Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 05:04 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had this procedure done (in a nutshell, it's shaving down the top joint of the great toe, removing arthritis and drilling some holes to try to get cartilage to regenerate). I'm a wimp when it comes to painful things, LOL - I'm also concerned because: I live alone, this will be my right foot which will be in a boot thing - no driving for 4 weeks or so - I'm also having home remodeling done which starts Thurs. and they give a 75 day timeline (due to the loan circumstances, this can't be changed).

Appreciate any info. from someone who has gone through this - TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 05:08 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Has anyone had this procedure done (in a nutshell, it's shaving down the top joint of the great toe, removing arthritis and drilling some holes to try to get cartilage to regenerate). I'm a wimp when it comes to painful things, LOL - I'm also concerned because: I live alone, this will be my right foot which will be in a boot thing - no driving for 4 weeks or so - I'm also having home remodeling done which starts Thurs. and they give a 75 day timeline (due to the loan circumstances, this can't be changed).

Appreciate any info. from someone who has gone through this - TIA
I know nothing about this but will send a DM with what could work, but no guarantees to anything and so much can be so invasive.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:40 PM

Thanks jamin but you're thing won't work - I have a bone in my foot that's too high and it's jammed against the joint, so bone on bone.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
That sounds so painful, Flamingo. But it does sound like you need the surgery and not some alternatives from people trying to push their agenda.

I had surgery on my right foot 5 years ago: fusion of all the lisfranc (mid-foot) joints. All the joints were fused into one single mass of bone. I was non-weight bearing for almost 6 months. I had to farm out my dear dog with a relative and used a transport service for followup appointments with the surgeon.

I ordered a lot of canned/boxed food from Amazon in advance. I also ordered from places like Pizza Hut during the recovery. A neighbor also brought over meals regularly and brought my mail in every day -- if I hadnt had her help, I'd have contacted a service like Meals on Wheels to help out.

I bought a wheelchair to get around in the house. It's much easier to deal with a wheelchair than crutches or a trike.

I also bought a couple of inexpensive walkers, one with wheels and one without. My wheelchair was too wide to get through my bathroom door so I kept one walker inside the bathroom, right by the door -- I'd wheel up to the bathroom door and then transfer to the walker.

(I could have rented the wheelchair and the walkers, as well as a lot of other equipment -- but I chose to buy because the surgeon warned me that I'd need the same surgery on my left foot eventually.)

I couldnt bathe for the first couple of weeks. I used the kitchen sink to hand-bathe and wash my hair -- I'd wheel up to the sink and then put my non-weight bearing foot up on a bench so I could stand while washing.

When I could finally shower, I used a transfer seat to sit on. I also used a special heavy-duty cast cover that prevented the surgical area from getting wet when I showered. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Curad-Cast-Pr...+after+surgery

I bought a portable potty and kept it right by my bed for the 1-2 weeks right after the surgery, when I couldnt even use the wheelchair much. I wont go into how I emptied/cleaned it -- if you need to know you can DM me.

I also bought a wedge pillow to keep my foot raised when I was in bed. That helped greatly with the discomfort.

Most importantly, I did a lot of advance reading about what people did when recovering from foot surgery and got a lot of good advice from forums where people had posted. I cant recall exactly what I googled but it was something like "recovering from foot surgery".

Do you have to have the surgery before the home remodeling? I'd try to postpone the surgery until after the remodeling has been completed if I were you, if you're not in unbearable pain right now. Maybe the surgeon can give you some painkillers to get you through the 75 days of remodeling.

I'll be praying for you.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:27 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
I asked my husband, who's an Orthopedic Foot and Ankle surgeon, if he did this procedure and his response was "Yeah" and when I asked how the outcomes were, he said "Depends".

So, with that vague answer (because that's all a non clinician like myself should be providing by proxy on an internet forum), I think TFW46's response above is probably one of the most comprehensive and realistic answers I've seen on this forum about the realities of how having a surgical procedure can affect your quality of life, even in a case of a comparatively minor elective surgery on an extremity like you're considering.

I think many people really, really underestimate the recovery time and impact it will have on all activities of daily living. I know many people forgo having surgery for months (if not altogether) after they consider the issues surrounding recovery. Of course, only you can answer that question for yourself.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:33 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
One other important thing I forgot to mention, Flamingo...before my surgery I bought a TV set for my bedroom. I love to read but couldnt see myself reading that much when I knew I was going to be bedbound for the greater part of 6 months. I dont know how long the recovery time is for your surgery, but you could rent a TV if you dont have one in the bedroom and dont want to buy one. Even if you dont think you'll miss TV, you may find out differently once you're bedbound.

Again, please google something like "foot surgery recovery" or "chilectomy recovery" to find forums in which people discuss their recoveries. I learned so much from their posts, things that would never have occurred to me.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:56 AM

Thanks TFW and Texas Ag.

Texas Ag - I talked to the Dr. yesterday (had to have a toenail removed on the other foot - my feet are a mess, LOL) - I'd come across some blogs on the procedures and that were all pretty much as you husband said: some said no pain after, some pain for a few days, some terrible pain, some had swelling, etc. - all were diff. and my Dr. agreed - It Depends.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:47 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I bought a wheelchair to get around in the house. It's much easier to deal with a wheelchair than crutches or a trike.
I saw a neat gizmo recently- someone had a foot in a cast, and instead of using crutches, had an artificial leg/foot strapped to the [bent] knee. She was moving along right quickly, walking at a fast pace almost as well as anyone else.

It was clearly good for getting around outside, but I can see where care would have to be used in the house (so as not to whack the foot on walls, etc.)

I had to have toe bones fused back when I was in the Army, it wasn't bad (compared to the pain of a year of walking on it after cramming my crooked toes into a combat boot). The worst part was the stainless steel sticking out the end, it took a couple of days of practicing with crutches to stop banging against things. Gave up the crutches after a while, it was easier to just walk on my heel until the rods were removed.

I didn't have a cast boot, just something like a wooden-soled sandal with a canvas upper, that left the toes exposed.

ETA: FWIW, you *can* learn to drive with your left foot if you have an automatic transmission, well, *I* did, after breaking an ankle...which was when my wife (then GF) learned to drive a stick- we had to trade cars because my Mustang had a four-on-the-floor.

Last edited by Zymer; 10-19-2016 at 09:56 AM..

Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thanks jamin but you're thing won't work - I have a bone in my foot that's too high and it's jammed against the joint, so bone on bone.
Will you have home visits to check on you? Do you have meals on wheels available? It might be a good thing to check on prescription and grocery delivery available to you.

What happens if the workman need something? Do you predict any trouble with the construction company....are you familiar with their reliability?

It sure isn't an ideal situation. Any family or neighbors that can check on you daily, at least at first.

I hope things go well for you.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I saw a neat gizmo recently- someone had a foot in a cast, and instead of using crutches, had an artificial leg/foot strapped to the [bent] knee. She was moving along right quickly, walking at a fast pace almost as well as anyone else.

It was clearly good for getting around outside, but I can see where care would have to be used in the house (so as not to whack the foot on walls, etc.)

I had to have toe bones fused back when I was in the Army, it wasn't bad (compared to the pain of a year of walking on it after cramming my crooked toes into a combat boot). The worst part was the stainless steel sticking out the end, it took a couple of days of practicing with crutches to stop banging against things. Gave up the crutches after a while, it was easier to just walk on my heel until the rods were removed.

I didn't have a cast boot, just something like a wooden-soled sandal with a canvas upper, that left the toes exposed.

ETA: FWIW, you *can* learn to drive with your left foot if you have an automatic transmission, well, *I* did, after breaking an ankle...which was when my wife (then GF) learned to drive a stick- we had to trade cars because my Mustang had a four-on-the-floor.
Since I will have to have follow-up visits I spoke to the Dr. about driving anyway - I said I could use my left foot to brake (I hope) - she couldn't say no of course but she said "she didn't recommend it" - I'm sure to cover herself legally.

I hope you're all good as new now! I had my left foot in a cast prob. 30 yrs. ago, so used crutches - I also had two roommates to take care of me and a co-worker who carried me up the steps to to the office (we were on the upper level of a townhouse office).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness