Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:41 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,731,237 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My thread title is a bit misleading. I am due for a colonoscopy and could get one, but it is something that has me very apprehensive.

It's not the prep or fear of the unknown. It's the fear of the known. My first and last colonoscopy was 10 years ago and it was a disaster. I remember waking up in the middle of the procedure in such extreme pain that I was begging them to stop and hearing the doctor talk in frustration and having to cancel the procedure.
He later told me that my colon is abnormally long. Extremely long. So long that he ran out of scope. No wonder I was in pain with that entire tube stuck up all in me. I never wanted to go through that experience again.

But poof, 10 years have flown by and I really need one especially since I've had chronic bloating for most of the year. What should I do in my circumstance? Would virtual colonoscopy be a good option instead? I am uneasy about that procedure because it sounds like a lot of radiation is involved and I've already had some CT scans and countless x-rays in my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 08:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Hi everyone,

My thread title is a bit misleading. I am due for a colonoscopy and could get one, but it is something that has me very apprehensive.

It's not the prep or fear of the unknown. It's the fear of the known. My first and last colonoscopy was 10 years ago and it was a disaster. I remember waking up in the middle of the procedure in such extreme pain that I was begging them to stop and hearing the doctor talk in frustration and having to cancel the procedure.
He later told me that my colon is abnormally long. Extremely long. So long that he ran out of scope. No wonder I was in pain with that entire tube stuck up all in me. I never wanted to go through that experience again.

But poof, 10 years have flown by and I really need one especially since I've had chronic bloating for most of the year. What should I do in my circumstance? Would virtual colonoscopy be a good option instead? I am uneasy about that procedure because it sounds like a lot of radiation is involved and I've already had some CT scans and countless x-rays in my time.
In my experience colonoscopies have changed for the better in the last decade. But if I were you, I would take the report of my last colonoscopy to another doctor and discuss the problem.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:16 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
Just don't have this procedure done at the same place as your last one and you will be fine!

Old 12-08-2016, 09:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
froglipz is right.....colonoscopies SHOULD'T hurt. I've had two, and both times I was awake and watched them on a screen.
No pain at all.
Also, if you have a "virtual" one and they find anything at all, you'll have to have a regular one anyways.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I can understand your fear but as mentioned everything changes over the years,, so don't go back to old doctor, try a new one and let him/her know your concerns. They can advise you. I will add I am not a huge believer in having the procedure but realize it is a life savor for many. My guess is: you will get through the next one much better than the last and 10 years from now science will find a better way to screen for colon cancer.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:15 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,556,680 times
Any chance you are a redhead? A friend woke up during her procedure and felt the same why - never again. However, she later did a little research and apparently redheads sometimes need more medication to keep them under a little longer.

The prep/procedure has changed in the last 10 years so it may not be as bad as your first one. I would certainly discuss the issues you had with the first procedure with the doctor before scheduling an appointment to have it done. If they are aware of the issues with the first procedure they can look at alternatives to insure the second procedure goes more smoothly.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
I can understand your trepidation...and maybe this sounds crazy...but consider getting only very minimal sedation or anxiety-reducing drugs for the procedure. Research has shown that when the procedure is done without sedation there is lower risk for punctures, etc. and that's because the doctor is going more slowly and working more gingerly because YOU ARE AWAKE!

Unethical doctors can squeeze in more patients if they can go fast and may be rougher...you need a doctor who does a higher percentage of procedures without sedation. It might be hard to find because at least in the US, people have been brainwashed to believe they're crazy to not be sedated - in Europe there is far less reliance on sedation.

At least consider it...you can have sedation "at the ready" if you need it and it only takes a minute or two to administer and they can continue the procedure - and perhaps just having a doc who is experienced at unsedated will get you a better experience. Just don't delay too long because your health is important!!

Old 12-08-2016, 01:32 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,758,550 times
Can you talk to your primary care doctor, explain the problem of your extra long colon and see if there is a doctor that specializes in difficult cases? I think if the doctor knows going in about your issue, that things will be more likely to go smoothly. At any rate I would for sure find a different doctor. They have made a lot of advances in 10 years so I wouldn't put it off.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:52 PM

230 posts, read 173,197 times
I have Crohn's Disease and have colonoscopies quite often. There a new prep out and it's a pill. It's wonderful. The Go-Lightly sucks!

Old 12-08-2016, 02:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Hi everyone,

There is a pill colonoscopy where you swallow a pillow and it takes an image as it moves through the colon... you will have to find a place that offers it... no radiation..

What to Expect with the PillCam COLON Procedure - Given Imaging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness