Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:36 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,201,734 times

Advertisements

So today's silly query - these guys are always smoking in the building lobby which the management allows don't say call the cops, the health inspector, osha whatever - done it - useless

I can actually smell the cigerette where I work - now the windows and doors are closed but I guess the smell or maybe the smoke makes it way because I can tell you exactly when someone goes to lite up and how long they are smoking for

Guy tells me don't worry - you're not exposed to the 2nd hand cigarette smoke - you only can smell the smell but you're not breathing in the smoke - the SMOKE is not reaching you - only the smell.

Well it doesn't actually FEEL or LOOK smoky - I'm wondering

Can you actually just be exposed to the SMELL of cigerette smoke - as unpleasant as that is - without actually being exposed to the toxic SMOKE itself

And how would you know if its smell or residual smoke - before you know - the lung cancer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 07:32 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Thread moved from Other Topics

Last edited by toosie; 03-05-2017 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Thank you In NewEngland!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
There is such a thing as third-hand, fourth probably too. Other hand, first-hand stress can be worse than lots of other hands. So, don't worry, be happy, and "kill" two birds with one stone.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
This was in the news again recently - but the article I'm finding is a couple of years old.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf.../#3ba083c265d4

Basically, further studies have shown that *in general* the risk of lung cancer from second hand smoke is pretty miniscule.

For food servers / bar tenders who may have been exposed to second hand smoke 8+ hours a day in a confined space, sure maybe they did have some increased risk.

But for a non smoker who just happens to occaisionally be in the presence of a smoker; there's really no issue.

That said - if it's a work / employment issue - I suppose you could always complain to your manager about your working environment (like people with strong reactions to perfumes do). There's just no gurantee they'll do anything.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:41 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Again? Why do people think that the residual smell is going to harm them? People who smoke smell of it. Their hair, clothing, belongings and homes smell. That's not going to kill you. Walking past someone standing at the curb smoking isn't going to kill you. Being in LA during an alert isn't going to kill you.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:53 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
My wife and I were heavy smokers for decades. What we did not realize, at the time we smoked, was how bad we smelled! People tend to make excuses for their bad habits. When non-smokers complained or backed away; we wrote it off as people with sensitive noses. It was not until we gave up smoking that we actually realized how bad we did smell and how bad our smoking friends smelled. We even changed friends because we could not stand to be in a car with some of our old, smoking, friends and they did not want to spend hours not smoking trapped with the non-smokers.

If there was some way to let heavy smokers experience their true smell; perhaps more would willingly give up. One of our old 'close' friends took pride in her appearance, but if she would converse with you in your personal space; it was like you were opening a very used casket - unless you were also a heavy smoker!

Old 03-09-2017, 08:12 AM

2,139 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
So today's silly query - these guys are always smoking in the building lobby which the management allows don't say call the cops, the health inspector, osha whatever - done it - useless

I can actually smell the cigerette where I work - now the windows and doors are closed but I guess the smell or maybe the smoke makes it way because I can tell you exactly when someone goes to lite up and how long they are smoking for

Guy tells me don't worry - you're not exposed to the 2nd hand cigarette smoke - you only can smell the smell but you're not breathing in the smoke - the SMOKE is not reaching you - only the smell.

Well it doesn't actually FEEL or LOOK smoky - I'm wondering

Can you actually just be exposed to the SMELL of cigerette smoke - as unpleasant as that is - without actually being exposed to the toxic SMOKE itself

And how would you know if its smell or residual smoke - before you know - the lung cancer
You smell smoke because you are exposed to smoke.

Don in Austin

Old 03-10-2017, 12:04 AM

Smoke outside, and please, wash your hands when you come in. Done.

I still like the smell of a good cigar.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:02 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
This was in the news again recently - but the article I'm finding is a couple of years old.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf.../#3ba083c265d4

Basically, further studies have shown that *in general* the risk of lung cancer from second hand smoke is pretty miniscule.

For food servers / bar tenders who may have been exposed to second hand smoke 8+ hours a day in a confined space, sure maybe they did have some increased risk.+
Lung cancer from 2nd hand smoke miniscule, I agree!

My nonsmoking mother was with my smoking father for 60+ years of marriage, he smoked a good many of those years, 3 packs a day, in an 800 foot house in MN, with the windows just open a crack in winter time, and at age 86, she never once had any respiratory problems as a result of it.

I currently have a patient on my ward, in a LTC/Rehab facility, with COPD, lived in L.A. most of her life, and she smoked. Now, living in L.A., during the smog pit days of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's, breathing in that air was the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day, and with her smoking 1 pack a day, during those days, 1 + 2 = 3 packs a day!

The nose is an interesting part of the body, one of the more adjustable organs of the body. People wonder how can homeless people deal with all the smells they encounter living with other smelly homeless people, quite simply, it was gradual process, to where they had "lost their smell".

Growing up in a smoking household, I can't ever remember complaining about the smell of smoking, or going to visit a neighbor, where they all smoked in their house.

Today, you'd nose it immediately!

Old 03-11-2017, 11:06 AM

^^Friend of a friend lost his sense of smell, car accident, head injury, when he was in his 20s. He probably lost a lot of weight.

My sense of smell has noticeably diminished over the years for various reasons. My parents smoked, and I grew up with the stench, and didn't notice it. A lot of people smoked then. They could smoke in offices, movie theaters, and restaurants. It wasn't "a thing" decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness