Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:21 PM

659 posts, read 898,829 times

Advertisements

I've had it happen twice. The first time I was about 16 and the second time 22. SEVERE pain in the side. It's the worst pain I've ever had. Both times I went to the ER. I was told that if a male came in with those symptoms, depending on the side it was on (I forget which, I had it with both sides those 2 times, the first time was the appendix side), he would be checked first for a burst appendix.

Years later when I rushed my boyfriend at the time to the ER I asked the doctor to check his ovaries . I'm glad they both had a sense of humor about that. He had his appendix out that night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 75,057 times
Has anyone had their doctor suggest trying the Mirena IUD as a last resort before a hysterectomy? I have two "pretty significant" fibroids and an enlarged uterus. My doctor suggested trying the IUD before surgery. It will supposedly help my periods (heavy, big clots, etc.) and will keep the fibroids from getting bigger. However, it won't reduce the size of what I already have. That's a problem for me because I have constant low back pain and frequent pelvic discomfort (crampy feeling). I talked to another ob/gyn doctor I know and he said the uterus is attached to the spine by ligaments and when you have an enlarged uterus and/or fibroids, it can pull on the ligament thereby causing the back pain. So, for this reason, I don't think an IUD is the answer for me. Not one person has suggested I try it (other than my doctor's office). Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a Mirena??

Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl2008 View Post
Has anyone had their doctor suggest trying the Mirena IUD as a last resort before a hysterectomy? I have two "pretty significant" fibroids and an enlarged uterus. My doctor suggested trying the IUD before surgery. It will supposedly help my periods (heavy, big clots, etc.) and will keep the fibroids from getting bigger. However, it won't reduce the size of what I already have. That's a problem for me because I have constant low back pain and frequent pelvic discomfort (crampy feeling). I talked to another ob/gyn doctor I know and he said the uterus is attached to the spine by ligaments and when you have an enlarged uterus and/or fibroids, it can pull on the ligament thereby causing the back pain. So, for this reason, I don't think an IUD is the answer for me. Not one person has suggested I try it (other than my doctor's office). Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a Mirena??
No but5 thanks for posting that bit of info about the uterus, ligaments & back pain.

I've had an IUD before and if someone suggested it, yeah I'd try it. It's a pretty easy insertion and comes out easy as well. If it works, then you lucked out without having to have surgery

Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
I had burst cysts for years, alternating sides every month. I guess they were small ones, because there was only a slight tenderness for a day or so. But I never had PMS or cramps, so it wasn't a big deal. As for IUDs, I've had several, and as far as birth control goes, they don't work all that well. But neither do the pills, either. I did have some friends back in high school who took them as a way to regulate their cycles, and they did work for that.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:52 PM

7 posts, read 128,562 times
i've been on the pill for 3 months now and i feel much better i still get my periods and a little pain when i'm starting but not that intense pain like before. i've had all the tests and ultra sounds just waiting for the 4 month ultra sound for a check-up...i've started dieting like my dr wanted. still having that brown discharge inbetween periods tho had a test done the other day for that came back normal so not sure why i still have that...just wondering when i go off the pill will i have this pain again? tc!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto4 View Post
i've been on the pill for 3 months now and i feel much better i still get my periods and a little pain when i'm starting but not that intense pain like before. i've had all the tests and ultra sounds just waiting for the 4 month ultra sound for a check-up...i've started dieting like my dr wanted. still having that brown discharge inbetween periods tho had a test done the other day for that came back normal so not sure why i still have that...just wondering when i go off the pill will i have this pain again? tc!
Interesting that your tests came back ok, mine did too.

I had a new pap and an HPV test done a few weeks ago, everything was normal.

I think I'm going to find a new GYN, I still have the bad pelvic pain, the discharge and horrible periods. It's not normal for me to be throwing as many clots as I am.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 PM

7 posts, read 128,562 times
you know i think i spoke to fast or i really should not talk about it cause maybe it's bad luck, i just finished writing last night on here about the pain being finished...and today it's bothering me. i got my period on wednesday jan 7th 2009 and now it's sunday the 11 th and i'm having some pain...maybe it has to do with ovaulation,but i thought the pill was suppose to stop ovaulation what's the pain from i wonder? and i thought i wasn't suppose to get a period on the weekend cause of the pill what's happening with that? i just started the 3 rd pack of pills...anyone know much about the pill?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,601 times
Default Ovarian Cyst??

I've had pain in my left lower abdomin, right where the ovary is for 3 days. If I push down on that side, it hurts. I also have lower mid-back pain and I feel pressure in my rectum like I need to go but don't have to. Is this an ovarian cyst or something else??

Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,781 times
Ladies! I can personally tell you the one thing that will help all of your menstrual problems--MENOPAUSE.

Yes, it really did seem to solve all of the pain, excessive bleeding, polycystic ovaries, etc for me. Interestingly, despite all of the problems that I had, I sort of flew through menopause quite easily, only a few minor hot flashes.

Who would have thought you can look forward to the change??

Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry40 View Post
I've had pain in my left lower abdomin, right where the ovary is for 3 days. If I push down on that side, it hurts. I also have lower mid-back pain and I feel pressure in my rectum like I need to go but don't have to. Is this an ovarian cyst or something else??
I've been dealing with that for a while and at one time (years ago) I was checked out, they found nothing.

The rectum pressure you're feeling, if you're like me, it isn't coming from the rectum but inside your cervix. This I've found happens more around when I ovulate.

How old are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness