Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:00 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I

Flu vaccines are a guessing game - they try to guess what strain of flu is going to hit the US each winter and crank out that vaccine. But the influenza virus mutates very fast so often the vaccine is not the right one anyway.

Good point. But I think they are correct most of the time, though I've never seen any statistics on that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-18-2016, 12:17 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't get sick - maybe once every 5 years (includes, colds sore throats, etc.), and I take no supplements.

I still get the flu shot just in case.

I have a pharmaceutically lowered immune system.

I DO exercise and eat a healthy diet.
Oh, so I guess you gave up on the supps you said you took.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Is it possible that the flu shot focuses your immune system on certain strains of flu, causing it to ignore other strains, thereby making you more vulnerable to those other strains?

Is it possible that a person who is almost immune to a certain strain of flu, but catches that strain, might get some symptoms for 24 hours before the immune system gets rid of the virus? And that might cause the flu to become a 24 hour virus?

The above speculation is based only on logic, not on knowledge or educated guessing. I'm hoping people who know more might help speculate better.
No.

Never heard of that happening. This "24 hour flu" thing is an urban legend.
https://www.verywell.com/what-is-the-24-hour-flu-770474
Numerous other links on this subject are available.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No.

Never heard of that happening. This "24 hour flu" thing is an urban legend.
https://www.verywell.com/what-is-the-24-hour-flu-770474
Numerous other links on this subject are available.
Oh I can recall in my long life, a 24 hr flu like condition.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh I can recall in my long life, a 24 hr flu like condition.
And I am 99.99% sure it was not flu as caused by the influenza virus, but another "Influenza-like illness". Many viruses cause very similar symptoms, particularly fever, headache and body aches.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And I am 99.99% sure it was not flu as caused by the influenza virus, but another "Influenza-like illness". Many viruses cause very similar symptoms, particularly fever, headache and body aches.
I don't care what kind it was, it was a 24 hr unwell flu feeling.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
I get it some years, other years not. It seems to make no difference in whether I get the flu or not, but the Dr. claims it does, so I will take his word for it. Some years I do get the flu shot and do not get the flu, other times I do. Some years I do not get the flu shot and do not get the flu, other times I do.

It was funny this year, when the nurse gave me the shot she said I would get flu like symptoms - a mild fever etc, and if it lasted longer than 3 days I should come back in. I told her I never get symptoms form the flu shot. She said, "this year you will." I did. Is there something about this year's shot that give people symptoms more than other years?

Old 10-18-2016, 01:38 PM

37,100 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Is it possible that the flu shot focuses your immune system on certain strains of flu, causing it to ignore other strains, thereby making you more vulnerable to those other strains?

Is it possible that a person who is almost immune to a certain strain of flu, but catches that strain, might get some symptoms for 24 hours before the immune system gets rid of the virus? And that might cause the flu to become a 24 hour virus?

The above speculation is based only on logic, not on knowledge or educated guessing. I'm hoping people who know more might help speculate better.
Your first question concerns the possibility of the vaccine selecting out other strains. There was a study in Canada that suggested that having had the regular seasonal flu vaccine the year before increased the risk of getting the H1N1 strain the next year, but when they looked for that effect they could not find it in other countries.

People who get the flu after vaccination do tend to have milder disease. I have heard one infectious disease expert say that people who are vaccinated do not end up in his ICU. That may be hyperbole, but the vaccine is useful even though it is less effective than other vaccines.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:41 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Come on - what does "unwell flu feeling" mean? If we're going to be THAT imprecise let's lump all viruses and infections together (cold-like, flu-like, fever-like, stomach-like, intestine-like, anything-like) and say you've got the "smuk"! There's no point trying to talk and disagree with each other when we include every ill known to man.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
And that adds to the "urban legend" stuff about getting flu shots and then getting "the flu", etc.

Here is a chart that compares colds and flu:
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/d...-a-cold-or-flu

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-18-2016 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness