U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 12:51 AM

24,741 posts, read 29,719,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
When it comes to taking even the slightest possibility of ultra low risk to any component of my eyesight? No thanks. While the risks/complications may be low, they aren't worth it to me. Sight, and hearing for that matter, are far too precious to me to risk for vanity and/or minor convenience. Glasses and/or contacts for me, thanks.
Anecdotal, I know, but my eye surgeon told me the only patients he had with complications were those who did not follow post-op instructions.

Perhaps you do not wear glasses all the time. Those of us with permanent dents on the sides of our noses found getting rid of glasses more than a "minor convenience". I did wear contacts at one time but after a while I could no longer tolerate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 04:37 AM

506 posts, read 394,395 times
Interesting thread, thanks for posting.

I'm about to get Lasik myself so this is very informative. I'll be sure to post here after the fact to let you know.

From my personal experience I know 20-30 people who have had the procedure. 100% of them said it was the best thing they ever did and their only regret was they didn't do it sooner.
Slight cons mentioned have been: sensitive to sunlight, sensitive to being underwater, needing reading glasses, and follow-up appointment. All have said the benefit far outweigh the cons.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:50 AM

44,218 posts, read 54,501,634 times
My eye doctor won't do it for herself...

It doesn't last forever.

Dry eyes, night driving issues...no, thanks.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:14 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,819,569 times
I had terrible vision and thin corneas, so I wasn't a good candidate for Lasik. However, I did have the PRK procedure done. PRK requires a longer recovery and it takes a bit longer to reach 20/20 vision.

That was in February 2014. It didn't work. My vision improved for a couple of months but then regressed. It was incredibly disappointing. To be able to see clearly for a month, and then for my eyes to worsen again. Ugh. I did shed a tear or two over that. It's not as bad as before I had the procedure, but I still have to wear glasses all the time. And the cost was about $4000.

I ended up not liking the place that I chose to have it done. At the consultation, they neglected to tell me that I would likely need to have a follow-up procedure to get my eyes all the way to 20/20 - I had really bad vision. I didn't find that out until I met with the doctor about 5 minutes before the procedure, after they had swiped my card, I was mentally prepared to go through with it, and was excited to be able to see again. Having that information at the consultation may have affected my decision to go through with it.

I had dry eyes at night so I used a lubricating ointment for about a year. http://www.refreshbrand.com/Products/refresh-pm

Now, my husband had it done about 15-16 years ago and it worked perfectly (and for a lot of others as well). He feels like his vision has worsened some over the years but not enough to need glasses. He's never had a problem with dry eye either.

Consultations are usually free so get one from two or three different places. My mistake was getting just the one consultation and trusting them to provide all the information I needed to make the decision to move forward.

I see that you're in Spotsylvania, but it may be worth the drive to check out TLC Laser Eye Centers in Tysons. They're expensive but they're supposed to be really good. I hear that many athletes have had theirs done at TLC (I didn't have mine done there).

Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 AM

4,115 posts, read 2,767,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
gguerra's reason for not having lasik are all false.
Kind of a blanket statement don't you think? It is my opinion and this board is opinion based. How could my reasons be false? It's an opinion. I knew about monovision and I've had the same thing done (sort of) with contacts where I had one for near and one for distance. I could not stand it and could not get used to it and that was after several days. It's the same for many others. So I stand by my statement, they cannot correct for both near and distance on both eyes at the same time. IMO and for this reason it's stupid to spend thousands to get rid of glasses when you are not really getting rid of them.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:58 AM
46H

1,089 posts, read 671,931 times
I had it done 15 years ago. I am happy that I had it done. After about a year the dryness went away and I have enjoyed life without glasses until I recently needed readers. Other than the readers (due to aging), my eyes still work as I expected. While you will get many opinions here, you will get the best answers from a doctor. With your -7.0, you might not have a thick enough lens to completely get you to 20/20. Only a doctor can give you that information.

For me being able to participate in multiple sports without having to try to accommodate contacts and glasses has been liberating. I do not miss contacts drying out after only an hour or 2, spending fortunes on regular frames, sports frames, prescription sunglasses, worrying about having spares for driving, no need for bifocals, and just the usually accidental breakage of glasses.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:09 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,060,319 times
Something else to look at is PRK. I had that done about 3 years ago(more precisely the Marine Corps paid for me to have it) and its been great. It takes a bit more time to heal but you are less likely to have an issue in the long run.

With Lasik you have the slight possibility of being hit in the face and having the slice in the cornea open back up. Its rare but it can happen. The benefit of Lasik is that the healing time is very good. Some people can be back at work that afternoon or the next day.

With PRK there is no slicing of the cornea but the outer layer of the cornea is removed to expose an area for a laser to reshape. The healing time is a bit more. I was off for about 10 days but was able to see fine after about 3 days. Supposedly you aren't fully, fully healed for nearly a year but I didn't have any issues except for light sensitivity for a few months. You don't have to worry about the flap from the Lasik surgery opening back up since there is no slice.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:24 AM

17,076 posts, read 13,789,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My eye doctor won't do it for herself...

It doesn't last forever.

Dry eyes, night driving issues...no, thanks.
10 years and still awesome.

I don't have dry eyes, no night driving issues. When I still had glasses, I had horrible night vision.

100% convinced I did the right thing. Should have done it much sooner.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:29 AM

17,076 posts, read 13,789,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post

I am 41 years of age now, I am extremely near sighted at -7.00.

I am wondering what the purpose of Lasik is though. I sometimes hear about people needing to use reading glasses after the fact. Seems like I'd never get away from glasses and if that is the case I am just wondering what the point is at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Reading glasses will be due to age some time later in your life, if at all. But you are going from -7.00 ALL DAY LONG to +1.00 ONLY FOR READING which is a HUGE difference.

Just imagine waking up in the mornings and you can see your feet clearly without looking for your glasses first. Imagine playing sports without having to worry about glasses/contacts falling off/out.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,193,166 times
Great posts. Reading all of the comments. One thing to note is that I WANT opinions. Thanks for the links, and I will go through them but I like hearing the pros and cons from the community.

Reading through this I was heading towards not taking a risk with this....but I am about to book an eye appointment and I am thinking about how nice it would be to not have to interact with the sales pressure from an optometrist's sales office ever again. Oh get this coating that coating, you don't want coke bottles do you? No, no, no, is easy for some and it is easy for me too...but there is some stress associated with it.

It's kind of like walking into a used car dealership every year.

Last edited by va_lucky; 10-19-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness