Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
So you were lecturing your doctor about how he/she should prescribe a different form of antibiotic because the risk of sepsis is preferable to a very small chance of tendinopathy?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
For many conditions, several different antibiotics are equally effective - if so, it's better to choose the one with fewer known side effects...sepsis would be most unlikely unless no antibiotics at all were given or one that was totally inappropriate.
Of course.

There's no point in killing a mouse with a flame thrower. Fluoroquinolones were developed to treat anthrax and ebola - seriously. They are VERY powerful drugs. Often a less problematic antibiotic can be prescribed.

But don't take it from me - take it from the FDA.

Quote:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is advising that the serious side effects associated with fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs generally outweigh the benefits for patients with acute sinusitis, acute bronchitis, and uncomplicated urinary tract infections who have other treatment options. For patients with these conditions, fluoroquinolones should be reserved for those who do not have alternative treatment options.
An FDA safety review has shown that fluoroquinolones when used systemically (i.e. tablets, capsules, and injectable) are associated with disabling and potentially permanent serious side effects that can occur together. These side effects can involve the tendons, muscles, joints, nerves, and central nervous system.

We previously communicated safety information associated with systemic fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs in August 2013 and July 2008. The safety issues described in this Drug Safety Communication were also discussed at an FDA Advisory Committee meeting in November 2015.
FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA advises restricting fluoroquinolone antibiotic use for certain uncomplicated infections; warns about disabling side effects that can occur together

Old 01-02-2017, 05:29 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I was diagnosed with bronchitis turns out it was pneumococcal pneumonia and I picked it up in a nursing home and the 3rd dr told me that if I had waited another day I probably would have died . I almost collapsed in the waiting room of the er . when they took my co 2 it was at 71 and the dr on call said OMG get her on oxygen now .....I was scared . I told him the other dr had said bronchitis and he said said my god was he blind ? LOL . He gave me something to help me breathe besides the oxygen and when I left the hospital I was still on oxygen therapy while recovering almost 4 months later . this was 6 yrs ago and I still believe it did something to my body and my lungs .

Old 01-02-2017, 05:42 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
While I had a major problem with being given CIPRO and having double vision for months, my daughter's back surgery was far worse. She had a device implanted which was recalled 2 years later. Basically the disks slipped and calcium grew on the device, and she is far worse off now than before. Her job requires that she walks constantly which she can no longer do, but she also cannot sit for long periods of time either without extreme pain. Great they recalled the device but what are people supposed to do who already have it implanted? Her doctor said it cannot be taken out. He also said she cannot be put on permanent disability. "Work from home" he said. Excuse me but she works in Security so how does she do that from home? My daughter is only 38 years old and has her whole life in front of her. What is she going to do? Now with Trump and the Republicans in charge, she is doomed.

I BEGGED her at the time not to have this surgery done. ALL medicine is a gamble and for non-life threatening procedures it is not worth the risk, no matter how much doctors want to assure you that everything will be fine so they can make their $$$$. Don't chance it especially when you are young and will have consequences to suffer for the rest of your life.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:47 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
While I had a major problem with being given CIPRO and having double vision for months, my daughter's back surgery was far worse. She had a device implanted which was recalled 2 years later. Basically the disks slipped and calcium grew on the device, and she is far worse off now than before. Her job requires that she walks constantly which she can no longer do, but she also cannot sit for long periods of time either without extreme pain. Great they recalled the device but what are people supposed to do who already have it implanted? Her doctor said it cannot be taken out. He also said she cannot be put on permanent disability. "Work from home" he said. Excuse me but she works in Security so how does she do that from home? My daughter is only 38 years old and has her whole life in front of her. What is she going to do? Now with Trump and the Republicans in charge, she is doomed.

I BEGGED her at the time not to have this surgery done. ALL medicine is a gamble and for non-life threatening procedures it is not worth the risk, no matter how much doctors want to assure you that everything will be fine so they can make their $$$$. Don't chance it especially when you are young and will have consequences to suffer for the rest of your life.
Get a lawyer . Her Health deserves compensation and Yes she can get disability. Its a matter of weaving thru the bureaucracy. So sorry that she is enduring this from the medical industry. ANd doubly sorry that Trump will put up more road blocks on disability.

Last edited by in_newengland; 01-03-2017 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: politics deleted

Old 01-02-2017, 09:09 PM

749 posts, read 856,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
For many conditions, several different antibiotics are equally effective - if so, it's better to choose the one with fewer known side effects...sepsis would be most unlikely unless no antibiotics at all were given or one that was totally inappropriate.
Yes broad spectrum antibiotics can treat many infections but they also kill normal bacterial fauna which may lead to side-effects, and resistance. That is why it is important to specifically target the bug causing the infection. In acute care setting at least, antibiotics are not given blindly but are prescribed depending on a culture and sensitivity test. In this case, cipro or fluoroquilones are prescribed for lower GI/UTIs, it's not like amoxicillin that is routinely prescribed. Given antibiotics just like all medication have arm-long lists of potential side-effects, how do you know beforehand what side-effects will affects your patient? Since there is no risk-free medication, the benefit should always outweigh the risk and based on this I believe it would be silly to stay away from fluroquilones for a peritonitis client because there is tiny risk of tendinopathy.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:38 PM

749 posts, read 856,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course.

There's no point in killing a mouse with a flame thrower. Fluoroquinolones were developed to treat anthrax and ebola - seriously. They are VERY powerful drugs. Often a less problematic antibiotic can be prescribed.

But don't take it from me - take it from the FDA.

FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA advises restricting fluoroquinolone antibiotic use for certain uncomplicated infections; warns about disabling side effects that can occur together
This is forum where users can freely give their opinion and there are a lot of theories circulating that one might consider silly or not. Most of the time it doesn't really matter because they are harmless. When it comes to the medical field I think we should be a little more cautious. Giving medical advises online is usually not a good idea, and certainly not when one isn't medically qualified. If you had a bad experience with a said medication, which I will assume is true and accurate, you can report your personal story but you cannot make generalizations if you only have your own experience to back it up. You see, whatever you post on here will be visible for thousands to read. Someone, someday might google "cipro side effects tendons" and stumble upon your post and, as silly as it sounds, base a poor decision on it.

Last edited by seixal; 01-02-2017 at 09:47 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 10:35 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had a reaction to a common antibiotic (which has since been re-reviewed by the FDA and had a lot of additional warnings issued to medical professionals, including warnings that must be read to the patient by the pharmacist before dispensing the drug). This supposedly safe drug (Cipro) destroyed both my Achilles tendons, resulting in several years of disability, and surgery to rebuild them. Very, very frustrating.

But that wasn't really a medical mistake - it was just a doctor using a bazooka to kill a hypothetical mouse. Cipro and that family of drugs was developed to fight very serious infections - literally anthrax and ebola. But until this latest round of precautions by the FDA, many doctors were prescribing these very powerful (and potent) drugs for minor infections, because, well, because by golly they WORKED - but it was really overkill.
To be honest it has taken time for the risks of Cipro to become apparent.

It was not developed just to treat anthrax; it is effective against a wide range of gram negative bacteria. It will not treat Ebola at all, since that is a virus. People with Ebola also develop superimposed bacterial infections and it is necessary to treat those with antibiotics.

The risk of Achilles tendon rupture in the general population is about 5.7 in 100,000. The risk with fluoroquinolones is 17.7 per 100,000, so even though the risk is about three times higher with the drug it is low overall.

http://fqresearch.org/pdf_files/use-...on-rupture.pdf

Old 01-02-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
This is forum where users can freely give their opinion and there are a lot of theories circulating that one might consider silly or not. Most of the time it doesn't really matter because they are harmless. When it comes to the medical field I think we should be a little more cautious. Giving medical advises online is usually not a good idea, and certainly not when one isn't medically qualified. If you had a bad experience with a said medication, which I will assume is true and accurate, you can report your personal story but you cannot make generalizations if you only have your own experience to back it up. You see, whatever you post on here will be visible for thousands to read. Someone, someday might google "cipro side effects tendons" and stumble upon your post and, as silly as it sounds, base a poor decision on it.
Don't lecture me.

I gave very clear links to the FDA and that's where I got my advice from as well (which I quoted verbatim in my posts). It was all over the news this past year as well, with interviews with people just like me relaying stories just like mine.

Of COURSE fluoroquinolones should not be removed from the market. Of course they are appropriate treatment for some conditions. I have never said or implied otherwise. They should not, however, (according to the FDA) be prescribed if other milder antibiotics would likely be effective.

Quote:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is advising that the serious side effects associated with fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs generally outweigh the benefits for patients with acute sinusitis, acute bronchitis, and uncomplicated urinary tract infections who have other treatment options. For patients with these conditions, fluoroquinolones should be reserved for those who do not have alternative treatment options.
An FDA safety review has shown that fluoroquinolones when used systemically (i.e. tablets, capsules, and injectable) are associated with disabling and potentially permanent serious side effects that can occur together. These side effects can involve the tendons, muscles, joints, nerves, and central nervous system.

As a result, we are requiring the drug labels and Medication Guides for all fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs to be updated to reflect this new safety information. We are continuing to investigate safety issues with fluoroquinolones and will update the public with additional information if it becomes available.
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm500143.htm

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-02-2017 at 11:42 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
To be honest it has taken time for the risks of Cipro to become apparent.

It was not developed just to treat anthrax; it is effective against a wide range of gram negative bacteria. It will not treat Ebola at all, since that is a virus. People with Ebola also develop superimposed bacterial infections and it is necessary to treat those with antibiotics.

The risk of Achilles tendon rupture in the general population is about 5.7 in 100,000. The risk with fluoroquinolones is 17.7 per 100,000, so even though the risk is about three times higher with the drug it is low overall.

http://fqresearch.org/pdf_files/use-...on-rupture.pdf
I understand that - I used the example of anthrax to illustrate that it was developed to treat VERY serious and lethal infections that are resistant to other milder forms of antibiotics (same with the bacterial infections caused by ebola which fluoroquinolones are used for).
MMS: Error

The danger from these drugs is not only achilles tendon rupture:

Quote:
The FDA's safety review found that when used in tablet, capsule, or injectable form, the drugs are associated with disabling and potentially permanent side effects that can occur in combinations, affecting tendons, joints, muscles, nerves, and the central nervous system.
FDA issues safety warning on fluoroquinolone antibiotics | CIDRAP

The first "black box warnings" about such possible side effects were issued in 2008, which was nine years ago.

Quote:
The FDA aired earlier concerns about the drug side effects in 2008 and 2013, and its advisory committee discussed the issue at a meeting in November 2015.
FDA issues safety warning on fluoroquinolone antibiotics | CIDRAP

From 2012 - five years ago:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...-effects/?_r=0

Quote:
In some cases, these medications are life-saving, but they do harbor some serious side effects. Studies link these drugs to damage in the lining of the aorta, the largest blood vessel in the body. Evidence suggests that fluoriquinolones can cause two kinds of damage to the aorta: dissection (tears) and aneurysms (bulging or enlargement). These conditions weaken the walls of the aorta and may lead to leaks or rupture which can be fatal.

These drugs are also linked to permanent, painful nerve damage called peripheral neuropathy and tendon ruptures that can leave people disabled.
https://www.drugwatch.com/cipro-levaquin-avelox/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness