Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Supplements can also have side effects... increased cancer risk, hypertension, increased risk of heart attack, birth defects, vomiting, liver damage, and increased heavy metals in the body to name a few.
Yes they can but so FAR LESS than the pharma toxic drugs. I'm not going into this again, I've been there before. I don't know of any supps than cause neuropathy and know plenty from another group who are so challenged with neuropathy from their drugs, a friend too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
So you had a history of ulcer disease from an "anti inflammatory" and yet you continued to take ibuprofen for years???

Did you not know ibuprofen is an NSAID that can cause ulcers??

And you only JUST found out ibuprofen can elevate blood pressure, even though that information is readily available on package inserts??

For someone who presents themself as a "health expert" on these forums you don't research what you put into your body much do you???

And don't go blaming MD's for this one, ibuprofen is over the counter, YOU have a responsibility to do that research..

By the way ALL medications including thyroid replacement can have adverse effects.....just because YOU currently aren't having any doesn't mean you won't at some point or that others won't

If any of the following symptoms occur while taking thyroid desiccated, get emergency help immediately:

Changes in appetite
changes in menstrual periods
chest pain
diarrhea
fast or irregular heartbeat
fever
hand tremors
headache
irritability
leg cramps
nervousness
sensitivity to heat
shortness of breath
sweating
trouble sleeping
vomiting
weight loss

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/thyroid-de...e-effects.html

So if you develop any of these side effects will that "push you away from non desiccated thyroid"

Or like most people will you continue to weigh the risks and benefits and decide if the medication is worth the risk...

You demonize ibuprofen because you had an adverse effect....for many people it is a life saver and they don't have adverse effects..
I've been taking DGL to protect stomach from the ulcer damage...if anyone cares to check it out, there is a lot of info on this stomach protector.

Ibuprofen was helping me too, but keeping BP elevated...wonder how many don't know this and deal with HBP. There is a statement too, more pain meds cause more pain, about the pain receptors.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:28 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
Quote:
Like drugs, dietary supplements have risks and side effects. But sellers aren’t required to do research studies in people to prove that a dietary supplement is safe. And unlike drugs, dietary supplements are mostly self-prescribed with no input from informed medical sources like doctors, nurses, or pharmacists.

From Risks and side effects of dietary supplements

but I'm sure many will brush off this information as "bought and paid for by big pharma"

Old 10-28-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Can anyone produce:

1. A drug with ZERO adverse effects. That includes damage to internal organs, so no there aren't any drugs without adverse effects.

2. A drug with additional POSITIVE effects. Anyone? Anyone?
I have asked this question for a long time and science like people talk about the molecule this and that etc etc...I just can't buy into the fact that drugs cannot be produced that will not do HARM. Take statins, and I don't have numbers but so many deal with all the side effects from that drug. Then they take other drugs like gabapentin to help with nerve damage...a vicious cycle of drugs. Then some finally get off all or most drugs and turn to less harmful supports. Even on gabapentin a friend said she was never out of pain, only somewhat...now off gaba she is somewhat better to handle her pain.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:01 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes they can but so FAR LESS than the pharma toxic drugs. I'm not going into this again, I've been there before. I don't know of any supps than cause neuropathy and know plenty from another group who are so challenged with neuropathy from their drugs, a friend too.
I have been having neurological symptoms, and a blood test showed I have toxic levels of vitamin B-6. My multivitamin contains 75 mg of B-6, but this is below the upper limit of 100 mg per day. Could my vitamin contain more than it lists? Answered by

Old 10-28-2016, 12:21 PM

I have heard this from enough people on the neuropathy group I sometimes visit. They need to back down and they do. I take the P5P form of B6 most days for the crazy femoral nerve damage from HIP MESS.

It takes research and a lot of work for so many living with pain and getting so little help from the drugs they take and end up with more side effects, many so they work on themselves and sometimes take too much of a B like B6. It's hit and miss, just like the pharma drugs..

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-28-2016 at 12:30 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 04:26 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You don't hear about them because they are few and far between and because the drugs are not supposed to be used that way. There is no scientific review or clinical trials for using a drug off label. People who allow that are usually the ones screaming for trials and peer reviewed scientific evidence which is why they dismiss supplements --- which rarely of ever kill anyone, and properly prescribed, properly taken. FDA-approved prescription drug kill 100,000 people ANNUALLY. But you're OK with doctors using drugs in a manner in which they have NEVER been tested, vetted or FDA approved? Um OK. Makes sense.

And I am talking about the adverse effects. That laundry list of CRAP at the end of every drug ad. Where all negative and harmful effects are listed to warn you about what you are doing to your body.

Again: Why aren't adverse effects helpful instead of harmful?
Do you understand the definition of "adverse"???

Apparently not....

As for the "helpful" effects....ummm how about what the drugs are PRESCRIBED for....

And yes there are "beneficial" side effects that aren't publicized because why would they be???

One common example, ace inhibitors are prescribed for hypertension and are very effective in lowering blood pressure, they are also renal protective as a class which can be beneficial for many folks particularly diabetics...

This is common knowledge among PCPs and cardiologists...

Old 10-28-2016, 05:30 PM

I honestly WISH I had a drug that I've taken with great/good results. The one that was helping my back issues back in the 80's had me feeling so good, then bam in the ER with a stomach ulcer.

I know BP meds cause fatigue and I take a couple and work with other stuff to help with fatigue.

I don't know of any side effects with NDT, none that I can relate to that is for sure.

There was a point after hip replacement and I was more of a mess than I am now, if that's possible that I considered Celebrex, but for starters the cost was prohibitive and even the generic I found was out of sight price wise. So here are common and less common side effects I could have looked for:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-16...st-sideeffects

Oh another celebrated list:

http://www.rxlist.com/celebrex-side-...rug-center.htm

At least unlike some who attack and work so hard to discredit alternatives, I am more open to a pharma drug IF no side effects and I could afford. The price is high and one gets an added benefit: negative side effects.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-28-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 06:16 PM

14,947 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't know about that. There have been any number of sources cautioning against the assumptions that because a substance is labeled as "natural", and is available over the counter, it's safe to use in any way a consumer sees fit.

Are Dietary Supplements Dangerous? - Consumer Reports

Old 10-28-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know about that. There have been any number of sources cautioning against the assumptions that because a substance is labeled as "natural", and is available over the counter, it's safe to use in any way a consumer sees fit.

Are Dietary Supplements Dangerous? - Consumer Reports
Oh I've heard this mantra from the pharma group so much. 25+ yrs of supplements and no trips to the ER etc etc etc and no life support from drugs as my daughter was on some yrs back from drug interactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness