Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:37 PM

13,249 posts, read 7,304,105 times

Advertisements

Interesting study in the UK Woman were 50% more likely to be misdiagnosed of having a heart attack. Woman are commonly told they are having a panic attack when in fact they are having a heart attack many were sent home only to die during the night.

Doctors failing to spot thousands of heart attacks in women with fatal results | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 12:05 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Just thinking about this and wondering why my integrative MD tested my homocysteine levels 3 yrs ago, perhaps due to elevated blood pressure and of course it was always higher when I went into her office. Here is info on homocysteine and I don't know how many MD's check their patients' levels. Meat eaters seem to have higher levels, and I've eaten meat all my life.

Homocysteine: Get the Facts on Who Should Be Tested

Just a couple months ago the D.O. I'm seeing alerted me to ibuprofen intake and elevated blood pressure, so I'm off that Nsaid NOW. I've been working for the last 3 yrs to lower homocysteine levels with B12, B6, folate and TMG. Last test my levels were coming down but I missed labs in 2015, so I'm due in a couple weeks so we'll see where the level is now.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:53 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Regular use of ibuprofen can cause kidney damage Acetaminophen can cause liver damage both aren't good long term use I take a baby aspirin everyday I have family history of heart disease. I want to get a heart score test my doctor refuses to order it Ill have to find another doctor. My PCP is a tier 1 provider which means his contract with my insurance try to save as much money as possible. He would not even order a cholesterol test a 2nd time in the year after I changed my eating to see how I was doing.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:30 AM

With your concerns, I would work with Prevention. I like what Dr. Sinatra offers for heart health.

//www.city-data.com/forum/daily...h-journal.html

Magnesium is so important and seems to be so overlooked.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:46 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,680,944 times
I am a perfect example.

I had a heart-bypass at age 43. I should not even be here, because one major artery was 99.9% blocked, and I walked around like that for over 3 months. I knew it was my heart early on, and in spite of the lousy cardiac history in one side of my family, and my symptoms, my doctor refused to even consider that it was my heart. But, see, I was a young female, looked even younger, and was fit - profile-wise, I was way off the radar. Indigestion, he said.

It got worse, to the point I could barely walk without pain, and getting another doctor is all it took. I just wish I hadn't waited so long. During the angiogram the cardiologist panicked and had me ambulanced out to another hospital where they bumped another patient to fit me in.

Doctors need to STOP THE PROFILING!

I did have a few panic attacks for about 3 years, and they can definitely feel like a heart-attack. I went to ER for it twice.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I am a perfect example.

I had a heart-bypass at age 43. I should not even be here, because one major artery was 99.9% blocked, and I walked around like that for over 3 months. I knew it was my heart early on, and in spite of the lousy cardiac history in one side of my family, and my symptoms, my doctor refused to even consider that it was my heart. But, see, I was a young female, looked even younger, and was fit - profile-wise, I was way off the radar. Indigestion, he said.

It got worse, to the point I could barely walk without pain, and getting another doctor is all it took. I just wish I hadn't waited so long. During the angiogram the cardiologist panicked and had me ambulanced out to another hospital where they bumped another patient to fit me in.

Doctors need to STOP THE PROFILING!

I did have a few panic attacks for about 3 years, and they can definitely feel like a heart-attack. I went to ER for it twice.
Your story brought back memories of my trip to the ER which turned out to be a panic attack. I was in my 60's and blood pressure skyrocketed and came out with a bunch of lorazepam and took 1/2mg for some time then found out about those dangers and so have been working with "calming supplements" and no problems since that one over ten yrs ago. There are supplements I've found that save me a lot of agony. I've found the value of inositol and gaba since that incident which I thought was a heart attack. Pretty scarey. And taking more magnesium daily. That trip to the ER was a wake up call.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
With your concerns, I would work with Prevention. I like what Dr. Sinatra offers for heart health.

//www.city-data.com/forum/daily...h-journal.html

Magnesium is so important and seems to be so overlooked.
Or, even better, prevention with the only scientifically proven method to prevent and reverse heart disease, as well as getting magnesium the way your body processes it best.

Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease Program | Make yourself heart attack proof

https://www.ornish.com/

The President of the American College of Cardiology Prescribes Vegan Diets

Abolishing Heart Disease - Nutrition Studies

HOW NOT TO DIE: The Role of Diet in Preventing, Arresting, and Reversing Our Top 15 Killers | NutritionFacts.org

Old 11-12-2016, 04:27 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Interesting study in the UK Woman were 50% more likely to be misdiagnosed of having a heart attack. Woman are commonly told they are having a panic attack when in fact they are having a heart attack many were sent home only to die during the night.

Doctors failing to spot thousands of heart attacks in women with fatal results | Daily Mail Online

I am a cardiologist (M.D.) practicing in the United States. There are stark differences in the way medicine is practiced in the U.K. and the United States. In the United States, no patient with chest pain is sent home. Everyone including women have cardiac enzymes drawn and are observed overnight even if we suspect their chest pain is secondary to anxiety or psychiatric issues. In the U.K., it is single payer and socialized health care. They simply cannot afford to admit and observe every chest pain patient overnight. This is why the United States has the best quality of healthcare in the world albeit it is also very expensive. You get what you pay for. This is why I have a lot of British patients who fly and pay cash to be treated by me in Arizona.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:03 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Regular use of ibuprofen can cause kidney damage Acetaminophen can cause liver damage both aren't good long term use I take a baby aspirin everyday I have family history of heart disease. I want to get a heart score test my doctor refuses to order it Ill have to find another doctor. My PCP is a tier 1 provider which means his contract with my insurance try to save as much money as possible. He would not even order a cholesterol test a 2nd time in the year after I changed my eating to see how I was doing.
Too much baby aspirin isn't good either. I was taking it for a couple of years. I noticed my ears were ringing so badly at night I couldn't sleep. It caused a bout of vertigo that hospitalized me and took me 6 weeks to recover from.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:17 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
'They did an ECG, but that didn't show anything, but then a few hours later, some blood tests came back and showed it was a heart attack.'

Probably many of them felt better and declined the blood test because they may have to stay in the hospital overnight. My mom declined the test after they asked her to stay overnight to test her blood the next day.

Heart Attack Symptoms, Treatment, Causes - How is a heart attack diagnosed? - MedicineNet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness