Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:09 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Or they could just believe me when I tell them what the boots weigh. Why would that be such a problem?

Don
You're asking them to do "critical thinking" for which they are completely incapable. You would probably be surprised at how long it took just to train them to utilize & read the scale, then write down the number that appears. Don't ask them to perform higher math---like subtract 6 from the number on the screen, they really aren't capable of that I'm NOT being sarcastic or facious . They hire the cheapest they can find, then wonder why the get what they pay for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 04:10 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
If they want me to remove the shoes, I will. If they want to record an obviously incorrect weight that is dumb.

Don in Austin
It's really dumb but I get the same thing. I walk in there with big heavy winter boots and I'm more than willing to take them off. I tell them the weight will not be accurate but they don't care. My height isn't accurate either with the boots. They don't care about that either. Funny how I must weigh so much less and be so much shorter in the summer.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:19 PM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
Doctors get paid to do procedures. If you see a surgeon, you NEED surgery. If you see a dermatologist, you need something frozen or biopsied. If you see a gastroenterologist you need a colonoscopy. Symptoms be hanged. If you have a PSA test, you will need a biopsy. Nevermind that the founder of PSA in his 80s now has NEVER had his own PSA measured. He has fought against PSA as a marker for cancer since the industry decided it was a cash cow.

You are the master of your own fate with the medical industry. Remember, a doctor in private practice is running a for profit business.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:35 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
I wear them everywhere. It is hard for me to find comfortable footwear -- especially in EE width. Carolina work boots have always worked for my feet.

Don
Go on the internet and find the URL for Hitchcock Shoes. They hve shoes for the hard to feet feet. I wear a EEEEE size 11 and they have a great selection in all sizes and styles.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:39 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Doctors get paid to do procedures. If you see a surgeon, you NEED surgery. If you see a dermatologist, you need something frozen or biopsied. If you see a gastroenterologist you need a colonoscopy. Symptoms be hanged. If you have a PSA test, you will need a biopsy. Nevermind that the founder of PSA in his 80s now has NEVER had his own PSA measured. He has fought against PSA as a marker for cancer since the industry decided it was a cash cow.

You are the master of your own fate with the medical industry. Remember, a doctor in private practice is running a for profit business.
I don't know of many doctors (if any) in private practice anymore. Not around here anyway. They are all in group practices. My doctor is pretty good (if only he had more than 10 minutes to spend with me) and he hardly ever asks for tests. He will ask ME if I want any tests. And he will want a cholesterol test every six months. I know this guy is a rare find and everyone I recommend to him really likes him.

Is it better to stick with the drs who are in group practices?

Old 11-07-2016, 05:09 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I agree with everything in the OP. After 5 years of going to the doctor 3-4 times a year (Type 2 diabetic) I am done. Almost everything they do is meaningless. I feel healthy, doctor admits he sees no complications, it doesn't make sense to put myself through the anxiety I go through to get the same results over and over. Last time I went I just flatly refused to have my BP taken - I told her what's the point? I have just driven 45 minutes in traffic, gone to the bathroom and they are already CALLING MY NAME. I don't sit down for one second before the cuff is out - and she is incompetent besides.

Once upon a time a doctor was interested in helping you, these days it's all "by the numbers." I decided I am better off to just take charge myself with diet, exercise and supplements. I know many won't agree with me but that's fine. I just feel that today, doctors find a list of "symptoms" and match them up with "prescriptions." No thanks.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:19 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I don't know what happened to the monopoly laws but in my neck of the woods (southern MN) you would be hard pressed to find a doctor who wasn't affiliated with the Mayo Clinic. They own nearly everything.

And they have very strict standards for doctors. Cost effective standards. IIRC they expect a doctor to spend no longer than ten minutes per visit with the patient unless it's for a procedure.

I feel sorry for the whole staff. It doesn't create the relaxed kind of atmosphere that is conducive to a healing environment. We do have excellent health care here but rushed.

But this is the way it is in most businesses today. It is the bookkeeper that runs the store not the person who makes the magic.

For the last six years or so they are teaching high school students how to do basic exams. They will be who we see when we get single payer medicine.

When I complain about having to instruct younger doctors and staff about correct practices DH always reminds me that every graduating class has its bottom ten percent.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:28 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
I don't have much faith in Doctors, I've been misdiagnosed, one I went to was arrested for fraud. He had a deal with a medical lab, he got over $750 in payoffs one year. Just about once a month or so he was recommending one, although the results seemed to vary, wonder if they really tested anything.
The "nurse" often isn't, they take a 10 months course as a "medical assistant", I was told by a cardiologist that they should use the larger cuff. When I tell them that, they always question me.
It seems the doctor rarely reads the medical records, or it seems side effects of whatever medication the salesperson is pushing as the drug of the month.
Maybe if we had "universal healthcare" and pharmaceutical companies didn't spend so much money on advertising, and bribes to politicians, (otherwise known as "donations"), or changing the formula for a drug to patent it longer, our healthcare system wouldn't be such a disaster, and maybe, just maybe, we could have lower infant mortality rates, less obesity, and even lower health care costs.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:32 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
If you see a dermatologist, you need something frozen or biopsied.
Not necessarily, I go to the dermatologist each year for a annual skin checkup to see if any of my moles (I'm a moley mess) are bad, and for 30 years have never had something frozen or biopsied. I think spending $20 a year to see a dermatologist, who could potential save my life, is well worth it!

Old 11-07-2016, 05:37 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
When I complain about having to instruct younger doctors and staff about correct practices DH always reminds me that every graduating class has its bottom ten percent.
I'm sure you've heard the joke/saying, what do you can the person who finished last in their class in medical school, doctor! Obviously, even the person who finished last in their class, barely passing, has a tremendous amount of training over the average Joe, but all doctors are not created equal, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness