Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 07:55 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,549,537 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Sorry, but I've been having trouble with my sleep schedule. Mainly, I fall asleep when I don't need to be sleeping, usually during the afternoon after work, and I wake up when I don't need to be awake, like around 2:30 in the morning. I don't always take an afternoon nap to make up for the sleep I'm losing, and I usually get to sleep at around 10:00 or 11:00. I know my inability to take advantage of the whole day may account for some of my lack of productivity. I would like to change this, because it's difficult to accommodate any additional activities on my schedule if I'm craving a nap after work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 09:21 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
What were you doing when you first felt the need to take this long "nap"? Has that situation changed? Is it temporary or something long term that you need to put up with?

I'd do anything I could to stay up at least until 9:00 in the evening - otherwise you'll never break the cycle of waking up in the middle of the night and then needing the nap..and then waking up....etc. Drink some coffee or other caffeinated beverage...take an ice cold shower for a few minutes - more than one if needed! Go out for a walk, especially if it's cold outside, otherwise stay out doing something so you can't lay down and sleep. Doing that for a few days may help reset you sleep cycle. If you're tired at work for those days, so be it. Short term loss for a long term gain - so don't use that as an excuse to backslide.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:50 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,719,250 times
How much exercise are you getting?

When you get home from work, go for a walk, ride a bike, take an exercise class, do yoga, SOMETHING active.

How's your diet? Are you eating a lot of refined carbs - breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes, chips? If so, STOP! A diet heavy in refined carbs causes first a sugar rush (quick energy), then a sugar crash as the insulin in your body gets rid of all that sugar and stores all those extra carbs as FAT! (All carbs turn to sugar). That crash can make someone very tired.

TL/DR: get some exercise and eliminate refined carbs.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:04 AM

It does follow a pattern. I start needing this nap every time my day is full of activity, school or a full-time job for instance. I needed this nap when I was in high school. I also needed this nap when I started college and took early morning classes. Now, I sometimes need this nap after work. I don't always take this nap, but my body tries to make it up in other ways, including having me nod off at work sometimes.

I usually go to sleep at around 10:00 at night or later. My diet is full of sugar. I crave refined carbs in the form of fast food, and I reach for quick snacks in the morning to help get through the day. I don't always turn to options that are full of sugar, but I think I do it often enough, especially since I usually eat out of the cafeteria, and they serve potato chips with our entrees sometimes.

Last edited by krmb; 11-26-2016 at 11:33 AM..

Old 11-26-2016, 12:55 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Why is your diet full of sugar. I ate a lot of sugar as a younger person and my mouth is full of dental work. Change your habits, Lick THe Sugar Habit.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Why is your diet full of sugar. I ate a lot of sugar as a younger person and my mouth is full of dental work. Change your habits, Lick THe Sugar Habit.
Sugar is in almost everything; it's in fast food and processed food. It's in canned food, and, yes, it's in dessert. What's your suggestion? I could start shopping on the low-carb gluten-free isle. That might offer lower sugar options?

Old 11-26-2016, 03:32 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Read labels and stay away from lots of sugars. True it's in so much, but not in a nice bowl of brocolli and a nice salad and some semi lean meats. Don't bring cookies, donuts, bagels etc in your house if you want to curb the sugars. I was a candy bar freak and I haven't bought a bar in many years. They would also get me at the check out register. Temptations everywhere.

We can change.

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-26-2016 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-26-2016, 06:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,071,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Sugar is in almost everything; it's in fast food and processed food. It's in canned food, and, yes, it's in dessert. What's your suggestion? I could start shopping on the low-carb gluten-free isle. That might offer lower sugar options?
Look on the foods where they list ingredients, carbs will be listed. I was just diagnosed with type 11 diabetes this summer, and it is amazing the differences I needed to make in my diet. I was eating lots of pastas, which are very high carb. But, I did it....and reduced my a1c by half in 3 months.

Your low energy is likely totally related to how you are eating. Eat more proteins, eggs, beef, eat less carb/sugar even fruits have sugars.

You need to get a check up, besides your sleep schedule being messed up maybe you have something underlying that should be checked.

Lots of great websites online where you can look for reduced carbs recipes or lists of foods that are better for you.

These links will give you some ideas for better foods to eat.
5 Foods To Never Eat on Low Carb Diet

The Ultimate List Of 40 Low-Carb Foods

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...oods&FORM=IGRE

Nutrition: How to Make Healthier Food Choices

Nutrition: How to Make Healthier Food Choices

If you change one thing, stop eating at fast food places. The amount of carbs in hamburger buns is high. Potato Ole's are 92 carbs....Look online and find out how many carbs are in your usual burger meals. This link gives you info on popular fast food restaurant recipes: Fast Foods Carb info http://www.diabetesnet.com/food-diab...od-carb-counts

You need some carbs for energy, we all do....but eat a balanced diet, proteins are essential too. Just like as a kid when we learn how important the five food groups are, it is such valuable information.
I might suggest looking online also at WebMD and research what a healthy amount of carbs should be daily for your age and body type.
Good luck

Last edited by JanND; 11-26-2016 at 06:54 PM..

Old 11-26-2016, 07:10 PM

13 posts, read 11,012 times
Wink Sleepy Tyme

I was a coffee addict many years ago. This addiction caused sleeping and waking timing issues. I have found what works for me the best is to not drink caffeinated beverages at all. I lost the caffeine years ago during a Daniel's Fast. When I am tired, sleepy, can not keep my eyes open, checking my eyelids for cracks, the very best solution out of everything else that I have tried is to just sleep. Try to keep a sleeping schedule as others have suggested. I recommend staying just a little bit on the tired side if you are a hyper person. Being just a little tired means that I am also not under stress. I can not be under stress and sleepy at the same time. I also exercise very regularly but never two to three hours before sleeping time. A 15 minute mid-day nap is lovely, I'd have you know!

Old 11-26-2016, 09:42 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,719,250 times
Quote:
My diet is full of sugar. I crave refined carbs in the form of fast food, and I reach for quick snacks in the morning to help get through the day. I don't always turn to options that are full of sugar, but I think I do it often enough, especially since I usually eat out of the cafeteria, and they serve potato chips with our entrees sometimes.
Stop eating sugar. Stop eating fast food. Don't eat "quick snacks" - eat protein for breakfast - eggs, meat, cheese, almonds. Don't eat the chips. Learn to say, "No, thank you," when asked if you want fries with that. You don't want fries or chips with that...or ever.

Quote:
Yes, sugar is in many things. Learn to read labels and shop the perimeter of a store. Have some raspberries for dessert. Or 1 square of 90% cacao. Eat whole foods, not processed garbage. Eat broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, brussell sprouts, cabbage, zucchini, peppers, eggplant, romaine, spinach, mushrooms...eat chicken, beef, salmon, tuna, eggs, cheese.

Skip the bread, pasta, white rice, potatoes, chips, fries, cookies, cakes, donuts, bagels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness