Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you circumcised/intact and are you married/single?
I'm circumcised and married 30 55.56%
I'm circumcised and single 13 24.07%
Intact and married 6 11.11%
Intact and single 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:40 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Nope, not mutilation. If it were, doctors would refuse to do it.
Well you have shot yourself in the foot there somewhat as the reality is many doctors DO refuse to do it in many countries of which that link is only one example from many.

That said however, your claim is not true at all. Given the right arguments any doctor could submit to a procedure that OTHER people might consider mutilation.

Take Apotemnophilia for example which is a form of body integrity identity disorder (BIID) where patient present with a hatred of one of their own limbs, or a feeling of intense discomfort or even pain caused merely by the existence of this limb.

We are quite close, in many ways, to understanding this condition at the level of the brain. But not enough that we can treat or cure it. So because many doctors will not "mutilate" the patient by removing the limb...... people with this condition have to simply live with it.

But many surgeons will. Surgeons who understand the neurological underpinnings of the condition and understand that removal of the limb is quite often the ONLY path to alleviating the patients suffering or maximizing their well being.

So defining "mutilation" in terms of what some doctors would, or would not, do is a massively poor method of defining it and one that is prone to any number of errors and inaccuracies. Many doctors DO refuse to do it. Many do not. Doctors are as prone to their own opinion, and differing opinions to each other, as are you and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 07:56 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
So defining "mutilation" in terms of what some doctors would, or would not, do is a massively poor method of defining it and one that is prone to any number of errors and inaccuracies. Many doctors DO refuse to do it. Many do not. Doctors are as prone to their own opinion, and differing opinions to each other, as are you and I.
Thanks you for this comment.

To this day I find it amazing that there are Doctors that refuse to believe....that since I am PAYING THEM for their expertise....IT IS MY DECISION, not theirs.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
In America, we put down Muslims for genitally-mutilating their daughters, but we do it to our sons routinely. Although I would not know about this directly, they say that when one is ready for action, you can't tell the difference. The warhead gets unsheathed, regardless of whether the flap has been plucked.

About my own experience at age 3, I was not informed about anything, both before and afterwards. I was placed in a surgical chair and my life was put at risk, by fully anesthetizing me with the primitive ether gas. When I woke up, my poor little unit hurt like hell and did so for several days. My pleas for an explanation, were ignored. Discussions regarding any such subject, were not allowed at our house. I was treated just like a head of livestock in a pasture, with a knife taken to his genitals, at the pleasure of his masters.
You cannot be serious! Young muslims girls are mutilated so they can never, ever, enjoy sex. That did NOT happen to you so get over yourself. I'm sorry you had such weird parents. But livestock are neutered, and you were not. I'm sure your parents had reasons for why they waited until you were three but seriously, it's not that big a deal.

You sound like one of those special snowflakes we hear so much about. Personally, there's nothing worse than a whiny man.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Thanks you for this comment. To this day I find it amazing that there are Doctors that refuse to believe....that since I am PAYING THEM for their expertise....IT IS MY DECISION, not theirs.
Well that too in fairness has to be mediated by medical ethics. "The customer is always right" is not a mantra that should automatically be taken over to medical practices. There are limitations and caveats where the informed and educated opinion of a doctor DOES have to over ride what the consumer wishes.

The most obvious example is that Doctors often diagnose patients with a virus. And the patient will strongly demand anti-biotics. Anti-biotics do not treat viruses. So no matter how much a patient says "since I am PAYING THEM for their expertise....IT IS MY DECISION, not theirs." and reality is the exact opposite and the doctor should very much over rule the wishes, demands, and ignorance of the patient. Not just for the good of the patient in that moment, but for the well being of our entire society as a whole.

This is not, and should not, be simply another case of the consumer-provider dynamic you would be use to in other contexts. Here the customer is not, and should not, be entirely King.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 7,226 times
Its funny how this forum has turned into another debate on the issue of foreskin removal. If so, let me share something with y'all.

Intactivism is a popular thing these days. But it is also true that a lot of people driving it are women and men who have already been circumcised at birth and, for some inexplicable reason, feel as if they were gypped.
Meanwhile, I would suggest that intactivists take a look at the 95 page long multiyear thread on Men's Health forum website where men share their experiences of going through adult circumcision procedures. I assure you wont see many who regret doing so, even with all the disruptions that the surgery causes in the first week or two. The most common comment you will see is that guys typically regret not having it done sooner.

Since starting this poll thread I have gone through a surgery of my own. I really wish this was done when I was born. I feel gypped, but unlike so many foreskin defenders, I KNOW the difference.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:09 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My FIL fought in WW2 and in Germany. He told stories of how the Nazis would pull down the pants of POW's to see if they were circumcised, and be identified as Jewish. For Americans, Jewish or not, it was a very common practice in the US then so the Nazis could not tell who was Jewish or not. Again, this was my FIL told us.

Have it done as an adult? I worked with man years ago who had it done for Medical reasons. Since I processed medical claims for the corporation, I knew about it but never said. It still got around the office, if for no reason than he, let's just say, was not his normal self. All the male employees were making jokes about him. If you had asked him, I highly doubt he would recommend being circumcised at 30 years old. Yes, insurance does cover a circumcision for a medical reason.

My husband and SIL are, but my Grandsons aren't, which was not a pre-determined decision. The hospital staff never got around to doing it with my older Grandson, so my daughter and SIL just decided not to bother with their younger son. I am sure at some point in time Dad is going to have to explain to his sons why he looks different. If he doesn't lie, he cannot say to them it was because they were against circumcision. They aren't. Purely accidental circumstances.
Our adopted grandsons just had it done at age 5 & 7. They had trouble with infections. No problem with the procedure or recovery, they were actually excited to have it done.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:58 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
I think you will find that many of the Baby Boomers and The Greatest Generation will say they are cut. As medicine advances people are finding out that the operation isn't necessary, it's the Millennials who be the generation that starts to take the question seriously.

Except for religious reasons; cutting the end of your son's penis off doesn't make sense. Oh, yes the cleanliness and all that...bull. My last son was not cut and there's no problems (it's called basic hygiene).

In nursing school we were forced to watch 2 separate operations. There are two ways to cut the penis end off. Both boys screamed so long and loud. It was horrifying. After that I had my last son and said "NO;" if he wants to do it later let him, but I'm not cutting it off.

To each their own...

Old 04-28-2017, 08:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Personally, I prefer the look of a banana without the peel. I've dated both circed and non-circed men and I prefer the former. Of course, it's the guy's decision and I'd respect that. Just stating my preference. My husband is circed
I always wondered if women preferred crew necks to turtle necks.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:39 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
I just had to grin at looking down and thinking and say: didn't realized I am damaged goods and NOT Intact. But you seem so normal my friend .... you just look more the same whether your more active and tense as when calm and taking a nap. What's wrong with that?

Last edited by DavePa; 05-17-2017 at 06:24 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 11:45 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
un circumcised and married. Most of my male relatives as well. Does not really make a difference.

they say it stays cleaner when circumcised, but un circumcised supposedly protects against germs/diseases.

It is really a silly willy thing. I would be horrified to see my sons member get circumcision ,and dont see a real need for it. Pleasure is pleasure, let me live how the creator made me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness