children or babies born with cancer or people who have endured untold stress who never get cancer like life long poverty and illness, POWs etc?

Everybody's different as is their immune system. If you have a dormant cancer and your antibodies have been keeping it under control, then BAM a major trauma or accident that lowers your immune system and allows the cancer to take hold. That's the theory behind stress and cancer.

I have fibromyalgia as does my sister. We cannot take a lot of meds that are fine for other people. If I take a Vicodin, for example, it will keep me awake most of the night where for many other people it knocks them out.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:53 AM

6,881 posts, read 7,876,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Same thing with paps...I skip every other year now for both.
Interesting...I got a new GP last year. She said I could skip my pap last year. (I was 47). I was a little surprised because I hadn't heard of every other year....

At this year's pap, abnormal cells were detected...I have HPV and had to go in for a colposcopy, biopsy of the cells from my cervix. Negative result. I have to have a follow up pap in 6 months. So I will not be skipping a pap (that my insurance will pay for) ever again.

I'm a little confused by some of these posts...do people think that mammograms PREVENT breast cancer? As in "I can take iodine which will prevent breast cancer so I don't need a mammogram"???

Mammograms are free and easy to do. IF you have breast cancer, a mammogram can detect it. IF you have breast cancer, and you don't have a mammogram, how will you detect it?

To say something like, "I know someone who never had a mammogram and never had breast cancer so therefore I don't need a mammogram" demonstrates a serious lack of understanding of cause and effect. And "If I get breast cancer, I don't want to know". Have mercy! It seems unfair that insurance companies have to pay out for people like this.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:11 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Interesting...I got a new GP last year. She said I could skip my pap last year. (I was 47). I was a little surprised because I hadn't heard of every other year....

At this year's pap, abnormal cells were detected...I have HPV and had to go in for a colposcopy, biopsy of the cells from my cervix. Negative result. I have to have a follow up pap in 6 months. So I will not be skipping a pap (that my insurance will pay for) ever again.

I'm a little confused by some of these posts...do people think that mammograms PREVENT breast cancer? As in "I can take iodine which will prevent breast cancer so I don't need a mammogram"???

Mammograms are free and easy to do. IF you have breast cancer, a mammogram can detect it. IF you have breast cancer, and you don't have a mammogram, how will you detect it?

To say something like, "I know someone who never had a mammogram and never had breast cancer so therefore I don't need a mammogram" demonstrates a serious lack of understanding of cause and effect. And "If I get breast cancer, I don't want to know". Have mercy! It seems unfair that insurance companies have to pay out for people like this.
I don't think it is smart to NEVER get a mammogram...or never get a pap...but getting them too often and they are more likely to pick up "noise" than something real. I rarely believe in all or nothing when it comes to medical stuff.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:43 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,218,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've had 2 doctors tell me there are already known cures but the pharmaceuticals are not letting that info out cause they stand to lose too much money. Cancer is BIG BUSINESS
Absolute rubbish.....

No one is HIDING A CURE

Old 10-16-2016, 08:55 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,945,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Jaminhealth, it has to do with your genes, not iodine or OPC's. Breast cancer runs in families, as does diabetes.
Your ideas and advice on healthcare really should go on an alternate/herbal/some other kind of forum, as your ideas do not coincide with scientific studies.

I hate to think that someone with a family history of breast cancer or diabetes would see your posts and take your advice to heart rather than proven scientific evidence and advice from the medical community.

There, I said it.
This. Speaking of scientific studies, I suggest that all readers who really want to know the actual results of these studies should go to the source and read the journal articles themselves, not media reports or blogs about them. These media reports and blogs often use scare tactics or exciting headlines as clickbait and bear little or no resemblance to the results that the scientists actually obtained when they performed the experiment. If you have trouble deciphering the statistical or scientific jargon the authors use, there are several websites available that can define these terms for you. Knowledge is power and learning is a wonderful thing especially when it comes to health matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.