U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 01:19 PM

5,703 posts, read 3,833,586 times

Advertisements

I've had sciatic and normally (Well for me) it's went through the butt cheek, not above it, but each of us may feel differently.

see if your company has chiropractic available for treatment....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 02:44 PM

13,287 posts, read 10,992,963 times
I would think there would be some tingling or numbness if it is a pinched nerve...

Old 12-12-2016, 03:10 PM

6,147 posts, read 5,766,167 times
This is an exercise the physical therapist prescribed for me to do for a similar pain. (Bear in mind that you should check with your own doctor or a physio before doing this.)

Lay flat on your back, legs stretched out straight. Bend your left leg and bring left knee over your right leg. Press a little on the bent knee with your hand. This stretches the muscle that goes through your butt cheek. Hold for a count of 20. Ditto right leg. You should feel stretching, but no pain. Stop if there is pain.

Also stretch your back by standing facing the wall, palms flat on the wall. Do a small lunge forward step with one leg, keeping back straight and hands on wall. Hold for a count of 20. Do the other leg ditto. Feel stretching but no pain, stop if there is pain.

There are several others, but these help most. I do a whole series of stretching exercises every day now. Yes, I'm overweight and mostly sedentary.

Look up exercises for "sciatic pain" and "piriformis syndrome". But you really should consult with a physical therapist to prescribe a good set of exercises for your specific issue.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:30 PM

1,139 posts, read 786,745 times
Thanks so much all and 601 especially. I truly believe it is not kidney and that I did something to myself while grabbing lip gloss that fell under the gas pedal while driving. I was flailing myself to try to reach it. Then went about carrying heavy laudry up 3 flights of stairs because nothing was wrong, yet.Really really dumb.
Going to an internist tomorrow and got several chiro referrals from friends at work.
I can.t take pain meds so that has me in a panic as well.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:30 AM

6,147 posts, read 5,766,167 times
Definitely go to a physical therapist, NOT a chiropractor. Ask your doctor for a referral.

When I had my problem in 2014 I went to my regular doctor, who told me: "Chiropractors work so that you have to keep going back to them. Physical therapists work so that you never have to see them again." Then he gave me the referral. I found that was true - I went to the PT once a week for three and a half months and have never needed to go back. My neighbors, on the other hand, constantly go to the chiropractor (at least 2x a month), and now the chiro they see has "discovered" that their son (age 13) needs to start coming regularly to be "adjusted", too.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:14 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,820,364 times
Having been through this, I agree with 601halfdozen0theother that a physical therapist is the way to go. They will guide you on exercises for the legs and back and also exercises to firm up your core and help your posture. You will learn what to do and then continue doing the exercises at home long after you are finished with your therapy sessions. Youtube has physical therapists that demonstrate a few basic execises, but when you go to a p.t., you will be getting a broad treatment for flexibility and for strengthening supporting areas. If you try these on your own, go easy.... don't over do it. Here's an example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oPHrX_oALk

Old 12-19-2016, 09:55 PM

4,853 posts, read 7,265,766 times
Yeah, another vote here for skipping the chiropractor.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:33 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,937,918 times
Kidney stones was the first thing that came to my mind, only because I have had them before (but it usually wouldn't be just a little pain). That's how everyone advises. Go to see your doc please.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:35 AM

676 posts, read 395,379 times
Could be the piriformis muscle. I have piriformis syndrome. It's truly a pain in the butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness