Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 03:23 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

There is a whole school of thinking on this calcium and so many are taking calcium and neglecting magnesium. Someone mentioned soymilk, nah, messes with the thyroid for starters. I don't drink milk but use nut and coconut milks where I need creamers.

I don't have osteoporosis and I'm 79 soon but calcium is NOT my main focus...I've been taking more magnesium to calcium ratio for years. Here is JUST one info site.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3775240/

I do take D3 and K2 and my beloved magnesium, daily.

Pathetically, magnesium is so overlooked by mega millions and fractures continue in the older for sure. Best forms are citrate and glycinate, not oxide.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-...fractures.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 06:04 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Exercise, ie, walking, bicycling, is a great way to help fight osteoporesis too. I was told I had osteopenia, the numbers were not high enough, or low enough, I guess it is, for the diagnosis of osteoporesis, thank goodness. I started exercising on a combination elliptical/recumbant bike we have at home here several years ago (for 45-50 min 5 days a week), and my last bone density result from last summer showed scores very close to 1.0 (ie, normal). I also take a calcium and Vitamin D supplement, which was recommended by my primary physician. I will hit my 70th birthday in about 2 weeks.

I also have a friend (in her mid-70's now), who was diagnosed with osteoporesis a number of years ago and took Fosomax for a number of years. She developed severe GERD from it and had to discontinue the Fosomax. She started exercising (she walks in her neighborhood and in the gym on a treadmill), and eventually improved her bone density numbers from a diagnosis of osteoporosis to osteopenia-even without the medication.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Soy milk is much better in terms of calcium.
No - it doesn't:

Calcium in Milk vs. Homemade Soy, Almond and Rice Milk

Dairy milk holds the highest amount of calcium compared to other milk alternatives. Drinking three cups of milk per day can effectively keep you safe from calcium deficiency. The naturally occurring calcium in soy is only about 1/6 of the amount found in dairy. Therefore, homemade soy milk contains only about 50 milligrams of calcium in each 8-ounce serving. Almonds and rice have even less calcium by nature. Each 8-ounce cup of plain almond milk contains a meager 2 milligrams of calcium, and less than 1 milligram is found in rice milk. Therefore, homemade or unfortified soy, almond and rice milk should not be used to replace cow's milk as a source of calcium.

So - unless heavily FORTIFIED, soy milk has only 1/6 as much calcium as the same amount of skim milk. It also has slightly less protein.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:38 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Seconding the rejection of milk as a source of calcium. I suggest a form advertised as "Isotonix" which is supposed to be several different forms of calcium taken as a powder mixed with water and is easily absorbed.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I am only mid 50s - isn't that kind of young? I drink a lot of milk and am active physically.
Do weight bearing exercise; it makes a huge difference.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There is a whole school of thinking on this calcium and so many are taking calcium and neglecting magnesium.<>
+1 on the magnesium. I forgot to mention it. We take that too, in the same Isotonix form.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:00 PM

Oh, and by the by there is actually a big scandal with the procedure. Search "bone density fraud". Here's a sample:
https://empowertotalhealth.com.au/th...oporosis-scam/

I am not a doctor, and no advice or suggestions on the forum should be used instead of consulting with a real doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness