U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-12-2017, 02:10 AM
 
12 posts, read 268,801 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

So, on my lower back I have these two movable balls that I can move when I try to feel them and press on them its mobile. They feel like bone, hard and one of them is right next to my spine the other ball is on my left side next to spine also but farther than the one on the right. I have had these balls for years ever since I was like 15 and I'm 20 now. I always had back pain but it was upper back pain. Partly, because I'm a very athletic person and was very active and I had exercise induced asthma. I would feel pain around the balls in my lower back, but it was reasonable just rest, ice, heat and Ill be okay. Since I have been an Elite athlete , I have a high tolerance for pain and I know what soreness is. This pain is way different , it feels like sharp, throbbing, almost achy pain. But now, I have a job that requires me to bend down and the balls are causing me so much pain. I'm not even as active as I used to be but whenever I seem to do physical activity or bending and general anything that requires my lower back to be in contact hurts. Now the pain is so uncomfortable and almost debilitating like I can even bend down without feeling such a sharp pain where those balls are. Sometimes, its so sharp it literally takes my breath away, and I have to stop moving for a second to let the pain pass. Its hurting more daily now, it used to be just when I did a lot of physical activity now it more of a daily pain now. I'm sitting right now , and it hurts , walking around it hurts, and sometimes just laying down, and even sleeping the pain doesn't go away. When I lay down , it seems to take off pressure in that area but it still hurts. I ice, and apply heat and take pain relievers and nothing is helping. I don't know what to do this pain is intolerable now. I press on the ball it doesn't hurt but when I press directly around the balls it hurts. I literally everyday, get the urge to just cut my back open and rip them out.

I just want some advice , if anybody has had this problem. What type of doctor did you see?

Thanks
MG
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2017, 03:12 AM
 
13,507 posts, read 16,465,442 times
Reputation: 37885
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmg1738 View Post
So, on my lower back I have these two movable balls that I can move when I try to feel them and press on them its mobile. They feel like bone, hard and one of them is right next to my spine the other ball is on my left side next to spine also but farther than the one on the right. I have had these balls for years ever since I was like 15 and I'm 20 now. I always had back pain but it was upper back pain. Partly, because I'm a very athletic person and was very active and I had exercise induced asthma. I would feel pain around the balls in my lower back, but it was reasonable just rest, ice, heat and Ill be okay. Since I have been an Elite athlete , I have a high tolerance for pain and I know what soreness is. This pain is way different , it feels like sharp, throbbing, almost achy pain. But now, I have a job that requires me to bend down and the balls are causing me so much pain. I'm not even as active as I used to be but whenever I seem to do physical activity or bending and general anything that requires my lower back to be in contact hurts. Now the pain is so uncomfortable and almost debilitating like I can even bend down without feeling such a sharp pain where those balls are. Sometimes, its so sharp it literally takes my breath away, and I have to stop moving for a second to let the pain pass. Its hurting more daily now, it used to be just when I did a lot of physical activity now it more of a daily pain now. I'm sitting right now , and it hurts , walking around it hurts, and sometimes just laying down, and even sleeping the pain doesn't go away. When I lay down , it seems to take off pressure in that area but it still hurts. I ice, and apply heat and take pain relievers and nothing is helping. I don't know what to do this pain is intolerable now. I press on the ball it doesn't hurt but when I press directly around the balls it hurts. I literally everyday, get the urge to just cut my back open and rip them out.

I just want some advice , if anybody has had this problem. What type of doctor did you see?

Thanks
MG
I could teach Bad Back, unfortunately.

Those things in your lower back sound very strange to me. I would get an appointment pronto with an orthopedist (bone doctor), have him take a look at the structure of your spine and get some images of it. He may then tell you to take any test results to a neural surgeon (nerve doctor). After this you should have a good idea of what is going on and what may be done for it.

You are going to get a zillion posts about what exercises to do. But, given what you have described and the progression of your problem, postpone any exercise program until you know what is going on. You could make problems worse. I would skip the chiropractors that are going to be suggested to. I did this, and one made the problem much worse and he had a super-duper good rep.

Don't monkey around, get a thorough mainstream medical analysis of your problem first.

And, good luck to you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2017, 03:59 AM
 
Location: Hawaii/Alabama
2,093 posts, read 3,671,280 times
Reputation: 5848
mmj1738~

I, too have these painful spots (I call them nubbies). They (at least in my case; please see a Dr for a dx) are a part of SJI (sacroiliac joint dysfunction). In many cases it is caused by hypermobility and along with ice, heat and ibuprofen or naproxen a brace can help to ease the pain.

What works for me is to lie upon the floor with golf balls under the moveable balls in your back (start with tennis balls). I usually do this for 20 minutes several times a day. You may have to work up to any significant amount of time, and it may really hurt when you first begin. Again, see a Dr before you do anything as I am not a medical professional.

I, too was an athlete (gymnastics, cheerleading) and pain is the reward that I have reaped. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2017, 12:41 PM
 
12 posts, read 268,801 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I could teach Bad Back, unfortunately.

Those things in your lower back sound very strange to me. I would get an appointment pronto with an orthopedist (bone doctor), have him take a look at the structure of your spine and get some images of it. He may then tell you to take any test results to a neural surgeon (nerve doctor). After this you should have a good idea of what is going on and what may be done for it.

You are going to get a zillion posts about what exercises to do. But, given what you have described and the progression of your problem, postpone any exercise program until you know what is going on. You could make problems worse. I would skip the chiropractors that are going to be suggested to. I did this, and one made the problem much worse and he had a super-duper good rep.

Don't monkey around, get a thorough mainstream medical analysis of your problem first.

And, good luck to you.
I just don't know what doctor to see what if its abnormal tissue? or what if it is nerve problems ? but what if there is misalignment in my bone? I think it could be lipoma which is fatty tissue buildup. Also I do not have health insurance so that also another consideration but I mean this pain is intolerable. That I can't even move without pain, so I guess I will have to be in debt. I just hate that you have to see a your general doctor so they can bill you just to send you to freakin specialist
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2017, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,857 posts, read 62,081,954 times
Reputation: 19293
If you don't have insurance, you can just call the orthopedic surgeon yourself.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2017, 01:22 PM
 
12 posts, read 268,801 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If you don't have insurance, you can just call the orthopedic surgeon yourself.
Are you sure? Like how do you know? I have called a specialist before for a different problem and they required a referral from my General Doctor. So, I'm not sure how I can just call up a surgeon ? Not trying to be rude , but I just find that hard to believe. Unless you have done that before ?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2017, 02:36 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 13,598,250 times
Reputation: 12468
Check this video, which refers to them as "back mice." It helps determine if they are those, or something more serious:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ow3uwRdSg0
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2017, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,857 posts, read 62,081,954 times
Reputation: 19293
Most of the referral problems stem from insurance issues that require them. I have always just called whatever specialist I needed to see but maybe it's different where you live. Did you emphasize that you would be a cash patient?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2017, 07:54 PM
 
12 posts, read 268,801 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Most of the referral problems stem from insurance issues that require them. I have always just called whatever specialist I needed to see but maybe it's different where you live. Did you emphasize that you would be a cash patient?
I live in North Carolina, and no I didn't mention being a self-pay patient. Your lucky, I think in NC you have to have referrals to see a specialist which is stupid. When I did call for another medical problem, they shot me down basically saying we can't help you unless you get a referral.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2017, 07:57 PM
 
12 posts, read 268,801 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Check this video, which refers to them as "back mice." It helps determine if they are those, or something more serious:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ow3uwRdSg0

I looked into back mice also, but it still confuses me why exactly it is causing such much pain it even hurts to walk, and basically do anything physical and sitting down and getting up and bending down is sharp pain. It almost feels like where the lumps are that its being pulled whenever I bend down or bend at the hip.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top