Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

My periods started early and ended fairly early. I was perimenopausal around age 40, and pretty much through everything before 45. Had a few hot flashes but nothing terrible. I tried HRT for a BRIEF time but it caused a breast cancer scare and I stopped. The freedom of no periods is incredibly liberating as I am 67 now and I feel GREAT! Oh, and I never lost sex drive, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 07:31 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I still get all the monthly symptoms....bloating, cranky, crampy, but no bleeding. I have no other health issues except I am now gaining a lot of weight due to this as I'm usually normal weight.

Does anyone have any advise on how I can cope with this for the next 30-50 years?? Has anyone also gone through it early? And I don't just mean perimenopause, but I mean full menopause so early? Any recommendations on natural progesterone creams, etc.

Thanks so much!
Have you considered trying Vitex agnus-castus (Chaste tree berry). It supposed to work on the pituitary gland in regulating progesterone in relation to estrogen. Its been around 1000 plus years but has never really been studied by the pharmacy industry, kinda like weed, there's no money in it for them. But its popular with naturalist/herbalist. Most women use it to try and get pregnant but it's origin of use was for the monks in the monastery to decrease the male libido. Maybe by replacing the hormone testosterone with progesterone/estrogen on the body's dopamine receptors. I'm researching it right now as a treatment for my pre-menopause symptoms instead of synthetic hormones.

I'm also reading a couple of books by the late Dr. John R. Lee, Dr. Jesse Hanley and Virginia Hopkins (Google them). They were pioneers in women hormonal health for a number of years. Keep us posted as people like you who posts are a tremendous help to us all.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:15 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Have you considered trying Vitex agnus-castus (Chaste tree berry). It supposed to work on the pituitary gland in regulating progesterone in relation to estrogen. Its been around 1000 plus years but has never really been studied by the pharmacy industry, kinda like weed, there's no money in it for them. But its popular with naturalist/herbalist. Most women use it to try and get pregnant but it's origin of use was for the monks in the monastery to decrease the male libido. Maybe by replacing the hormone testosterone with progesterone/estrogen on the body's dopamine receptors. I'm researching it right now as a treatment for my pre-menopause symptoms instead of synthetic hormones.

I'm also reading a couple of books by the late Dr. John R. Lee, Dr. Jesse Hanley and Virginia Hopkins (Google them). They were pioneers in women hormonal health for a number of years. Keep us posted as people like you who posts are a tremendous help to us all.
Progesterone is not made by the pituitary gland. It is made by the ovary, after ovulation occurs. After menopause women do not ovulate. Nothing can be done after menopause to the pituitary to "regulate" progesterone (or estrogen). That is why the level of the pituitary hormone follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) goes up after menopause. There are no functioning egg follicles for the pituitary to stimulate and the pituitary ramps up FSH because there is no estrogen from follicles to tell the pituitary to make less FSH.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/chasteberry

"A few preliminary studies found that chasteberry may improve some symptoms of premenstrual syndrome but the evidence isn’t firm.
Researchers have studied chasteberry for breast pain and infertility, but there isn’t enough reliable scientific evidence to know if it helps.
There’s no evidence that chasteberry helps with menopausal symptoms."

Old 10-24-2016, 09:11 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Progesterone is not made by the pituitary gland. It is made by the ovary, after ovulation occurs. After menopause women do not ovulate. Nothing can be done after menopause to the pituitary to "regulate" progesterone (or estrogen). That is why the level of the pituitary hormone follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) goes up after menopause. There are no functioning egg follicles for the pituitary to stimulate and the pituitary ramps up FSH because there is no estrogen from follicles to tell the pituitary to make less FSH.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/chasteberry

"A few preliminary studies found that chasteberry may improve some symptoms of premenstrual syndrome but the evidence isn’t firm.
Researchers have studied chasteberry for breast pain and infertility, but there isn’t enough reliable scientific evidence to know if it helps.
There’s no evidence that chasteberry helps with menopausal symptoms."
You are correct, I mis-represented the pituitary gland producing progesterone. The pituitary gland influences the production of hormones in the ovaries and in fat cells after menopause according to my readings in Dr. John Lee's Hormone Balance Made Simple It (progesterone) is also made in smaller amounts by the adrenal glands and even smaller amounts by some nerve cells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness