U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:35 PM

240 posts, read 272,841 times

Advertisements

WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE 50 ! Your eyes are changing due to Presbyopia. Also, I never heard of anyone
getting "touchups" every few years.

It is definitely one of the best things I've ever spent my money on. I did monovision (one eye for reading, dominant eye for distance ), you may want to consider having Lasik on only eye. My last bit of advice is to go to a reputable eye hospital who will tell you the truth if you're a good candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 05:38 AM

53 posts, read 43,369 times
I had lasik 8 years ago, i was at -7 and since then my eyesight has gone down to about -0,3. Still better than it used to be, so I don't regret

Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 AM

15,886 posts, read 9,261,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Touchups are not needed by everyone, and certainly not every year or two. Most do not need them at all. Once the cornea is reshaped, the change is permanent.

My younger son had Lasik and is very pleased with it.

His brother has not - because he likes the way he looks in glasses!
I never had a touch-up. I was 20/20 the same day as the procedure. I was a -4.00 in both eyes when I had the procedure done way back in 2000. I also had a severe muscle imbalance in both eyes for which I had a separate eye muscle surgery. LASIK did not affect that condition in any way.

In my experience with patients, most of them do not need touch-ups. Wavefront technology, keratometry measurements, and corneal topography measurments offer the surgeon very accurate figures regarding number of laser pulses and flap creation. They have little pain afterwards. For me, it just felt like I swam underwater with my eyes open too long.

One caveat: If you choose to have it done, please do not choose a cheap surgeon who is hawking their surgery for $500 or even $399/eye. I worked for one of those "chop shops" for about 5 seconds and I wouldn't trust them to even look at my eyes under the slit lamp, much less perform LASIK. They are very rushed with patients and do not spend the time that is necessary to get a quality result because they have to make their profits somehow. A doc who advertises performing 20,000 procedures is worrisome, not attractive in my book. You don't want to go cheap on surgery or tattoos. As other have said, it's your vision we're talking about. Do your research to make sure you choose a doctor who will get it right the first time.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:04 AM

11,081 posts, read 4,344,618 times
My husband had it done 15 years ago and he has not needed it redone since. He had fantastic results and said it was the best money he ever spent! I think a lot of insurance companies actually pay for it now. In regards to still needing glasses to read or needing it redone, it all depends on the individual!

Old 10-20-2016, 11:24 AM

24,749 posts, read 29,727,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Do your research to make sure you choose a doctor who will get it right the first time.
I chose a surgeon who had done Lasik for a well known major league baseball player!

Old 10-20-2016, 12:37 PM

1,094 posts, read 729,089 times
I did it a year ago...and very Happy.
I do have some dry eye now and then, but not really an issue.
I love waking up and being able to see clock, tv, etc with no glasses.
I appreciate travelling more now too....I would have or could have been in real trouble if I ever lost my glasses.

Can you drive without glasses? How about at night.
Could you find your car in the parking lot without them?

Lasik solves this.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:20 PM

5,589 posts, read 3,568,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
I am considering Lasik to save money in the long run and reduce the annoying visits to the eye doctor every year if possible and needing to purchase contact lenses and glasses independently.

I am 41 years of age now, I am extremely near sighted at -7.00.

I am wondering what the purpose of Lasik is though. I sometimes hear about people needing to use reading glasses after the fact. Seems like I'd never get away from glasses and if that is the case I am just wondering what the point is at all.

I believe that you need to go to the doctor for touchup visits every few years and I don't plan in staying in the USA forever.....figure I will eventually move to the UK (Scotland).

I plan to move abroad at some point and assume that I'd have to pay for plane tickets to come back every few years? That seems kind of a pain in the neck to say the least. Alternatively I'd have to pay the doctor out there for touchups instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Knew a guy who was 80? and he went under it to get away from using glasses....He went through it and came out just happy and now able to not use glasses anymore.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:29 PM

54,450 posts, read 43,503,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
I am considering Lasik to save money in the long run and reduce the annoying visits to the eye doctor every year if possible and needing to purchase contact lenses and glasses independently.

I am 41 years of age now, I am extremely near sighted at -7.00.

I am wondering what the purpose of Lasik is though. I sometimes hear about people needing to use reading glasses after the fact. Seems like I'd never get away from glasses and if that is the case I am just wondering what the point is at all.

I believe that you need to go to the doctor for touchup visits every few years and I don't plan in staying in the USA forever.....figure I will eventually move to the UK (Scotland).

I plan to move abroad at some point and assume that I'd have to pay for plane tickets to come back every few years? That seems kind of a pain in the neck to say the least. Alternatively I'd have to pay the doctor out there for touchups instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
You can get the type of eye procedure done that designs one eye for reading and the other for far-sighted and after 3-6 months the brain balances it out for you....and then you don't need reading glasses.

I'm a little older than you and my vision was almost as bad and now I'm better than 20/20 and won't be needing reading glasses either.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:13 PM

54,450 posts, read 43,503,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I chose a surgeon who had done Lasik for a well known major league baseball player!
Yeah, no cut-rate lasik!

The guy that did mine is basically a pioneer in the field.

However, I got the advanced version where I see far and near and it cost under 5k.

I used pre-tax FSA\HSA money so that cut the net bill down quite a bit.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:31 PM

5,609 posts, read 3,010,527 times
If I could afford it, I'd have Lasik in a heartbeat. I'm not sure I'd qualify for the surgery, though. My eyes change throughout the day and my night vision is getting very poor. Glasses don't get me even close to 20/20 anymore. Neon lights in most department and grocery stores make my vision blur within a few minutes of being in them. Without glasses, I can focus on tiny print to within an inch of my nose (the only good thing). And I have astigmatisms in both eyes. But if I was given the go-ahead, I'd have my eyes done just like that. Unless you're totally blind without your glasses, like I am, you have no idea how much a chance at seeing like normal people can mean to someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness