Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:02 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
When I see someone with a beer belly I think, well, of course, he drinks beer. Why else would he have a beer belly. But also they seemed to do other things that health minded people wouldn't do like eat hot dogs and eat potato chips with dip when watching a game while drinking their beers and not paying any attention to what they are doing to their bodies but just enjoying life to the fullest. In comparison the health nut seems to limit their enjoyment and it seems kind of a sterile lifestyle. My uncle was so fat that he couldn't get up from a couch but had to roll off while pushing himself up. For years and years he ate everything a person shouldn't eat and he ate a lot of it. Sugary, fattening, cholesterol causing junk food and he lived into his mid 80's. I suppose he could have lived longer but he enjoyed life when he had it and that was the main thing in his mind, at least it must have been.
I would have hated to be one of his pallbearers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
I enjoy life too. I'm 70. I look at least 10 years younger.

I don't have heart disease. I don't have emphysema. I don't have adult-onset diabetes. I don't need knee replacements. I can climb stairs and breathe at the same time. I don't need to wear a CPAP machine at night. I don't have dowager's hump. When I bend over, I can nearly place my palms flat on the floor. When I sit down, my stomach isn't sitting on my lap. I don't have to circle the parking lot waiting for a spot close to the door. I can carry my own groceries out to the car. I can hold the door open for people who can't hold it open for themselves.

You think these are minor things? Ask someone who can't say the same.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:15 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
When I see someone with a beer belly I think, well, of course, he drinks beer. Why else would he have a beer belly. But also they seemed to do other things that health minded people wouldn't do like eat hot dogs and eat potato chips with dip when watching a game while drinking their beers and not paying any attention to what they are doing to their bodies but just enjoying life to the fullest. In comparison the health nut seems to limit their enjoyment and it seems kind of a sterile lifestyle. My uncle was so fat that he couldn't get up from a couch but had to roll off while pushing himself up. For years and years he ate everything a person shouldn't eat and he ate a lot of it. Sugary, fattening, cholesterol causing junk food and he lived into his mid 80's. I suppose he could have lived longer but he enjoyed life when he had it and that was the main thing in his mind, at least it must have been.
Most obese people don't live to 80, esp if they carry their weight around their midsection. He was a rarity. So let's get that out in the open. Obese people die young. My obese mother dropped dead at 68, after years of dealing with heart trouble. Same thing for my overweight grandpa. My obese sister had a massive stroke at age 50. This is all supported by statistics and is very normal for unhealthy, obese people.

No, they don't enjoy life more. No one wants to be fat and unhealthy. Eating junk food, drinking a lot of beer, and such makes a person not feel good, less energetic. They are unable to control their habits and tend to be depressed.

What you think of as a sterile life and your use of the term "health nut" is what healthy people call a good life.

I've lived a healthy lifestyle, and I've gone through the gaining weight, unhealthy lifestyle. The healthy lifestyle is much much better. I feel so much better, happier, more energetic, my cheeks are rosier, I look younger. Eating a lot and gaining weight...after you eat all that good stuff, what have you got? It's just transitory gratification that doesn't last, and you're left with a roll around your middle and maybe high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Like being an alcoholic. Or a smoker.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:28 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
I try to live life in-between. I am far from being as slim as I could be, but I'm also not overweight (although I'm toward the higher end of the "healthy" BMI scale for my height vs. the lower end). I eat what I want, but I do so in moderation. You'll never see this girl turn down a plate of nachos, but I don't eat the whole plate, either. I love to drink (which has contributed a lot to my weight gain) but I don't drink every night and try to make semi-healthy choices like gin and tonic vs. really sugary cocktails. I walk on my treadmill 5+ days a week but don't beat myself up if I miss a day.

I could work harder and restrict myself more and have a "hot body," and I've done similar in the past, but it's not worth it to me. I've tried restricting and counting every single calorie that I ate and working out twice as much, and although I was slimmer, I was miserable. There have also been times in my life when I "let myself go" and ate and drank what I wanted, and I was miserable then, too. Being middle-of-the-road has worked for me for years and what seems to leave me happiest and healthiest overall...and yes, I do have a tiny bit of a beer belly. :P

Old 01-27-2017, 11:40 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Not all beer drinkers have big bellies, not all big bellies are due to beer drinking.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:50 PM

903 posts, read 862,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Honestly, even the most healthy die and some prefer to enjoy what they want all the time.
So what, their choice to be happy how they want.

Mic drop*

OP, seriously, why do you care? Enjoy your life and let others enjoy their life. It's none of your business.

I'm working on getting in better shape but I just indulged on a homemade pizza and board game night with my friends and their children. My kid and I had a great time. I road 25 miles today and I'll have to ride 50 miles to work off the gorging of tonight. C'est la vie. Nobody gets out alive. Live the life you want and enjoy the company of people you enjoy hanging out with. The rest is noise.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I have twin brothers who are both BIG. They both hover around the 280-300 lb mark. Their bellies aren't from beer only. They just never watched what they ate for years and slowly put it on without a care.

I on the other hand watched what I ate and although I SO disliked not eating whatever I wanted to, I am slightly overweight, not obese. Sure, I could have been as big as them, but I watched what I ate and cared about my looks and health, when they didn't.

I would NOT say that they are any happier than I am, in fact one is miserable and the other is constantly talking about dieting but never seems to stick to it. If he loses 15-20 pounds, that's a big deal to him but meanwhile he's still 275 or more after losing those 20 pounds. Then he just eats/drinks it back on.

Neither of them can squat and get up without aid. One of them fell outside in the dark one morning taking his garbage to a dumpster and said he yelled and yelled until someone heard him and helped him up. He just laid there instead of even trying because he KNEW he couldn't get up.

I find that pitiful and told him he'd better start doing some squatting exercises at the gym he goes to. (he plods along for 10 minutes on a treadmill and calls that "working out") It's a joke.

So to answer the OP's title, NO I do not agree that larger people enjoy life more than the health-minded.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:22 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
All of you who state that those you speak of do not enjoy life really do not know if they do or not.
You do not know their thoughts and feelings, you only see what you want to see and assume the rest.

Some of the healthiest people drop dead, have heart attacks and strokes, get cancer, develop diabetes and they are one of the chosen poster children for perfect health *right next to all of you*.
So how does that happen? What is your explaination for all of these healthy people having this happen to them?

Quit being so quick to blame everything on what you believe is unhealthy and tend to your own pantry.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:12 AM

176 posts, read 216,973 times
I find larger people are less judgmental about others appearances or life styles than slim / fit folks.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:53 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
It seems to me your uncle sex life must have been horrible. Or non existent...
And who can be happy when you can not get your carcass out of a couch.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness