Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:40 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd add that I had a lot of trouble for a couple of days because of the way the procedure was done. I don't know if it's still done the same way. I'd have to assume a lot of improvements have happened since 1980.

But, when I had it done, an incision was made just under my naval, and so the surgeon could see things easily, as I recall, what was done is they pumped a lot of some type of gas into my abdomen, just under my skin, to move the skin out of the way, while the procedure was done.

Then, they tried to remove as much of the gas as possible from my abdomen, but quite a bit of it remained in my system. This caused a lot of discomfort and gas for a couple of days. I stayed with a friend who nursed me, and my daughter stayed with a friend. But, I was down for the count for a couple of days.

My periods had always been heavy before the procedure, and they were heavy after the procedure. I never noticed them being worse or any different. So, the procedure didn't seem to make things any different for me, as far as my periods went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 03:09 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
I had mine done at age 30, after wanting one for years (got it done in 1983). My doctor was very saddened because he loved kids, and he asked me, "Are you a lesbian?" ! I told him that I knew I didn't want to be a parent, wouldn't want a man who wanted to be a parent, and although I thought abortion was terrible (that was a lie) I'd have one if I had an accidental pregnancy. So he went ahead and got me a TL.

I had no difficulties afterward and no syndromes or anything else. I went into menopause at 51 and it was the best day of my life, to get rid of that pain and bloating and sickening kicked-in-the-stomach feeling.

My sister had two kids at age 20 and 25, had some sort of tubal when the second kid was born. It was such a bad idea for her personally that my parents offered to pay for an abortion, and this was 1970, when it wasn't legal in her state but the doctor would have given one given her mental status.

After a second marriage and somewhat less misery in her mind, she got pregnant ten year after the surgery. Her husband objected, but she had an abortion. Apparently, if one gets a tubal "tie" or anything short of burn/cut/remove, the tubes can grow back because the body goes into healing overdrive from the birth.

I have never regretted it for a minute. I did lose one maybe great guy over it- he always wanted to be a parent and we were clearly going in different directions. (He did have one child and a bitter divorce and is now a very unhappy lonely man, but I think raising his son was the only thing he felt great about).

Old 02-03-2017, 06:21 AM

560 posts, read 452,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I thought I'd add that I had a lot of trouble for a couple of days because of the way the procedure was done. I don't know if it's still done the same way. I'd have to assume a lot of improvements have happened since 1980.

But, when I had it done, an incision was made just under my naval, and so the surgeon could see things easily, as I recall, what was done is they pumped a lot of some type of gas into my abdomen, just under my skin, to move the skin out of the way, while the procedure was done.

Then, they tried to remove as much of the gas as possible from my abdomen, but quite a bit of it remained in my system. This caused a lot of discomfort and gas for a couple of days. I stayed with a friend who nursed me, and my daughter stayed with a friend. But, I was down for the count for a couple of days.

My periods had always been heavy before the procedure, and they were heavy after the procedure. I never noticed them being worse or any different. So, the procedure didn't seem to make things any different for me, as far as my periods went.
Oh the gas they pump you with. I've had that gas for my gallbladder removal and when my doctor did an exploratory lap looking for endo. The gas is the worst and it gets stuck like right in the shoulder for me. I know they still inflate you with the gas. I know some doctors go in through the belly button now. I'm sure that all goes down to doctor preference though.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-03-2017, 06:23 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times
the gas dissipating was the worst pain of the entire procedure for me...... and yes, it goes right up one side of the body..... took my breath away!!

Old 02-03-2017, 06:25 AM

Thank you to everyone who has replied thus far! I've gotten way more response then I thought I would. It's very helpful to hear everyone experience and I appericate everyone choosing to share with me

Old 02-03-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
the gas dissipating was the worst pain of the entire procedure for me...... and yes, it goes right up one side of the body..... took my breath away!!
When I had my gallbladder removed that pain was the worst. It just wouldn't go away. I've had the gas twice and it still doesn't get any better the second time.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:42 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
I would find a different OB. Way back with #2, my OB said hed do it when i was 21. ( i didnt and im glad).

Old 02-03-2017, 03:32 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Hi,

Has anyone had a tubal ligation? If so how old were you? Did you have any kids? What was the outcome? If you had a tubal and had side affects, did you come off birth control or have another condition? What method was the tubal? Did anyone have an endometrial ablation with the tubal?

I have always been against having kids, when I date I don't date people who want kids. I am not a motherly person and I am happy with just having dogs. I have other female issues, that will keep me on birth control until I go through menopause. My mother is aware I do not want them and is on board with me having my tubes tied. My friends who know me also support me in my choice. However, given my age my doctor is hesitant to agree because I could "change my mind", she said she would do it at 26, I will be 24 in March. I would not change my mind on this and I am putting together letters of support from my PCP all the way to my friends who know this choice is one I am sure of. I research everything and I read, watch youtube videos and I hear alot about post tubal ligation syndrome. I saw in research articles on pubmed that there no support of this medically. I know everyone bodies are different and this will not help my other female issues. This is something I want and I would like to hear other experience on the matter.

Thanks!
got mine tied when i was 25. i was single and had zero kids. it was 1990.

no side effects.

no regrets.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
got mine tied when i was 25. i was single and had zero kids. it was 1990.

no side effects.

no regrets.
Thank you for sharing

Old 02-04-2017, 07:50 AM

96 posts, read 101,043 times
I had my procedure done at 28 after the birth of my 3rd child. Best decision I ever made!!! I was wide awake through the procedure. My tubes were cauterized, so I did feel a weird pinching pain. Also, I did start per-menopause in my mid-30s. I was fully done with menopause (12 month thing) by 45 years old. I'm not sure if the procedure was related to me going through early menopause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness