Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 11:54 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,015,042 times

Advertisements

You will eventually need reading glasses no matter what you do. So that's not really a factor. It just happens as you age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 12:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,321,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
10 years and still awesome.

I don't have dry eyes, no night driving issues. When I still had glasses, I had horrible night vision.

100% convinced I did the right thing. Should have done it much sooner.
You were lucky.
Some people have your results.
Some don't.
It's impossible to predict.
And since you only get one pair of eyes and no guarantee, I don't think it's worth it.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:24 PM

20,747 posts, read 19,943,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You were lucky.
Some people have your results.
Some don't.
It's impossible to predict.
And since you only get one pair of eyes and no guarantee, I don't think it's worth it.
Of course there is a risk ...

there was this very public story by Kathy Griffin:

Kathy Griffin's Lasik nightmare left her reeling | IrishCentral.com
When Griffin went for Lasik surgery in 2003 the procedures left her more and more shaken. Griffin underwent a total of five operations performed by Doctor Robert Maloney in Los Angles, correcting what she called mounting errors, until she was eventually left partially blind in her right eye.

On her website, Griffin states: 'I will not be going to him again.'

Griffin's final procedure lasted 90 minutes and she endured 17 stitches in her eye for three weeks. That's why nowadays she urges anyone considering getting Lasik surgery to look at her experience and think again.

On her website Griffin wrote: 'As of now, I’m not in pain anymore, but my vision in my right eye is extremely blurry. It can’t be improved with glasses or contacts."

Apparently the procedure is not without risks. No one forced Kathy to do it of course, but in the get-it-taken-care-of-quick society we live it its as well to remember there are real risks attached.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:29 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,252 times
I wouldn't do it in a million years. Contacts are too easy, and glasses the same.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:38 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,720,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I wouldn't do it in a million years. Contacts are too easy, and glasses the same.
I agree today there are so many elective SURGERIES...there are so many good looking frames for the glasses. I tried contacts mega years ago and couldn't work with them so quit that...I take enough eye support supplements that do help me.

I didn't know about Kathy G's story. Yikes...

Old 10-19-2016, 12:51 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,138,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
I am 41 years of age now, I am extremely near sighted at -7.00.

I am wondering what the purpose of Lasik is though. I sometimes hear about people needing to use reading glasses after the fact. Seems like I'd never get away from glasses and if that is the case I am just wondering what the point is at all.

I believe that you need to go to the doctor for touchup visits every few years and I don't plan in staying in the USA forever.....figure I will eventually move to the UK (Scotland).

I plan to move abroad at some point and assume that I'd have to pay for plane tickets to come back every few years? That seems kind of a pain in the neck to say the least. Alternatively I'd have to pay the doctor out there for touchups instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Vote: Against.

Quick background on me: lifelong myope, R: -1.75, L: -3.75. Healthy-everything.

When I was 42 I researched this very thoroughly indeed, with exams by two of the "best" doctors here in greater Seattle. I'm a good candidate, though with slightly thin corneas (a warning sign, for me). One of the surgeons is a Harvard grad and wrote the book on cornea surgery, from what I researched.

End of the day, though, I figured: my vision is better than 20-20 with glasses. I've been wearing glasses my whole life and it isn't that big of a problem, there are few or no situations where they've been a major inconvenience. I have activities glasses made for the military that are sand proof, everything-proof other than small arms fire . My prescription is pretty stable, too. So...why take the risk?

Second, at that age (close to yours) age-related nearsightedness is on the way. With LASIK, I'd be trading one pair glasses for another essentially immediately. Sure enough, six years later, I merely flip up my existing glasses for close-in work, I won't need true reading glasses or bifocals for years yet, but it's surely coming. My near vision has gotten worse in my 40s, true for just about every other person on Earth. You won't be the exception.

I wrote a long essay to myself and others on the above, will reprint if further "commentary" is needed. The risk analysis simply didn't add up, in my case. I canceled the procedure at only T-minus 8 days, I was that close.

Note: of course, I could be wrong. I could be fine, years later. Most people are, btw. It's a tough choice, I must say. My opinion is, if you're feeling what I call 'Spidey Sense' that this is wrong *for you*, it probably is.

If you have to have "touch ups" every few years, that's more and more cornea surgery, more and more LASIK flaps, more and more risk of complications. Not a chance, kiss your cornea nerves goodbye which causes additional complications (dry eyes).

I buy a new pair of glasses every year or two, just for style because men's styles do change. They look great on me, women find me attractive and non-threatening. And, intellectual. They are truly a fashion accessory, in my case, since I've embraced the look.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:56 PM

37,086 posts, read 41,213,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

If you have to have "touch ups" every few years, that's more and more cornea surgery, more and more LASIK flaps, more and more risk of complications. Not a chance, kiss your cornea nerves goodbye which causes additional complications (dry eyes).

I buy a new pair of glasses every year or two, just for style because men's styles do change. They look great on me, women find me attractive and non-threatening. And, intellectual. They are truly a fashion accessory, in my case, since I've embraced the look.
Touchups are not needed by everyone, and certainly not every year or two. Most do not need them at all. Once the cornea is reshaped, the change is permanent.

My younger son had Lasik and is very pleased with it.

His brother has not - because he likes the way he looks in glasses!

Old 10-19-2016, 04:25 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,162,724 times
I know some people who have had problems after LASIK, and others who think it is the best thing that ever happened to them.
I recommend you go to a well-established opthamologist for evaluation. Ask them how many people they turn away for surgery. If they say 'none' or almost no one' that is a red flag. Many people are not good candidates.
I went to a doctor who did a full evaluation, and then said she did not think it was a good idea for me. She laid out the pros and cons of the procedure. I now refer many people to her.
I am amazed that people go to a 'strip mall' kind of place for this, but I know many do, and some have good results. I just would not risk anything when it comes to my vision.
I have also noticed that many eye doctors wear glasses. It does not necessarily mean much--maybe they like glasses--but for me it reinforces that there are many people who are not good candidates for vision correction surgery.
Good luck.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:36 PM

93 posts, read 95,884 times
I did it a few years ago. I have no regrets. I'd been wearing glasses or contacts for more than 20 years.

4 years later and my distance is still great. I need reading glasses but that's normal and something I expected. LASIK can't fix old and I spend all day on a computer. I get terrible headaches without my glasses but I only need them at work.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:08 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,980,722 times
Expanding on my previous post...I wore glasses for 30 years and was fine with them, but what pushed over the line to get the lasik done was that at 44 I had reached the point of needing either bifocals or two different sets of glasses, and wanted no part of that. Now that I'm 56 I ended up with gradiated lenses and although they work ok, I don't like them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness