Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 11:24 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,713,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yep.

Levothyroxine is the most prescribed drug in the US per month; 21.5 million people fill prescriptions for it each month. Not everyone takes the brand name Synthroid.

The 10 Most-Prescribed and Top-Selling Medications
That is TRUE and it's the most pushed drug in medical schools which I've heard for years Syn people FUND in their ways. There is so much payoffs in the medical world, we have no ideas. This keeps the MD's brainwashed to prescribe the Syn to their patients. Most conventional MD's won't touch desiccated support. I say Most, but I don't know this for sure, but from what I've heard along the journey of this HypoT stuff.

For what I'm coming to believe the real missing pieces to the HypoT issues is Iodine Deficiency.

I was suffering for 10 yrs (1991-2002) and never knew about Iodine or Kelp etc., with a miserable depression. I suspected HypoT but wasn't getting help from the clueless doctors....and now I'm starting to believe it was Iodine that my body was Crying for. I had no idea but years later it's more clear than ever. Good chance IF my body had sufficient Iodine, the thyroid could have been FINE.

I stopped using White Table Salts, stopped eating Tuna due to mercury scare and with the halogens going into my body, Iodine was depleted....it makes so much sense.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-24-2016 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-24-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
The differences between levothyroxine, Synthroid and Levoxyl are in the 'added, supposedly inactive' ingredients. Some people do better on one than another because they may have reactions to the added ingredients in one formula and not another. Unfortunately, those on levothyroxine (the generic) may get different formulations every time they get another supply of same because where/by whom the generics are made can vary frequently. Add that into the mix (of seasonal body requirements, etc.) and it is highly unlikely that most people are going to feel great every day no matter what medication they are on - the 'so-called natural', the 'synthetics' or any combination thereof. Additionally, as one ages our needs change apparently.

I did (I think) best on Levoxyl, up and down on levothyroxine, and am more or less 'stable' but not thrilled with how I 'feel' on Synthroid. And yet, my numbers have not varied much over the years, except seasonally.

My understanding is that very few if any doctors will prescribe Erfa (not Efra) in Canada either - and that it too has been subject to formulation/manufacturing facility changes and fluctuations in efficacy like any other 'drug' - as are any of the ones I mentioned above that I have taken. It may be available but it is not sanctioned on the allowable list of drugs according to my doctor/pharmacy up there. I was told ONLY Synthroid is. My doctor first renewed my Levoxyl prescription (which is what I had been taking in the US) and then it had to be changed when I went to fill it. And I don't use any 'insurance' to purchase these so that was not the reason why Levoxyl is not available to me up there right now ... it is because the government deals with the drug companies directly and secures the 'best bulk deal' for all pharmacies/doctors in that regard. I am certain that Synthroid can't be a 'one size fits all solution' for everyone but right now it is the only one I am told is available where I spend time up there right now - but who knows, that could change the next time the 'contract' comes up for renewal.

I go back and forth between the US and Canada but I had to make a decision where I would secure my healthcare because I am now dependent on the availability of some form of hypo meds - and it isn't good to vary those constantly (according to how I read MY body anyway) - and in neither place where I spend time am I close to a border so I can't just 'hop over' to get a prescription renewed or see a doctor in a different country.

This is a complicated and little understood condition - and I think the reason many doctors (even if they are smart enough to test for and diagnose it) go with the 'numbers' is because they don't really understand it either, and they would prefer to avoid getting sued by going with an industry standard rather than prescribing according to whether a patient 'feels good' or 'doesn't feel good'. Of course there is also the fact that what 'feels good' is quite subjective .. many of us were diagnosed so long ago (and/or we have aged and perhaps don't understand what we should 'feel' like at the new age) that we may not even totally recall or know how we should 'feel' any more. What 'feels good' to me may not be what 'feels good' to you.

The long term complications that can arise also from being under or over-treated are significant unfortunately. This is not an easy condition to manage even with the best of advice and insight and knowledge. It won't kill us today (though one's quality of life can be affected on a daily basis) but its long term implications are horrible if not treated or if mistreated.

And, it really, really matters 'when' you have those numbers taken too because of those fluctuations I keep talking about. For instance, if I go to the doctor for a renewal in mid-winter, he is likely to prescribe a different dosage than he might if I went for that blood test in summer - but the dosage is then good for the whole year in my case (unless I am changed to a different med entirely - in which case I need to go back again in about 3 months for another test and that could be changed based on whatever results show at that time).

Anyway .. I wish any of you who have this condition the best of luck in finding the doctor and medication that works for you. Sadly that is very often difficult to do.

I'm arriving more and more to the realization and conclusion that the massive HypoT conditions are all related to IODINE deficiency. Our thyroids are not getting the much needed Iodine for the thyroid to do it's work.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I've been hypoT with Hashimoto's for over 35 years. I originally was put on Synthroid and it seemed to be working according to the numbers. I had never had symptoms so I couldn't say if it was working for my symptoms. As my thyroid deteriorated from the attack of my immune system, my numbers dictated higher and higher doses of Synthroid. I developed symptoms for the first time and my doctors just kept upping the dose with no help to my symptoms. I gained weight, my hair was falling out, my skin was dry and cracked, and I had a lot of pain which had no apparent cause.

Eventually I started reading up on my condition and found out about Armour. I convinced my endo to let me try it and we had a little trouble titrating the dose, due to the slow response of the body to changes in dosage. At last we found a dosage that allowed my numbers to remain stable, and my symptoms started to diminish over about 4 months. I have been on the same dose of Armour now for about 20 years with very little change in my numbers (I always request a full thyroid panel, not just TSH), and my symptoms are down to about 10% of what they were at my worst (still have a much lesser version of my "mystery pain", and assume I always will).

When I moved to a new state and had to change doctors my new doc didn't want me to take Armour, she convinced me to try Synthroid again. Against my better judgement, I tried it. What happened was an almost immediate return of my symptoms and my doctor could not find a dose that would keep my numbers from varying widely. A small dose adjustment would send my numbers soaring or plummeting. My hair started to fall out again and I insisted to be put back on Armour. Within weeks my hair loss slowed down and within a couple months my numbers were stable again. My doc and I have found a dose that works for me, and I get tested every 6 months. I will never go back to Synthroid.

Your mileage may vary.
I've heard enough stories like your's and I'm on of them. I've told my story and how an endo persuaed me to get off Armour that I had started working with and I listened to him and ended up with falling over fatigue.

As I am now believing more and more, Iodine is the missing nutrient to all this HypoT miserable issues. Our thyroid are crying out for iodine and we're not aware of this massive deficiency our bodies live with..unless one has been supplementing with kelp or iodine for years.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-24-2016 at 01:04 PM..

Old 10-24-2016, 12:18 PM

37,085 posts, read 41,201,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That is TRUE and it's the most pushed drug in medical schools which I've heard for years Syn people FUND in their ways. There is so much payoffs in the medical world, we have no ideas. This keeps the MD's brainwashed to prescribe the Syn to their patients. Most conventional MD's won't touch desiccated support. I say Most, but I don't know this for sure, but from what I've heard along the journey of this HypoT stuff.

For what I'm coming to believe the real missing pieces to the HypoT issues is Iodine Deficiency.

I was suffering for 10 yrs (1991-2002) and never knew about Iodine or Kelp etc., with a miserable depression. I suspected HypoT but wasn't getting help from the clueless doctors....and now I'm starting to believe it was Iodine that my body was Crying for. I had no idea but years later it's more clear than ever. Good chance IF my body had sufficient Iodine, the thyroid could have been FINE.

I stopped using White Table Salts, stopped eating Tuna due to mercury scare and with the halogens going into my body, Iodine was depleted....it makes so much sense.
I know, all those doctors who see patients with hypothyrpoidism all day every working day could not possibly know more than anyone with a computer and Google can find out.

Iodine Deficiency - American Thyroid Association

"Taking too much iodine can also cause problems. This is especially true in individuals that already have thyroid problems, such as nodules, hyperthyroidism and autoimmune thyroid disease. Administration of large amounts of iodine through medications (ie Amiodarone), radiology procedures (iodinated intravenous dye) and dietary excess (Dulce, kelp) can cause or worsen hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
In addition, individuals who move from an iodine-deficient region (for example, parts of Europe) to a region with adequate iodine intake (for example, the United States) may also develop thyroid problems since their thyroids have become very good at taking up and using small amounts of iodine. In particular, these patients may develop iodine-induced hyperthyroidism."

Iodine: How Much is Too Much? | Paleo Leap

"In healthy people, iodine deficiency is clearly related to hypothyroid disorders, and adequate iodine intake is preventative. But too much of a good thing is not necessarily better. This study*, for example, found that iodine overnutrition also contributed to autoimmune thyroid disorders and hypothyroidism. And this study* found a positive association between consumption of seaweed (a rich source of iodine) and thyroid cancer in Japanese women."

*Links to sources in the statement in quotes are at the link.

How much iodine is too much? | Reuters

"Less is known about how much iodine is too much. So for the new study, reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Chinese researchers randomly assigned healthy adults to take various doses of iodine supplements for four weeks.

They found that at relatively higher doses -- 400 micrograms a day and up -- study participants began developing what's called subclinical hypothyroidism.

That refers to a dip in the body's thyroid hormone levels, but with no obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism -- which include problems like fatigue, depression, dry skin and weight gain.

In this study, people taking 400-microgram supplements were getting around 800 micrograms of iodine per day when diet was factored in."

No, Synthroid sales do not "FUND" medical schools. Perhaps you have a source for the "payoffs" you are so sure exist. Keep in mind that just one "payoff" can result in a $25,000 fine and five years in prison.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I know, all those doctors who see patients with hypothyrpoidism all day every working day could not possibly know more than anyone with a computer and Google can find out.

Iodine Deficiency - American Thyroid Association

"Taking too much iodine can also cause problems. This is especially true in individuals that already have thyroid problems, such as nodules, hyperthyroidism and autoimmune thyroid disease. Administration of large amounts of iodine through medications (ie Amiodarone), radiology procedures (iodinated intravenous dye) and dietary excess (Dulce, kelp) can cause or worsen hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
In addition, individuals who move from an iodine-deficient region (for example, parts of Europe) to a region with adequate iodine intake (for example, the United States) may also develop thyroid problems since their thyroids have become very good at taking up and using small amounts of iodine. In particular, these patients may develop iodine-induced hyperthyroidism."

Iodine: How Much is Too Much? | Paleo Leap

"In healthy people, iodine deficiency is clearly related to hypothyroid disorders, and adequate iodine intake is preventative. But too much of a good thing is not necessarily better. This study*, for example, found that iodine overnutrition also contributed to autoimmune thyroid disorders and hypothyroidism. And this study* found a positive association between consumption of seaweed (a rich source of iodine) and thyroid cancer in Japanese women."

*Links to sources in the statement in quotes are at the link.

How much iodine is too much? | Reuters

"Less is known about how much iodine is too much. So for the new study, reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Chinese researchers randomly assigned healthy adults to take various doses of iodine supplements for four weeks.

They found that at relatively higher doses -- 400 micrograms a day and up -- study participants began developing what's called subclinical hypothyroidism.

That refers to a dip in the body's thyroid hormone levels, but with no obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism -- which include problems like fatigue, depression, dry skin and weight gain.

In this study, people taking 400-microgram supplements were getting around 800 micrograms of iodine per day when diet was factored in."

No, Synthroid sales do not "FUND" medical schools. Perhaps you have a source for the "payoffs" you are so sure exist. Keep in mind that just one "payoff" can result in a $25,000 fine and five years in prison.
Oh Please, the conventional MD's don't go to nutrients, they go right for their prescription pads.

I saw enough doctors who gave me no help from 1991-2002...yes I'm relying more on Dr. Google more and more. And I'm not alone in this working on one's health.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-24-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-24-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Oh Please, the conventional MD's don't go to nutrients, they go right for their prescription pads.
You just keep right on pushing iodine. The facts obviously do not matter to you, including the fact that too much iodine can cause thyroid problems.

"Conventional MD's" do include nutrition in their treatment plans. Diet and exercise are the foundation for management of diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease for example. Again, you refuse to let the facts get in the way of your "beliefs".

DASH diet: Healthy eating to lower your blood pressure - Mayo Clinic

"DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. The DASH diet is a lifelong approach to healthy eating that's designed to help treat or prevent high blood pressure (hypertension). The DASH diet encourages you to reduce the sodium in your diet and eat a variety of foods rich in nutrients that help lower blood pressure, such as potassium, calcium and magnesium."

ADA Diabetes Guidelines Lifestyle Changes Diet Exercise | NDEI

"Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
The ADA acknowledges that there is no one-size-fits-all eating pattern for individuals with type 2 diabetes.

MNT is recommended for all individuals with type 1 and type 2 diabetes as part of an overall treatment plan, preferably provided by a registered dietitian skilled in diabetes MNT
Goals of MNT:
A healthful eating pattern to improve overall health, specifically:
Achievement and maintenance of weight goals
Attainment of individualized glycemic, blood pressure, and lipid goals
Type 2 diabetes prevention or delay"

https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...27_Article.jsp

"To lower cholesterol, the American Heart Association recommends eating a dietary pattern that emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, poultry, fish and nuts. You should also limit red meat and sugary foods and beverages. Many diets fit that pattern, including the DASH – short for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension – eating plan promoted by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and diets suggested by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the American Heart Association. The pattern can be easily adapted based on your cultural and food preferences."

Is your doctor going to spend an hour planning menus with you? No. That is not his job. If you cannot do it yourself, he will arrange a consultation with a nutritionist, though. Mine did suggest the American Heart Association Cookbook.

https://www.amazon.com/New-American-.../dp/0307587576

Note that some medical conditions need to be treated while the patient institutes lifestyle changes, because the effects of those do not happen overnight. A doctor is not going to tell someone with a stroke level blood pressure or a blood sugar that is though the roof to just diet and and exercise. He will treat the problem and modify the medication after the patient implements those lifestyle changes. It is up to the patient to do that, and many just will not.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
You just keep right on pushing iodine. The facts obviously do not matter to you, including the fact that too much iodine can cause thyroid problems.

"Conventional MD's" do include nutrition in their treatment plans. Diet and exercise are the foundation for management of diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease for example. Again, you refuse to let the facts get in the way of your "beliefs".

DASH diet: Healthy eating to lower your blood pressure - Mayo Clinic

"DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. The DASH diet is a lifelong approach to healthy eating that's designed to help treat or prevent high blood pressure (hypertension). The DASH diet encourages you to reduce the sodium in your diet and eat a variety of foods rich in nutrients that help lower blood pressure, such as potassium, calcium and magnesium."

ADA Diabetes Guidelines Lifestyle Changes Diet Exercise | NDEI

"Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
The ADA acknowledges that there is no one-size-fits-all eating pattern for individuals with type 2 diabetes.

MNT is recommended for all individuals with type 1 and type 2 diabetes as part of an overall treatment plan, preferably provided by a registered dietitian skilled in diabetes MNT
Goals of MNT:
A healthful eating pattern to improve overall health, specifically:
Achievement and maintenance of weight goals
Attainment of individualized glycemic, blood pressure, and lipid goals
Type 2 diabetes prevention or delay"

https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...27_Article.jsp

"To lower cholesterol, the American Heart Association recommends eating a dietary pattern that emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, poultry, fish and nuts. You should also limit red meat and sugary foods and beverages. Many diets fit that pattern, including the DASH – short for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension – eating plan promoted by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and diets suggested by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the American Heart Association. The pattern can be easily adapted based on your cultural and food preferences."

Is your doctor going to spend an hour planning menus with you? No. That is not his job. If you cannot do it yourself, he will arrange a consultation with a nutritionist, though. Mine did suggest the American Heart Association Cookbook.

https://www.amazon.com/New-American-.../dp/0307587576

Note that some medical conditions need to be treated while the patient institutes lifestyle changes, because the effects of those do not happen overnight. A doctor is not going to tell someone with a stroke level blood pressure or a blood sugar that is though the roof to just diet and and exercise. He will treat the problem and modify the medication after the patient implements those lifestyle changes. It is up to the patient to do that, and many just will not.
Why do you seem to hate the Iodine info so badly? There are miles and miles of articles and books etc etc on this valuable nutrient. I guess all who do their work on Iodine are all crazy.

Plenty of Closed Mind Disease alive and well.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-24-2016 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-24-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Why do you seem to hate the Iodine info so badly? There are miles and miles of articles and books etc etc on this valuable nutrient. I guess all who do their work on Iodine are all crazy.
I do not hate "iodine info". I hate iodine misinformation.

The "miles of articles and books" are worthless if they are full of pseudoscience.

Those who take iodine based on bad sources are indeed crazy to do so.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I do not hate "iodine info". I hate iodine misinformation.

The "miles of articles and books" are worthless if they are full of pseudoscience.

Those who take iodine based on bad sources are indeed crazy to do so.
It is NOT mis information....

Plenty of MD's who have gone out of the conventional medicine "Box" are preaching it.

I'm done, people can make their decisions...absolutely no sense in this back and forth arguing.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'll vouch for Lugols iodine for how it's helped with my 12 year old's Autism symptoms. I'm not familiar with the pathophysiology of Thyroid/Iodine, however.

When my son was diagnosed one of the requested tests was hair strand analysis for Heavy Metals. His results came back showing horrifically high levels of Aluminum. As I understand, iodine does help with the removal of metals from the body. The Lugols was reccomended by my mother; she is a PhD in Biochem & an RD.

It is not a "cure" but it did help minimize some of the more impairing problems that were occuring & with Autism; every little bit helps.

Sorry for going a bit off topic.
I just found this and thought of your comments here:

Is There a Link Between Iodine Deficiency and Autism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.