Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times

Advertisements

after having low BP my entire life, I am now not only suffering with High BP but also just discovered the readings vary in each arm. I'm confused and doctor I'm using seemed baffled too. He's increased my Valsartan 3x times now and BP still hasn't normalized. In fact it remains the same.

What I'm asking (mainly) is has anyone else noticed or been treated for the difference in arm readings

I have made an apt with a new doctor and will see her in a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 09:58 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
after having low BP my entire life, I am now not only suffering with High BP but also just discovered the readings vary in each arm. I'm confused and doctor I'm using seemed baffled too. He's increased my Valsartan 3x times now and BP still hasn't normalized. In fact it remains the same.

What I'm asking (mainly) is has anyone else noticed or been treated for the difference in arm readings

I don't think it's all that rare to have one's BP vary arm to arm. Mine does and my doctor wasn't at all surprised. My brother had the same thing.

Do you also take your BP at home? I suffer from "White Coat Syndrome," a situation where my BP tends to go sky high when I'm at the doctor's office. The first time I went to my current physician, she noted my high reading at the beginning of the appointment. Near the end of our appointment, she guided me through some relaxation breathing exercises, then took my BP again and it was normal. She told me to get a home BP monitor, bring it in to see if it was accurate, and take my BP routinely at home.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I don't think it's all that rare to have one's BP vary arm to arm. Mine does and my doctor wasn't at all surprised. My brother had the same thing.

Do you also take your BP at home? I suffer from "White Coat Syndrome," a situation where my BP tends to go sky high when I'm at the doctor's office. The first time I went to my current physician, she noted my high reading at the beginning of the appointment. Near the end of our appointment, she guided me through some relaxation breathing exercises, then took my BP again and it was normal. She told me to get a home BP monitor, bring it in to see if it was accurate, and take my BP routinely at home.
thanks and yes- I take my BP at home 2x a day. It's been averaging 158/90 using left arm. Now today I began charting both arms.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:12 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:

How big a difference is it, and (if we may ask!) how old are you?

A significant difference may indicate an underlying problem.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/436713

Would you post your pressures here after you have done them for a few days? The article above tells you how to do it properly.:

"Standard measurement technique must include measuring the blood pressure with an appropriate-sized cuff at the level of the right atrium, with the patient rested for 5 minutes, and with her back supported."

The "level of the right atrium" is where you would expect your heart to be and assumes using an arm cuff, not a wrist one.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:41 AM

371 posts, read 365,531 times
Quote:
thanks and yes- I take my BP at home 2x a day. It's been averaging 158/90 using left arm. Now today I began charting both arms.

your BP is way to high.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:47 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
your BP is way to high.
She knows that. She has started treatment for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness