U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:48 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,193,166 times

Advertisements

I am considering Lasik to save money in the long run and reduce the annoying visits to the eye doctor every year if possible and needing to purchase contact lenses and glasses independently.

I am 41 years of age now, I am extremely near sighted at -7.00.

I am wondering what the purpose of Lasik is though. I sometimes hear about people needing to use reading glasses after the fact. Seems like I'd never get away from glasses and if that is the case I am just wondering what the point is at all.

I believe that you need to go to the doctor for touchup visits every few years and I don't plan in staying in the USA forever.....figure I will eventually move to the UK (Scotland).

I plan to move abroad at some point and assume that I'd have to pay for plane tickets to come back every few years? That seems kind of a pain in the neck to say the least. Alternatively I'd have to pay the doctor out there for touchups instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 02:11 PM

26,130 posts, read 9,663,417 times
I have a friend who's husband did Lasik when it first entered the market. Thinking back over the years, she complained a lot about what he's gone thru. I know of no one else who has done this work. I'm 78 and more near farsighted and have a lazy eye all my life, but take supplements for eye health/support and I'm doing good and no eye surgeries. I wear the same lenses for over 7 yrs now and believe my eye supports save me. I wear reading glasses and lenses for tv and when I went to movie theatres. And for driving. Hopefully you'll hear from others.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:14 PM

4,115 posts, read 2,767,779 times
I've never got LASIK because...

1. It doesn't last forever. I think average is about 10 years?
2. They can't correct for both near and far, you have to find a compromise. They may have made improvements in this area but when I went to get evaluated for LASIK a few years ago I was told that.
3. It's not cheap and costs a lot more than many exams and pairs of glasses or contacts and because of reason No. 2, decided it was not worth it for me. Imagine paying for LASIK and still needing reading glasses.

I am nearsighted but not severely, so I wear contacts. When I wear contacts, I need reading glasses (Age 53). Recently, I had my prescription adjusted to be less powerful. Most eye doctors (mine included) always give you a prescription so that you can see really well, really far away. I do not need to see a mile away. As long as I can drive safely and watch TV without squinting I am fine. This allows me to rely less on reading glasses. I only need them for really close up work now and am much happier.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:25 PM

35,268 posts, read 43,135,307 times
A good read on the differences between Lasik surgery and cataract surgery=
https://www.lasikworld.com/lasik-cat...ifference.html
Personally i wore glasses for distance for most of 68 years, it was never a problem until i had cataract surgery a few years ago now i dont need glasses for distance but now need glasses for reading,can get inconvenient if you go some place like a restaurant and need to read the menu but have forgotten your reading glasses.

Last edited by jambo101; 10-18-2016 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-18-2016, 02:51 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,193,166 times
Really neat posts all. Some of the posts remind me that I am starting to get farsighted. Things get all blurry when I look at the exhaust pipes under cars etc.

Hmmm....

Old 10-18-2016, 02:59 PM

12,930 posts, read 7,958,581 times
I got mine four years ago, at the age of 63 and after wearing "coke bottles" for 61 of those 63 years; the procedure was short and painless. and I had no real problems in the four weeks when only one eye had been corrected.

I still have to wear glasses or reading, and will have a few problems with fine print in any case (a "pocket magnifier" can address that), but have no interest in "prescription" reading glasses. And it's much appreciated that I no longer have to wear glasses in order to drive.They're somewhat flimsy, but $3-$5 readers are a better deal than new prescription glasses on a regular basis. I consider Lasix one of the best choices I ever made.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:09 PM

5,534 posts, read 6,379,618 times
I had LASIK done about 12 years ago (at 44) and generally was very happy with it. It lasted about 10 years before I needed to start wearing glasses again. I could have possibly gone back to my original doctor and had it re-done (I paid for lifetime adjustments, stupid me) but I now live on the other side of the country.

The only issue I had with it was that my eyes are more sensitive to sunlight than they were before the surgery. When I had mine done, the doctor did something called "monovision" where he adjusted one eye for near viewing and one eye for far viewing. It takes a couple of days for your brain to adjust to this, and I heard that some people don't tolerate that well, but for me it was fine and I was 100% glasses-free for almost 10 years. I have heard they no longer do monovision, but I don't know if that's accurate.

My only regret was that I did not get it done sooner.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:26 PM

3,512 posts, read 3,425,452 times
I had LASIK done when we lived in the NoVa area. It was a place in Reston. I had it done in Feb of 2002. I had to get glasses in 2011. My sister had LASIK done in 2007/8 and so far so good. I know another lady that had it done in her 40's and that was probably almost 20 years ago. She does need reading glasses now but not all the time.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:34 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,372,612 times
I wouldnt recommend it , eye surgery should never be done if it's just for cosmetic reasons , if your not blind, just keep on wearing prescription glasses.

like people already said, LASIK is not a one time thing, your eyes will eventually change and you will be back in glasses

touch up surgery? the eyes are too delicate, there wont be anything left to work with if you keep getting more surgery or touch ups? too risky

dont forget to also read the horror stories or LASIK GONE WRONG, it's not always a success, remember you only have one set of eyes and they are not replaceable.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:42 PM

17,075 posts, read 13,789,178 times
I had Lasik done 10 years ago, when I was 30. I was at -5 and even with glasses, my vision was not great.

Best decision ever. I paid alot, I think it was a total of $6k but it was so worth it.

You wake up in the morning and can SEE. You can take a nap spontaneously. No more losing/damaging glasses and contacts. I have never seen so well in my whole life. My eyes are less sensitive overall but that might be a coincidence. I have hated my bad vision and glasses all my life.

Since 2 years I need reading glasses, +1. So what. They cannot do anything against that old-people-nearsidedness. But I dont mind. Still better than -5!!!

I had one touchup within 3 months on one eye. I dont think that is the norm to have touchups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness