Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 03:29 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

If you have to fast for 12 hrs. before surgery but your surgery (not MAJOR surgery, it'll be the "twilight" and nerve block on my foot) isn't scheduled until 12:30 p.m. - would you make a point of eating something close to the "stop eating" time? - I'm asking because: health issues, ongoing contractor work at house making me get up super early, etc. have me actually going to bed by 9 p.m. or so because I am pooped (I really need to lay down in the afternoon as a rule but I can't now - I already have sleeping/insomnia issues but I'm thinking about setting alarm for 11:00 p.m. or so to maybe have a bowl of cereal or something to tide me over.

Sorry this is so long but some points to make are: w/the time change, I'll likely have dinner around 6-ish at the latest, and I don't eat anything after - I'll be starving by the next afternoon (and before anyone snickers, I'm not a large person, little over 100 lbs. and don't have any eating disorders or anything but I know stomach will be growling and it's pretty likely I won't be up for eating after), I also have issues w/excess stomach acid/possible gastritis according to Dr.

Appreciate any opinions (except the "take these supplements".....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 03:42 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
No problems with doing what you are planning at all. I do suspect that you will be ready to eat soon after the procedure, though. The "twilight sleep" drugs used now wear off quickly.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:20 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Thanks! (couldn't rep you again) - MANY yrs. ago, I had a laparoscopy and a neighbor friend (she was a nurse) came by to see how I was - she made me some scrambled eggs (which I need to put ketchup on, LOL) - didn't agree w/me - right after though I wasn't at all nauseous (they were surprised) and they gave me ginger ale, no problems. Of course, I was 30 yrs. younger then.

I'm maybe over-thinking (and being a scaredy cat).

Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thanks! (couldn't rep you again) - MANY yrs. ago, I had a laparoscopy and a neighbor friend (she was a nurse) came by to see how I was - she made me some scrambled eggs (which I need to put ketchup on, LOL) - didn't agree w/me - right after though I wasn't at all nauseous (they were surprised) and they gave me ginger ale, no problems. Of course, I was 30 yrs. younger then.

I'm maybe over-thinking (and being a scaredy cat).
You're welcome!

Hope the procedure goes well and you have an uneventful recovery!

Old 11-09-2016, 06:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Assuming you have to be at the surgical center much earlier than your scheduled procedure, they will be doing bunches of stuff to you...you really won't have time to be starving!

If you want...wake up and eat at midnight! There really is no good solution to your problem. After surgery, you will be able to eat again...you won't actually starve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness